Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:59 PM

69 posts, read 117,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
It always amazes me that people are so ready to uproot themselves and move to the other side of the world without doing even the most basic research.
calm down bitter Mary. He isn't packing his bags as he types.

It all starts with an interest and ambition. And that's what he's doing. Stop being a hater!!

OP, good luck and I hope your move to Oz is smooth and amazing. I personally have interest in moving to NZ, and I'm 27 also! Perfect age to go about our dreams and ambitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 06:14 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well an increasing amount of Americans I have noticed here in Australia compared to a decade ago. The ones under 30 can get working visas. I remember there were far more Canadians here for work and studies, yet these days Americans really outnumber them.
The work and holiday visa category was introduced in March 2003. I can't tell if Americans were immediately included or not. This is different from the normal Working holiday visa which have filled our ski slopes with Canadians for decades.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/statist...isa-grants.pdf

Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 03-08-2014 at 07:01 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 03:00 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
The work and holiday visa category was introduced in March 2003. I can't tell if Americans were immediately included or not. This is different from the normal Working holiday visa which have filled our ski slopes with Canadians for decades.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/statist...isa-grants.pdf
Americans under 30 are only eligible to work one year. I got that with the Americans I met that are on working holidays here in Australia. I also looked it up and Americans are under a different holiday visa compared to Canadians. Canadians, British and Irish, German and Dutch people can work 2 years if they do 3 months work in a rural area or farm related work.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:55 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Global CitiZen X View Post
calm down bitter Mary. He isn't packing his bags as he types.

It all starts with an interest and ambition. And that's what he's doing. Stop being a hater!!
The guy was given a list of links to the Immigration website, but instead of reading them just kept asking the most basic of questions. I'll bet you a million dollars he never made it out here.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
The guy was given a list of links to the Immigration website, but instead of reading them just kept asking the most basic of questions. I'll bet you a million dollars he never made it out here.
Normally they post the same thing in several different forums at once. This guy was desperate to move to both Australia and Florida simultaneously. Guess which he chose?

Quote:
10-06-2013, 08:56 PM
KylePac
befriend

25 posts, read 14,707 times

What do Locals think of these areas??
So I am planning on moving to Florida from Missouri and don't want to drive all the way down there and then not have something set up. I am planning on buying a house in these areas and want to know what you locals think of these specific areas. The address number is different but the street and zip codes are the same for the houses I'm interested in. What do you think of the general location I mean. Thank you so much!!

1150 Engman St, Clearwater, FL 33755

1153 Hamlet Ave, Clearwater, FL 33756

1154 Drew St, Clearwater, FL 33755

1155 Vine Ave, Clearwater, FL 33755

1151 Russell St, Clearwater, FL 33755

1152 Pennsylvania Ave, Clearwater, FL 33755

1156 12th Ave S, Saint Petersburg, FL 33712

1160 Queensboro Ave S, Saint Petersburg, FL 33711

1161 Prescott St S, Saint Petersburg, FL 33712

1157 Moffett Ct N, Saint Petersburg, FL 33701

1158 15th Ave S, Saint Petersburg, FL 33701

1159 35th St S, Saint Petersburg, FL 33711

Old 03-09-2014, 09:27 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Quote:
Normally they post the same thing in several different forums at once. This guy was desperate to move to both Australia and Florida simultaneously. Guess which he chose?
Well bugger me. You mean we spent good time arguing on here, you and mini nearly come to blows, and the bastard has pissed off to Florida!

Old 03-09-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Well bugger me. You mean we spent good time arguing on here, you and mini nearly come to blows, and the bastard has pissed off to Florida!
It's always worth it if I can drive mini to a white hot rage.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Good on him if he found his nirvana in the US.
Even though i am dual national, i don't regret leaving oz to move back to the US. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I dont regret the time i lived in SA (though) and every year i have mates come visit and they all shop like crazy and all entertain thoughts of leaving Oz. There is so much to see in a country with a large population, and Europe is a much closer flight.

Jacqs has left "convictland", her quote, and found her bliss in new Orleans. Have not heard from moon in a while.. Need to find out if she made it to Massachusetts.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Good on him if he found his nirvana in the US.
Even though i am dual national, i don't regret leaving oz to move back to the US. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I dont regret the time i lived in SA (though) and every year i have mates come visit and they all shop like crazy and all entertain thoughts of leaving Oz. There is so much to see in a country with a large population, and Europe is a much closer flight.

Jacqs has left "convictland", her quote, and found her bliss in new Orleans. Have not heard from moon in a while.. Need to find out if she made it to Massachusetts.
Dual national? You spent two years in Adelaide on a student visa, fell in love and have wanted to go back ever since. I am sorry for your pain, I wish you luck in trying to return, because I agree it is wonderful. But just because you hate where you live, and can't live in Australia, don't take out your unhappiness on the rest of us.

We get it, you're sad. Instead of trying to demonise the place you love because you can't have it, try and find beauty in where you are. Head up to Vermont this weekend for some maple syrup fun, speand a weekend in NY, eat some lobster, go skiing, head to Quebec for some French fun.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:35 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Moving overseas is the result of high levels of education, an awareness of the world outside your borders and the financial security to move. Americans are undereducated, insular and generally poor. They don't have the means or the will to move overseas.

The vast majority of Australians move overseas for work. We don't have London or the NIH or Silicon Valley in Australia, we're too small.

Nonsense. Your statement is a reflection of the very rubbish you state.

Australia has nowhere near the opportunity, economic wealth or diversity of the US. Several states have a larger GDP than Australia. Many Americans travel or work overseas, but the desire to leave is usually for economic opportunity - few places rival the US for that

I've been to Australia twice (once for an extended period of time). I liked it but you couldn't pay me to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand