Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times

Advertisements

Broadly speaking I'd be supportive of allowing New Zealand citizens resident in Australia the right to vote, as well as those from other countries who are permanent residents of Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 01:23 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Broadly speaking I'd be supportive of allowing New Zealand citizens resident in Australia the right to vote, as well as those from other countries who are permanent residents of Australia.
Why should foreign nationals who have made no real commitment to Australia, as evidenced by taking out citizenship, and hence have none of the obligations of an Australian citizen, be given the benefits of citizenship?

Seems like they're cherry picking what does and doesn't apply to them. If its the right to vote, then that's expected; if its the obligation to serve on a jury (or ironically, the obligation under law to vote), for example, then they're happy for that not to apply to them.

Last edited by Richard1098; 02-28-2014 at 01:57 PM..

Old 03-01-2014, 06:10 AM

440 posts, read 867,441 times
I think no! Just because you live in a country and pay taxes doesn't give you a voting right….no one forced you to live there that was your choice….as is your choice to apply for citizenship if thats the route you want to take. I've lived with a "green card" in the USA for a long time and I chose not to be a citizen so therefore I can't vote..my hubby on the other hand became a citizen so he could vote…

Old 03-02-2014, 05:26 AM

48 posts, read 60,795 times
No. They're not citizens.

Treated like second class people you say?

don't like it ? then leave!

Old 03-02-2014, 01:59 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_p View Post
No. They're not citizens.

Treated like second class people you say?

don't like it ? then leave!

Australia cannot continue down a path of having permanent residents with no pathway to democratic representation. The Aborigines feel the same way about you, you should just leave its there country

Australia has had a long history of struggling with Human rights issues, your attitude is not surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sossie View Post
I think .as is your choice to apply for citizenship if that's the route you want to take.…
You need to read post #3 Many Aussies even in forums "still" believe Kiwis can just apply for Citizenship after a few years as was the case before 2001 and the same reciprocal agreement as with Aussies in NZ.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:01 PM

You need to read post #3 Many Aussies even in forums "still" believe Kiwis can just apply for Citizenship after a few years as was the case before 2001 and the same reciprocal agreement as with Aussies in NZ.[/quote]

So presumably if you are on a SCV visa which was never meant to be a path to citizenship(after 2001) you would need to apply for permanent residency ( a different type of visa) and then citizenship …it is not unlike a lot of countries options when it comes to citizenship except as a NZ arriving in Australia you get an SCV automatically and can stay as long as you like?? Correct?? .

SO when I came to the states we had a 6yr work visa we then went throughout the process of permanent residency (green card) ( that took a total of 4 years) and yes it had to be one occupation in their skilled lists then I think after 5 years after receiving our green card we were able to go through the citizenship process …..not a fast process by any means and not inexpensive. But had we not done that we would have had to leave or be deported ;0 Still the original question remains the same-no citizenship- no vote. That's the deal you make when you live and work abroad on work visas.

Last edited by sossie; 03-02-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 03:15 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
Quote:
You need to read post #3 Many Aussies even in forums "still" believe Kiwis can just apply for Citizenship after a few years as was the case before 2001 and the same reciprocal agreement as with Aussies in NZ.

So presumably if you are on a SCV visa which was never meant to be a path to citizenship(after 2001) you would need to apply for permanent residency ( a different type of visa) and then citizenship …it is not unlike a lot of countries options when it comes to citizenship except as a NZ arriving in Australia you get an SCV automatically and can stay as long as you like?? Correct?? .

SO when I came to the states we had a 6yr work visa we then went throughout the process of permanent residency (green card) ( that took a total of 4 years) then I think after 5 years after receiving our green card we were able to go through the citizenship process …..not a fast process by any means. Still the original question remains the same-no citizenship- no vote. That's the deal you make when you live and work abroad on work visas.
Thats right. It's not complicated.
And the previous poster was right, if they don't like it -- there is a first world country waiting in which they can return to.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:28 PM

130 posts, read 133,726 times
Quote:
I think no! Just because you live in a country and pay taxes doesn't give you a voting right….no one forced you to live there that was your choice….as is your choice to apply for citizenship if thats the route you want to take. I've lived with a "green card" in the USA for a long time and I chose not to be a citizen so therefore I can't vote..my hubby on the other hand became a citizen so he could vote…
Strange that dear girl, an American who believes in taxation without representation. Have you studied ANY American history ?

Old 03-02-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Australia cannot continue down a path of having permanent residents with no pathway to democratic representation. The Aborigines feel the same way about you, you should just leave its there country

Australia has had a long history of struggling with Human rights issues, your attitude is not surprising.

I'm not unsympathetic to your cause….taxation without representation is a tough pill to swallow at times. I know I have been a permanent resident in 4 countries . My hubby constantly complains when I tell him who he should vote for reminds me to get citizenship …but you know I hold my aussie citizenship dear to my heart and not to sure I am willing to share that with another country….

Old 03-02-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaraka66 View Post
Strange that dear girl, an American who believes in taxation without representation. Have you studied ANY American history ?

I didn't say I believe in it -I said it is just a fact of life when you live and work abroad! And really "dear girl" don't be so condescending and FYI i'm not American! But don't let facts get in your way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand