Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 AM

141 posts, read 321,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Bullying is a terrible problem in US public schools. Where/when does Australia show up in TV or film?
I suppose the most famous examples would be 'Crocodile Dundee' and Steve Irwin. Coincidentally, both Paul Hogan (from 'Crocodile Dundee') and Steve Irwin married American women! I love it when American men try and say and combine those catchphrases from Hogan and Irwin, like, "Crikey, put a shrimp on the barbie!" Haha, they sound so sweet! I wonder what kind of reputation Australian women have overseas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I've heard stories from American guys who met Australians in the US, and the Australians, as another poster here put it, were "very honest with their opinions" of women. I guess there was foul language. That's what several people have said over the years. Back around the 90's.
I hope it didn't involve one of these phrases: "Women are only good for one thing; Keep women barefoot and pregnant; and Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen." Haha...I heard those in high school in the '90s.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:55 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfrapp View Post
I hope it didn't involve one of these phrases: "Women are only good for one thing; Keep women barefoot and pregnant; and Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen." Haha...I heard those in high school in the '90s.
oops, well, let's hope it was a passing fad, lol! I've heard nothing about Australian women. Consider that a compliment along the lines of: "No news is good news."

Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Some might be. Not the ones I associate with.
This is a really good point in general. It's impossible to characterize an entire nation with a general sweeping statement. Within every nation or nationality there are regional differences, class differences, other types of socio-economic variables like education, and other factors that result in wide variation when discussing any one characteristic. Someone presents a view of American women that to me, sounds as though they're describing a different country or ethnic group. If I say men in X part of the world are (or were) known for being sexist, someone says, "there may be men like that, but they're not the sort I rub elbows with". Point well taken. Let's all bear this in mind as we discuss.

My impression of American women is that it generally isn't acceptable for Anglo-Americans to be loud. There's still some of that Victorian or Puritan influence that discourages exuberance in women. Or even in men. Compare Anglo-American women to African American women in that regard. Totally different culture. It's actually a relief to have an environment in which it's ok to enjoy a good, hearty laugh instead of having to repress it into a ladylike giggle. It's fun to be able to cut loose and be silly and wild and, yes, loud, now and then, rather than prim and proper. It's still not socially acceptable for women to be loud in certain circles or some parts of the US, though this, I'm sure, is changing.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
oops, well, let's hope it was a passing fad, lol! I've heard nothing about Australian women. Consider that a compliment along the lines of: "No news is good news."
Haha, I actually heard on the radio the other day (Nova-FM) about how Australian men still insist that the old adage 'Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen,' works a treat on the ladies! Haha...Needless to say, a few women rang into the station to say otherwise! Haha, I hope Australian women are thought of as extremely nice and beautiful!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:25 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
This is a really good point in general. It's impossible to characterize an entire nation with a general sweeping statement. Within every nation or nationality there are regional differences, class differences, other types of socio-economic variables like education, and other factors that result in wide variation when discussing any one characteristic. Someone presents a view of American women that to me, sounds as though they're describing a different country or ethnic group. If I say men in X part of the world are (or were) known for being sexist, someone says, "there may be men like that, but they're not the sort I rub elbows with". Point well taken. Let's all bear this in mind as we discuss.

My impression of American women is that it generally isn't acceptable for Anglo-Americans to be loud. There's still some of that Victorian or Puritan influence that discourages exuberance in women. Or even in men. Compare Anglo-American women to African American women in that regard. Totally different culture. It's actually a relief to have an environment in which it's ok to enjoy a good, hearty laugh instead of having to repress it into a ladylike giggle. It's fun to be able to cut loose and be silly and wild and, yes, loud, now and then, rather than prim and proper. It's still not socially acceptable for women to be loud in certain circles or some parts of the US, though this, I'm sure, is changing.
American and Aussie women seem to be loud for world standards, that's for sure.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:33 AM

261 posts, read 497,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfrapp View Post
I also think Australian women value their friendships with other women, to boost their self-esteem and confidence. As for the differences in Australian men and American men - I haven't really met many American men, but I will say the American men seem to have a different 'vibe' about them, regarding relating to women. For example, Australian men seem so happy in the company of other men, but when women enter the room, it's like they give off a vibe that says, "What are these women doing here?" Like we've ruined their male-bonding session. But with the few American men I've seen, they have that vibe of, "Hello, ladies," like they actually want to interact with women.
you are so spot on in your assessment of American men. A woman here in the US (most states I can safely say) will be noticed and men are so wonderful here. They are true gentlemen. I never got that there, but figured it was just a bias against Americans in general. I thought the men there are extremely attractive, as they are here in CA, but they didn't care for me there. Oh, and the men here are better groomed, they smell nice and wear clean shirts. I love all men though, but get treated better here in the US. And that is what matters most.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
you are so spot on in your assessment of American men. A woman here in the US (most states I can safely say) will be noticed and men are so wonderful here. They are true gentlemen. I never got that there, but figured it was just a bias against Americans in general. I thought the men there are extremely attractive, as they are here in CA, but they didn't care for me there. Oh, and the men here are better groomed, they smell nice and wear clean shirts. I love all men though, but get treated better here in the US. And that is what matters most.

Haha, oh, good! I'm glad I wasn't just imagining things! Yeah, I love that "hello, ladies" vibe that a lot of American men have! It's just very cute and flirty! In Australia, the men tend to just stick to their mates, or, if they're forced to work with women, they'll treat the women like one of their 'blokey mates' (and the women basically have to act like 'one of the boys' to be accepted by them). Pubs in Australia back in the '70s were 'men only' zones, and even now, there's definitely a 'male-bonding' vibe about them. So, that's where that "what are these women doing here?" vibe comes from (disrupting their male-bonding session)!

I was trying to find an example on the internet between the difference between the two 'vibes' they give out. And there's this hilarious interview with an American man (the 'old spice guy') with a bunch of blokey Australian men on Nova. Now, the Australian men are used to treating Ricki-Lee as 'one of their blokey mates.' But then the American man comes in with a "hello, ladies" vibe, and it's all over! Haha...Basically, it's just a massive flirt-fest, and it's very entertaining! Enjoy watching, and make sure you look after all of those cute, flirty men over there!

Old Spice guy seduces Ricki-Lee!! - YouTube

Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Maybe American men are just a bunch of Leisure suit Larry's who are really suckers. Aussie men don't fall for Sheila's funny business, i.e. 'female charms' .

Wonder if this translates to American women have this sense of entitlement?

Old 07-27-2012, 10:12 AM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Australian male/female dynamics must be the strangest in the western world. There seems so little to say to one another....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand