Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Cairns 10 66.67%
Darwin 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 04:53 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

I have been to Cairns and quite enjoyed it despite there being a bit of tension in the air I remember. There seemed to be a noticeable number of down and out people there. Perhaps that's changed? Darwin looks really fascinating with its small compact size and multicultural character, not to mention the amazing nature in the surrounding area. The only bad side seems to be crime and the odd cyclone from what I've read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 06:48 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I've visited much of Australia but somehow have always missed out in seeing Darwin. Cairns i found to be beautiful--much tropical planting, views of the mountains, a very appealing central business district..
If things return to normal i plan on visiting Australia again this coming February and as always i debate whether I should visit Darwin. The good, detailed information that the previous posters have made still make me undecided.
Crime being a problem and disincentive to me. Didn't know Darwin had such issues.
And Feb. being winter here in the states, makes me seek warm temperatures elsewhere but the Big Wet in Darwin sounds fearful and uninviting?
Feb would not be the best time to visit Darwin. Saying that there would be far fewer tourists to contend with and less of the attractions like the beach markets for example operating.

Darwin has some serious crime issues. Folk do not keep all those large dogs on their property for show. Just like NT is not called the state of the 'Broken Jaw' without some call.Violence is somewhat normalised and there are warnings to tourists about venturing into the city mall after nightfall. Although I did so countless times without any mishap but have witnessed quite a lot of aggression over time in Darwin in one way or another.
Darwin has a very large ingenious population many that come in from the interior and become 'long grass' sleepers. When I was there this was tolerated, but authorities came down hard on Back packers and Van travellers that attempted to do the same or sleep overnight in their vans.
There is a 'rough' side to Darwin rather evident to longer stayers, but shouldn't really impact on tourists which is a bit disconcerting no doubt to those on the receiving end, such as a number of Back packers that mentioned bad treatment in terms of bullying and abuse at certain work places. Not all by any means, but heard enough times to conclude it is not all laid back 'cool' Caribbean type vibes , if I can put it that way.
But going on a holiday, few of these issues should be of real concern. As I said, a great place to get out and about in the way of parks and nature.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I have been to Cairns and quite enjoyed it despite there being a bit of tension in the air I remember. There seemed to be a noticeable number of down and out people there. Perhaps that's changed? Darwin looks really fascinating with its small compact size and multicultural character, not to mention the amazing nature in the surrounding area. The only bad side seems to be crime and the odd cyclone from what I've read.
Both Darwin and Cairns, due to weather and I suppose reputation attract a certain sort of Southerner as well.
Those being people of limited means, very limited too often, who somewhat struggle to be able to around the cost of living in the tropics and/or give every appearance of suffering various forms of mental illness or at least alcohol abuse.

Quite a few migrants, move South after a time in NT due to crime levels and better opportunities elsewhere.
While a lot of passing through Back packers stay within their own community of travelers, in both cities, a lot of more settled migrants that I crossed paths with in Darwin had no intention to remain in place.
A number had entered Australia on condition of working a period of time for often sponsored employer (as it was at the time) but wanted out as soon as possible.

Great places to spend time. Living is obviously something else though and may not be enough there to satisfy the majority over time.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:04 PM

Another factor just came into mind. Darwin has a very high number of people sent there to work from SA and other places, but most not intending a permanent stay. Thus, Darwin has the highest number of renters compared to other cities in Australia by far.
Cairns, although I did not live as long, appeared far more settled with folk actually from there and/or making it home even if from elsewhere originally.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:26 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Feb would not be the best time to visit Darwin. Saying that there would be far fewer tourists to contend with and less of the attractions like the beach markets for example operating.

Darwin has some serious crime issues. Folk do not keep all those large dogs on their property for show. Just like NT is not called the state of the 'Broken Jaw' without some call.Violence is somewhat normalised and there are warnings to tourists about venturing into the city mall after nightfall. Although I did so countless times without any mishap but have witnessed quite a lot of aggression over time in Darwin in one way or another.
Darwin has a very large ingenious population many that come in from the interior and become 'long grass' sleepers. When I was there this was tolerated, but authorities came down hard on Back packers and Van travellers that attempted to do the same or sleep overnight in their vans.
There is a 'rough' side to Darwin rather evident to longer stayers, but shouldn't really impact on tourists which is a bit disconcerting no doubt to those on the receiving end, such as a number of Back packers that mentioned bad treatment in terms of bullying and abuse at certain work places. Not all by any means, but heard enough times to conclude it is not all laid back 'cool' Caribbean type vibes , if I can put it that way.
But going on a holiday, few of these issues should be of real concern. As I said, a great place to get out and about in the way of parks and nature.

Thanks for the advisories. The picture of Darwin seems somewhat like the Alice Springs i once visited. It was the only place in Australia i ever felt a little nervous in.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:13 PM

570 posts, read 508,691 times
Quote:
Both Darwin and Cairns, due to weather and I suppose reputation attract a certain sort of Southerner as well.
Those being people of limited means, very limited too often, who somewhat struggle to be able to around the cost of living in the tropics and/or give every appearance of suffering various forms of mental illness or at least alcohol abuse.

Quite a few migrants, move South after a time in NT due to crime levels and better opportunities elsewhere.
While a lot of passing through Back packers stay within their own community of travelers, in both cities, a lot of more settled migrants that I crossed paths with in Darwin had no intention to remain in place.
A number had entered Australia on condition of working a period of time for often sponsored employer (as it was at the time) but wanted out as soon as possible.

Great places to spend time. Living is obviously something else though and may not be enough there to satisfy the majority over time.
I haven’t been to Darwin, but from international friends from Spain, they loved their experience there and I can see the appeal. Amazing national parks with incredible sunsets, the markets, the general vibe on the beach, the friendliness, the uniqueness, the weather in the dry season. I think it’s a city with a lot of potential being the gateway for the Australian outback and Asia. During the pandemic flights to the UK stopped in Darwin instead of Singapore. I think that all flights from Australian airlines stopping in Darwin would be way more cost beneficial and it could bring a lot of tourism for Darwin (instead of using Singapore). The city needs to modernise more. I went recently to Langkawi in Malaysia and I’m sure that you can’t even swim there but the way that Malaysia has invested in the city with so many activities to do, a super modern airport, a beautiful landscape are an example for Darwin. Darwin is only 2 hours from Bali! 2 hours from the Aussie wonders; the Great Barrier Reef, Uluru, Broome. Halfway between Singapore and Sydney/Melbourne (4hours) and course, easiest access to China - The best geographically located in Australia in terms of connection. Hopefully the gov can see the potential soon and invest more. There’s already a high magnet from backpackers escaping the winter in the south, and i believe seeing a jumping crocodile in the river is a very aussie thing to see.

Last edited by usuariodeldia; 05-08-2020 at 12:23 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
I haven’t been to Darwin, but from international friends from Spain, they loved their experience there and I can see the appeal. Amazing national parks with incredible sunsets, the markets, the general vibe on the beach, the friendliness, the uniqueness, the weather in the dry season. I think it’s a city with a lot of potential being the gateway for the Australian outback and Asia. During the pandemic flights to the UK stopped in Darwin instead of Singapore. I think that all flights from Australian airlines stopping in Darwin would be way more cost beneficial and it could bring a lot of tourism for Darwin (instead of using Singapore). The city needs to modernise more. I went recently to Langkawi in Malaysia and I’m sure that you can’t even swim there but the way that Malaysia has invested in the city with so many activities to do, a super modern airport, a beautiful landscape are an example for Darwin. Darwin is only 2 hours from Bali! 2 hours from the Aussie wonders; the Great Barrier Reef, Uluru, Broome. Halfway between Singapore and Sydney/Melbourne (4hours) and course, easiest access to China - The best geographically located in Australia in terms of connection. Hopefully the gov can see the potential soon and invest more. There’s already a high magnet from backpackers escaping the winter in the south, and i believe seeing a jumping crocodile in the river is a very aussie thing to see.
Darwin has modernised over recent decades. Lots of new building developments and waterside construction.
Still it is obviously wanting. The expense is a definite feature in dissuasion along with the high crime and lack of good medical facilities. It has a very young population. It has a very transient population.
I recall for decades talk of making Darwin the Northern Gateway to Australia. Countries like Indonesia would play a large part in opening up that part due to closeness in areas like trade, investment and education/tourism. It never seems to pan out to much over the years. I would imagine the longer term future will rest somehow with Asia and probably many more Asian immigrants needed to really get things firing on all cylinders will be required to create a sustainable future as well as a locality in the region.

You can most certainly swim in Langkawi. There are some lovely beaches. The island was boosted by declaring it a Duty Free Zone, back in the eighties. I happened to be living there at the time. That kicked off local tourism and international followed later. But it is easy to get to. Ferries run from the mainland Penang for example as well as Thailand.
Rather different from Darwin, which is both expensive to reach and options limited to air or road.
It may not be necessary what Asian tourists are seeking, many coming from tropical countries themselves.
Many want shopping to flashy Western style examples of living although many of their cities would compete on at least an equal footing on those grounds as well.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Thanks for the advisories. The picture of Darwin seems somewhat like the Alice Springs i once visited. It was the only place in Australia i ever felt a little nervous in.
Alice Springs, where I stayed three months I found far worse on every level for crime and violence. Not a place I would return to but many appeared to like it that were living there at the time.

I would return to visit Darwin though. Perhaps more out of curiosity to view changes than the original consideration of living full time there.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:39 PM

570 posts, read 508,691 times
Quote:
Darwin has modernised over recent decades. Lots of new building developments and waterside construction.
Still it is obviously wanting. The expense is a definite feature in dissuasion along with the high crime and lack of good medical facilities. It has a very young population. It has a very transient population.
I recall for decades talk of making Darwin the Northern Gateway to Australia. Countries like Indonesia would play a large part in opening up that part due to closeness in areas like trade, investment and education/tourism. It never seems to pan out to much over the years. I would imagine the longer term future will rest somehow with Asia and probably many more Asian immigrants needed to really get things firing on all cylinders will be required to create a sustainable future as well as a locality in the region.

You can most certainly swim in Langkawi. There are some lovely beaches. The island was boosted by declaring it a Duty Free Zone, back in the eighties. I happened to be living there at the time. That kicked off local tourism and international followed later. But it is easy to get to. Ferries run from the mainland Penang for example as well as Thailand.
Rather different from Darwin, which is both expensive to reach and options limited to air or road.
It may not be necessary what Asian tourists are seeking, many coming from tropical countries themselves.
Many want shopping to flashy Western style examples of living although many of their cities would compete on at least an equal footing on those grounds as well.
Yeah, you are right, you can swim there. I was there in March on my way to Kolipe in Thailand, very gorgeous place, but I didn’t spend any day in Langkawi. However I took a taxi from the marina to the airport and everything was beautiful and well maintained. The taxi driver was super nice too, and I loved the airport.

Australia doesn't make enough use of Darwin's proximity to Asia. The opportunities Darwin is missing out on is staggering. I just checked the data crimen in Darwin and is on average much higher than Sydney. More investment from the federal government is what it needs.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Yeah, you are right, you can swim there. I was there in March on my way to Kolipe in Thailand, very gorgeous place, but I didn’t spend any day in Langkawi. However I took a taxi from the marina to the airport and everything was beautiful and well maintained. The taxi driver was super nice too, and I loved the airport.

Australia doesn't make enough use of Darwin's proximity to Asia. The opportunities Darwin is missing out on is staggering. I just checked the data crimen in Darwin and is on average much higher than Sydney. More investment from the federal government is what it needs.
Malaysia overall is a very attractive country. Great food and friendly people. A country of good value and quite high standards. My favorite in South east Asia outside of some political wrangling's.

I'm not quite sure just how Darwin's fortune can change to any large degree. I feel investment would need to come from Asia, probably by declaring a tax free zone and massively upping Asian immigration that would ignite the place. It has potential but needs go getters with lucre and willingness . So much of Asia for those sort of people to pick, at far cheaper involvement cost. Cambodia and Laos come to mind.
Darwin's expensive lifestyle is a hinderance to investment. It is likely boring to many Asian people of means. People in the South, find it the same. Small population does not sit well for healthy returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand