Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,266,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Then do you have trouble understanding the Harry Potter movies?
I've never seen one. Never had any desire as I detest "fantasy" type movies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 03:01 AM

34 posts, read 45,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
I think Canadians and Australians are more similar than Canadians and Americans. Look past the accent and the geography, and there's not much that's similar between America and Canada.
Depends on what segment of the population you're referring to. Asians from Australia and Canada, for example, would be more similar to Asians in the US than to the white people in their own countries. Regional differences also matter; Sydney would be more similar to Southern California than to Montreal or Nova Scotia, and Seattle more similar to Vancouver than to Darwin.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:08 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,613,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvineHusband View Post
Depends on what segment of the population you're referring to. Asians from Australia and Canada, for example, would be more similar to Asians in the US than to the white people in their own countries. Regional differences also matter; Sydney would be more similar to Southern California than to Montreal or Nova Scotia, and Seattle more similar to Vancouver than to Darwin.
Go away, racist.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:31 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,251,782 times
I'm here now....I'm from the U.S.

I've been to, 70 countries.

Australia along with Canada, is about as similar to the U.S. as you can get. You have tons of land here in Australia, with that 'Wild West' feel (using a U.S. term). Or 'Outback' feel. Tons of space, more space, and more space. There is something that gets into the pysche with that. Additionally, both countries have natives/aboriginals....and all that that entails, etc.

The UK feels like typical Europe with all of its urban beauty and limited space. Australia/U.S. just have that infinite space feel, lots of room to spread around, and all kinds of 'way out there' types of places.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:24 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,613,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm here now....I'm from the U.S.

I've been to, 70 countries.

Australia along with Canada, is about as similar to the U.S. as you can get. You have tons of land here in Australia, with that 'Wild West' feel (using a U.S. term). Or 'Outback' feel. Tons of space, more space, and more space. There is something that gets into the pysche with that. Additionally, both countries have natives/aboriginals....and all that that entails, etc.

The UK feels like typical Europe with all of its urban beauty and limited space. Australia/U.S. just have that infinite space feel, lots of room to spread around, and all kinds of 'way out there' types of places.
I understand you might think that what hits you as the first impression (space) would have some influence on our national psyche, but no. We are only very superficially like you. Sorry.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,251,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
I understand you might think that what hits you as the first impression (space) would have some influence on our national psyche, but no. We are only very superficially like you. Sorry.
The question compares US and UK. I think I answered it fairly.

I don't see the UK similarities. I also haven't read the thread. But I'd be interested if you gave a short summary of why you think Australia is more like the UK.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:49 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,062,332 times
Australia is nothing like the UK (I guess because I've never been there) but the Austalians themselves are an awful lot like the British (the ones I know and have known anyway) and I've known a few, the only other people I've met as much like the British have been the Irish, I would like to add that I've found both the Australian and Irish people I've known to be wonderful people too.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:53 PM

Oh, I've known a couple of guys from New Zealand too and they seemed quite 'Austalian / Irish / British' in their 'way' too, very laid back / relaxed guys, though they are the only 2 guys I've ever got to know from New Zealand.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:27 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,351,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Australia is nothing like the UK (I guess because I've never been there) but the Austalians themselves are an awful lot like the British (the ones I know and have known anyway) and I've known a few, the only other people I've met as much like the British have been the Irish, I would like to add that I've found both the Australian and Irish people I've known to be wonderful people too.
The Irish are a homogeneous group, but Australians are not. More than half the population of Australia is either a migrant or the child of a migrant. And collectively Australians trace their origins to countries all across the globe.

Go to Cabramatta, Brunswick, Darwin or Tennant Creek for example and you'll see.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
The Irish are a homogeneous group, but Australians are not. More than half the population of Australia is either a migrant or the child of a migrant. And collectively Australians trace their origins to countries all across the globe.

Go to Cabramatta, Brunswick, Darwin or Tennant Creek for example and you'll see.
Like I said I've never been to Australia so I don't know, but I imagine the country is very unlike the UK, I have however met many Australians (for various reasons) and find them to be far more like the British than say the Americans I know. Incidently the Americans I've had the pleasure to meet have all been very very nice people too, they are though sort of 'different' in their 'way' compared to the 'other' Anglo's that I have met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand