Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 32,774 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I have a job offer in Adelaide that pays about 8500$AU gross pa. I was wondering if the salary is enough for a family of 4 to have a decent life there.

Any idea about how much a family spends for house/food/bills/running car etc?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 11:14 PM

656 posts, read 2,743,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgk View Post
Hi everyone

I have a job offer in Adelaide that pays about 8500$AU gross pa. I was wondering if the salary is enough for a family of 4 to have a decent life there.

Any idea about how much a family spends for house/food/bills/running car etc?

Thank you in advance

Are you sure your not missing a zero ???

I think Adelaide is probably the cheapest Oz city to live in. Real estate prices and Rent are cheaper there. So I guess if your careful you should be able to make it work

Old 10-24-2010, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 32,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
Yes, unfurtunately I missed only one zero

Thank you for your response.

Btw as I was searching I found this regarding the cost of living

[url=http://www.australianaustralia.com/page/Cost_of_Living/462]Cost of Living - Living Costs in Australia[/url]

Any idea how close to Adelaida's reality these figures are?

thanks in advance

Old 10-25-2010, 12:29 AM

656 posts, read 2,743,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgk View Post
Yes, unfurtunately I missed only one zero

Thank you for your response.

Btw as I was searching I found this regarding the cost of living

Cost of Living - Living Costs in Australia

Any idea how close to Adelaida's reality these figures are?

thanks in advance

I think if you where single 85k is fine, family of 4 will be harder
Looking at that site will give you an idea for what your in for regarding costs. But you might be better posting this question on a site like Britishexpats forum in the Australia section. Plus look at all the other posts similar to yours, I'm sure there are lots of families in Adelaide that could give you an insight to the costs you should expect there

If the kids are at school and your partner (?) can find a part time job, this would make it a lot easier. There is a bit of work around at the moment

Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,960,951 times
Indeed try British expats and Poms in Oz forums. These questions are raised all the time. Good Luck.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:47 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,673 times
$85k's pretty good. If you can claim Family Tax Benefits (as a Permanent Resident), it helps. Basically look at it as an income tax reimbursement.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:26 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post

I think Adelaide is probably the cheapest Oz city to live in. Real estate prices and Rent are cheaper there. So I guess if your careful you should be able to make it work
To get an idea of rents:
www.realestate.com.au

Though I was reading somewhere on The Australian newspaper that rents in Adelaide are equal to Melbourne.... I was living in North Adelaide and it is one of the priciest suburbs but you can do better elsewhere. I was paying 350 a week for a 1 bedroom apartment (1 person).

For cost of living:
Cost of living :: Make The Move (http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/why_move/cost_of_living.jsp - broken link)
Housing :: Make The Move (http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/why_move/housing.jsp - broken link)

A lot of the info you are looking for can be found doing a google.

Adelaide is the second cheapest capital city to live in (Hobart is cheaper). Will your spouse be working to help out?

Last edited by minibrings; 10-26-2010 at 05:35 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 08:55 PM

27 posts, read 71,215 times
I've visited Adelaide many times and the figures in Cost of Living - Living Costs in Australia are pretty accurate. I do know that water in Adelaide is more expensive than anywhere else in Australia.

The $500,000 house they talk about would be a freestanding house in a middle class area 10 minutes drive from the city in all directions except the Eastern Suburbs (the more expensive side of Adelaide). It is also considerably cheaper to rent than buy in most areas.

A good way to get a gauge of renting/buying a house is to go to maps.google.com.au and change the Search Options dropdown to 'Real Estate'. You can then enter some price limits, property type, bedrooms and watch the dots on the screen disappear to see which areas you would realistically be living in.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,688 times
I've visited Adeialde many times. A very nice, clean and quiet city with the winter rains being quite welcome. Buying property as well as renting is, compared to Sydney, by far and between cheaper!. Only problem I have is that it's too quiet and everything pretty much shuts down after 5pm.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 PM

4 posts, read 21,778 times
We have 4 small kids and live in Adelaide. My husband earns 10k under what you are talking about and we live comfortably in a near new house in a good suburb. We are careful (as in we don't go to a lot of restaurants or splurge on expensive things) but our kids don't miss out, we go to the beach a lot, go to some of the great free parks in adelaide (st kilda adventure park, a free wildlife park- warrawong sanctuary where you can feed kangaroos and see koalas etc.). On $85 000 you will certainly be able to have fun and do the things you want.
Adelaide is not a huge city but it has plenty to do. I am sure you will enjoy it. Which area are you going to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand