Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:34 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
But, no large chain competitors like they have in the US. I think the particular niche for chain sweet subs is filled only by Subway in Australia. In the US Quiznos and Blimpie and others are competing for the same niche. The US probably has fewer independents in total because people prefer chains there.
As a proportion you would be correct. Even in NYC which has the plethora of delis and the like the local sandwich shop is not a common sight.

I would challenge that Blimpie is competing for the same niche (it's disgusting). I would, however, recommend Potbelly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
wait the OP was acting like canada is much much more urban and thats why they have more subways per person but looking at the facts canada is only 1% more urban not to mention who knows what they based the urban of a country on?
Canada is only 1% more urban than the USA using different definitions. Canada's definition is much stricter than the USA. If they were using the same definition than Canada would be more urban.

I didn't say that they are much more urban, I said that they were more urban. Which could explain why a foreign chain would have a slightly higher penetration than the USA.

By penetration I am always talking about percentage.

-----------------
For instance the USA has more Spanish speakers than Spain now. They had a big ceremony in Washington DC.

So a Spanish sandwich chain believes it can use this population as a basis and open 4000 restaurants in the USA in only five years (despite having only 230 locations in Spain). They may start with the Spanish speaking population, particularly in Miami, but quickly build a following across a wider demographic.

Spanish food is very different than Mexican food, but Spanish food is still very popular in Mexico.
-----------------

Given the relatively high interest in the USA for cuisine from other countries, I would have thought that Australian chain would be trying to penetrate the USA then the other way around.

I've never seen Hamburger with beetroot, Barramundi, Vegemite on toast, Tim Tam, let alone more exotic stuff like emu, grilled kangaroo, or crocodile.

Australian restaurants in the USA are extremely rare, and usually expensive.

-----------------
From what I can see Subways in Australia have no concessions to local tastes like McDonald's. They are the same menu as in the USA.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:48 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Canada is only 1% more urban than the USA using different definitions. Canada's definition is much stricter than the USA. If they were using the same definition than Canada would be more urban.

I didn't say that they are much more urban, I said that they were more urban. Which could explain why a foreign chain would have a slightly higher penetration than the USA.

By penetration I am always talking about percentage.

-----------------
For instance the USA has more Spanish speakers than Spain now. They had a big ceremony in Washington DC.

So a Spanish sandwich chain believes it can use this population as a basis and open 4000 restaurants in the USA in only five years (despite having only 230 locations in Spain). They may start with the Spanish speaking population, particularly in Miami, but quickly build a following across a wider demographic.

Spanish food is very different than Mexican food, but Spanish food is still very popular in Mexico.
-----------------

Given the relatively high interest in the USA for cuisine from other countries, I would have thought that Australian chain would be trying to penetrate the USA then the other way around.

I've never seen Hamburger with beetroot, Barramundi, Vegemite on toast, Tim Tam, let alone more exotic stuff like emu, grilled kangaroo, or crocodile.

Australian restaurants in the USA are extremely rare, and usually expensive.

-----------------
From what I can see Subways in Australia have no concessions to local tastes like McDonald's. They are the same menu as in the USA.
I am sure several Australian Chains have tried and failed, we don't really do chains realy well hear, most big Aussie Chains seem to involve Pizza, Coffee or Bakeries.

Subway however is really the only US chain to have succeeded in Australia to a large degree in recent times, KFC and McDonald's came in the 1960's when the whole Franchising concept possibly did not exist in Australia. Taco Bell, Dreamy Doughnuts and Dunkin Doughnuts have all tried and failed, Starbucks had to close a lot of it's outlets, and is now left with about 15 stores across the Three Big East Coast Cities, and Pizza Hut also seems to be all but gone.

I Left out Domino's because the Australian arm of it is basically Australian, A large Aussie pizza chain called Silzo's purchased the rights to use the Domino's name in Oz, it basically operates on its own accord, much like Target, Kmart and Woolworth's Australia do. The Brisbane Based company is now called Domino's Pizza enterprises, and is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange

It's worth noting that South African Based Franchiseor Nando's opened over 250 stores in Australia before attempting to penetrate the US market.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 04-25-2013 at 07:06 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 08:33 PM

598 posts, read 955,987 times
Woolworths is completely Australian, there's nothing American about it.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I am sure several Australian Chains have tried and failed, we don't really do chains really well here, most big Aussie Chains seem to involve Pizza, Coffee or Bakeries.

Subway however is really the only US chain to have succeeded in Australia to a large degree in recent times, KFC and McDonald's came in the 1960's when the whole Franchising concept possibly did not exist in Australia. Taco Bell, Dreamy Doughnuts and Dunkin Doughnuts have all tried and failed, Starbucks had to close a lot of it's outlets, and is now left with about 15 stores across the Three Big East Coast Cities, and Pizza Hut also seems to be all but gone.

I Left out Domino's because the Australian arm of it is basically Australian, A large Aussie pizza chain called Silzo's purchased the rights to use the Domino's name in Oz, it basically operates on its own accord, much like Target, Kmart and Woolworth's Australia do. The Brisbane Based company is now called Domino's Pizza enterprises, and is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange

It's worth noting that South African Based Franchiser Nando's opened over 250 stores in Australia before attempting to penetrate the US market.
The Chain was called Silvio's, typo error.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 04-25-2013 at 09:00 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Subway however is really the only US chain to have succeeded in Australia to a large degree in recent times
They had 400 Subways in America by 1984 when they first opened internationally in Bahrain. It should be noted that opening in Bahrain means you are primarily feeding US Navy personnel on a base. They opened in Canada in 1986, Australia in 1988 (2000 total locations), Mexico in 1990, and the UK in 1996 (by which time they had over 11000 locations).

So in 1988 penetration into the USA was roughly 1 Subway for 125,000 people when they began in Australia. Americans were just getting used to the idea of going to a national chain to buy a cold sandwich. Previously they simply made them at home, or bought them at a delicatessen.

It would be more accurate to say that over the last 25 years, Australians and Canadians adapted to the idea of a national sub sandwich chain at about the same rate as Americans.

I should note that Subway had no devoted following like Popeye's Fried Chicken or White Castle Hamburgers. Nobody eats at Subway because they can't find the food anywhere else. There is nothing unique about the cuisine, it is just for convenience.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:48 PM

274 posts, read 470,501 times
I love that smokehouse bbq. chicken with extra sauce, red onions and tomato.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 PM

90 posts, read 97,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
i laughed so hard i spit out my cup of coffee onto my screen!...by the way do you really suppose a country larger then america with only 34 million people would be more urban than a country thats smaller with 300 million people? Also we have 19,000 subway restaurants and you guys have ummm lol 2,000.
Laugh all you want, but Canada IS more urbanized than the USA. You've just exposed your ignorance through this post.

And what does the total population have to do with per capita numbers? These are PER CAPITA numbers. On a PER CAPITA basis, Canada is more urbanized than the USA. A larger percentage of Canada's population lives in urban areas. Hence, Canada is more urban than the United States. Total population or total geographic area have nothing to do with the conversation.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
ummm okay lol SUBWAY has more locations per capita in canada...geez, anyway america has about 100 more urban areas than canada and we have 4 times the populations and 9 times the subways lol

Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vincent View Post
Laugh all you want, but Canada IS more urbanized than the USA. You've just exposed your ignorance through this post.
========
I didn't expect this point to be controversial.

The US Census bureau says an urban cluster has to have a core area called a "block" that has 1000 ppl/square mile to qualify. Now a "block" in a city is probably a real block defined by four streets. But on average a block is about 276 acres. I imagine blocks in Alaska are huge. That density corresponds to 431 people in 276 acres. If you figure 2.5 people per house that is one house per 1.5 acres. Furthermore if there is surrounding blocks so that the entire area has half that density (500 ppl/square mile) they are called "urban" as well.

No in my opinion that is a pretty loose definition of "urban" as it could be a very tiny little town that couldn't possibly support more than one fast food restaurant unless it was near an exit on a highway. Remember we are talking about 12,000 to 16,0000 people per Subway on average.

Canada requires at least 1000 people overall, and a higher density. A slightly more restrictive requirement.

So even if Canada and USA list the same percentage, Canada is more urban than the USA because of tighter restrictions.

Furthermore since Canada has such a huge percentage of it's population in two urban areas, there has to be fewer people on the urban fringe.
============

Looking at my area, no zip code with population under 10,000 has a Subway unless it is near a major highway interchange. While it only costs about $80K to open a Subway (which is far less than most franchises), you still need a minimum number of people to keep it going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand