Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 09:28 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that the whole Subway boom has me a little befuddled. While it isn't that simple to make something equivalent to a McDonald's hamburger in two minutes, anybody can make a sandwich. There used to be tens of thousands of lunch places and counters in convenience stores that made sandwiches.

I was looking at the penetration numbers for Subway restaurants.

USA is 1 store per 12.2 thousand people
Canada is 1 store per 11.8 thousand people
Australia is 1 store per 16.5 thousand people
New Zealand is 1 store per 17.5 thousand people
United Kingdom is 1 store per 41.5 thousand people
Mexico is 1 store per 165 thousand people

Penetration into Canada is at a slightly higher rate than even the USA. That is not totally surprising because Canada is more urban than the USA. Mexico outside of the northern cities and Mexico City has no real need for American fast food as sometimes it seems that making food employs 1/4 of the work force.

Why do you suppose Australia and New Zealand have over double the rate of Subway restaurants as the UK? Is it cultural? Do people feel that they would rather go to a homegrown chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I have to admit that the whole Subway boom has me a little befuddled. While it isn't that simple to make something equivalent to a McDonald's hamburger in two minutes, anybody can make a sandwich. There used to be tens of thousands of lunch places and counters in convenience stores that made sandwiches.

I was looking at the penetration numbers for Subway restaurants.

USA is 1 store per 12.2 thousand people
Canada is 1 store per 11.8 thousand people
Australia is 1 store per 16.5 thousand people
New Zealand is 1 store per 17.5 thousand people
United Kingdom is 1 store per 41.5 thousand people
Mexico is 1 store per 165 thousand people

Penetration into Canada is at a slightly higher rate than even the USA. That is not totally surprising because Canada is more urban than the USA. Mexico outside of the northern cities and Mexico City has no real need for American fast food as sometimes it seems that making food employs 1/4 of the work force.

Why do you suppose Australia and New Zealand have over double the rate of Subway restaurants as the UK? Is it cultural? Do people feel that they would rather go to a homegrown chain.
i laughed so hard i spit out my cup of coffee onto my screen!...by the way do you really suppose a country larger then america with only 34 million people would be more urban than a country thats smaller with 300 million people? Also we have 19,000 subway restaurants and you guys have ummm lol 2,000.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
i laughed so hard i spit out my cup of coffee onto my screen!...by the way do you really suppose a country larger then america with only 34 million people would be more urban than a country thats smaller with 300 million people? Also we have 19,000 subway restaurants and you guys have ummm lol 2,000.
Subway Restaurants
25,842 UNITED STATES
2,925 CANADA
1,510 UNITED KINGDOM
1,375 AUSTRALIA
1,104 BRAZIL
703 MEXICO
596 GERMANY
533 RUSSIAN FEDERATION
440 FRANCE
417 JAPAN
385 CHINA
350 INDIA
252 NEW ZEALAND

I realize that Canada has far more empty land than the USA, but it's more urban because a greater percentage of it's population lives in urban areas.

USA has 8.83 times as many Subways as Canada, but it has over 9 times the population. Which means they have slightly more Subways per person in Canada.

The UK has roughly 4 times as many Subways as Japan, even though Japan has twice the population of the UK. But that is not surprising since tastes would be so different between the countries.

But penetration into Australia and New Zealand is almost as high as Canada and the USA. I am assuming that there tastes are much closer to American taste, or they have less concern about American chains.

In Mexico many people will avoid an American chain, sometimes on philosophical grounds, but often because they hate the food or they find it overpriced.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:09 AM

145 posts, read 260,042 times
I prefer to avoid the chains, but I make an exception for Subway. I like it for the fact that it makes sense.

You walk in and line up. No milling about. You are met by a barely tolerant, surly McFaceless 'sandwich artist' (note to the US based contributors on the other thread re poor service in Australia? You gave us Subways mechanical structure ) who does what is asked of them. You get exactly what you want.

I only ever order one thing. Never deviated from it. Veggie Delite on wheat, all salads, Swiss cheese, extra jalapeño, extra olives, mayo, and S&P. No cookies, no drinks.
You pay over the money, but.. meh. It tastes good, and I like that occasional reminder of what society is rapidly becoming. lulz.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:23 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
There are still plenty of local eateries in my town (about 8000 people)and they all all seem to do okay. 5 bakeries, about a dozen cafes, 4 fish n chip shops. A couple of Burger Bars, about 20 restaurants, as well as Maccas and KFC and a few dairies/service stations selling pies/ fried chicken etc.

Subway is good value and filling. Hot meat sandwiches/dagwoods/ filled rolls etc, have long been popular lunch fare, so I think Subway fitted in well with that. The kid's school has one Subway day a week and I guess other schools do as well.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Subway Restaurants
25,842 UNITED STATES
2,925 CANADA
1,510 UNITED KINGDOM
1,375 AUSTRALIA
1,104 BRAZIL
703 MEXICO
596 GERMANY
533 RUSSIAN FEDERATION
440 FRANCE
417 JAPAN
385 CHINA
350 INDIA
252 NEW ZEALAND

I realize that Canada has far more empty land than the USA, but it's more urban because a greater percentage of it's population lives in urban areas.

USA has 8.83 times as many Subways as Canada, but it has over 9 times the population. Which means they have slightly more Subways per person in Canada.

The UK has roughly 4 times as many Subways as Japan, even though Japan has twice the population of the UK. But that is not surprising since tastes would be so different between the countries.

But penetration into Australia and New Zealand is almost as high as Canada and the USA. I am assuming that there tastes are much closer to American taste, or they have less concern about American chains.

In Mexico many people will avoid an American chain, sometimes on philosophical grounds, but often because they hate the food or they find it overpriced.
That means absolutely nothing america has about the size of Canada's population living in urban areas maybe even more. Subway is from america, we grew at a faster rate then canada. You say its 9 times over the population but when you add it up its is almost the exact same especially since america has way more sandwich shops and competition than canada.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:23 AM

4,220 posts, read 4,888,380 times
Subway is bland rubbish. There's thousands of better sandwich options in Sydney for lunch. I'd rather McD's than Subway. And I really love all those punters who think they're being healthy by eating at Subway.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Subway is bland rubbish. There's thousands of better sandwich options in Sydney for lunch. I'd rather McD's than Subway. And I really love all those punters who think they're being healthy by eating at Subway.
LOL i know right, subway is very unhealthy, those meats are all processed and the bread is like a thousand calories.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
That means absolutely nothing america has about the size of Canada's population living in urban areas maybe even more. Subway is from america, we grew at a faster rate then canada. You say its 9 times over the population but when you add it up its is almost the exact same especially since america has way more sandwich shops and competition than canada.
I am having trouble with your logic. Let's look at your statements

(1) america has about the size of Canada's population living in urban areas maybe even more
Agreed. USA has a huge population compared to Canada. California alone has a bigger population than Canada.

(2)Subway is from america,
Agreed

(3)we grew at a faster rate then canada.
Agreed. Since Canada became a country in it has grown at average rate of 1.65%/ year while the USA has grown at 1.83%

(4) You say its 9 times over the population but when you add it up its is almost the exact same especially since america has way more sandwich shops and competition than canada.
Confusing statement.

Let me clarify the statement a little. Canada and the USA both say their urban population is roughly at 81%, but USA uses a more inclusive definition than Canada. So Canada's population is more urban than the USA.

Furthermore 31.5% of Canada's urban population lives in just two urban areas, Toronto and Montreal. In the case of the USA the urban population is more spread out and includes more people in tiny urban areas.

An urban population requires more places to eat per capita. Urban people are far more likely to eat meals outside the home than rural or small town people.

Under normal conditions penetration of a restaurant chain (as a percentage) is highest in it's home country. Subway has a slightly higher penetration into Canada than the USA. My reasoning is that they have a slightly higher urban population and have more need of quick-service restaurants than the USA.

Canada 2011 census
27,147,274 urban population
6,329,414 rural population

I am just a little surprised that penetration into Australia and New Zealand is so high. I expected more people to be interested in local chains.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:45 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Subway is generally healthy. The bread wouldn't be much different from most bread rolls and a bit of processed meat doesn't mean you're going to drop dead. There's loads of salad, and everything is optional anyway.

I think some people have gotten cynical, to the point that they see things in very simple terms - either healthy or unhealthy. It doesn't work that way for a lot of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand