Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 03:38 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,235,055 times

Advertisements

I wondered what happened to her, it's really lovely to see things worked out well. I feel for the family she left behind and hope they get a happy ending too.

Aroha of McGehan Close flees NZ | Stuff.co.nz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 05:46 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,798,458 times
I remember her. I think it was when I got my first inkling into how cheesy JK is.

Good for her. A bit heavy on the negativity though.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I remember her. I think it was when I got my first inkling into how cheesy JK is.

Good for her.
Yes it's lovely isn't it. I googled her name and it looks like they've run a piece on her progress every year. Her story is turning out to be like that BBC series Child of Our Time.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
Yes it's lovely isn't it. I googled her name and it looks like they've run a piece on her progress every year. Her story is turning out to be like that BBC series Child of Our Time.
I didn't follow her in any way, other than the initial news story years ago. Just way too gimmicky.

I wouldn't say it's lovely, but if she's happier now, that's good.

I don't go for the whole negativity trip though-the "it's all f*****d", blame everyone else routine, but I suspect her upbringing played a part in that.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I didn't follow her in any way, other than the initial news story years ago. Just way too gimmicky.

I wouldn't say it's lovely, but if she's happier now, that's good.
Good, lovely. Semantics

It's good to see she's married, buying her first home, earning good money and having a full life. Thanks to the Special Category Visa and her own get up and go. I hope eventually she'll be able to get full residency and the security it brings. In the meantime, the girl done well and I'm happy for her .

Old 09-07-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Good, lovely. Semantics

It's good to see she's married, buying her first home, earning good money and having a full life. Thanks to the Special Category Visa and her own get up and go. I hope eventually she'll be able to get full residency and the security it brings. In the meantime, the girl done well and I'm happy for her .
Sure, it's good that she's happy. And if she enjoys Australia better, then that's her business.

Her message of negativity and cynicism is sad though. If she had real get up and go, she'd make a decent life in either country.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Sure, it's good that she's happy. And if she enjoys Australia better, then that's her business.
She's not alone in that enjoyment. How many New Zealanders live here now, half a million? Her success story is one that's shared by many others. If you think about it Key taking her to Waitangi was the thing that spurred her to do something with her life, or perhaps it was the bullying she got at school for doing it? who knows, the important thing is she's happy, achieving something and contributing rather than taking from society. Good on her, I hope it inspires her peers to do the same rather than giving up.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:14 PM

From the link I gave earlier

Quote:
She recently returned home to visit her mother. She couldn't believe how expensive the price of living in New Zealand was compared to Australia.
"Petrol has shot up - $2 for petrol, really? I also brought about seven or eight items from one of the supermarkets and it came to a total of $78. No wonder people can't fill their fridges. I'm glad I got out of New Zealand when I did."
Over the past four years she has seen her mother's financial situation worsen. "My mum works full time and she is still struggling really bad," she says. "It is like she is worse off."
"I have everything that I would never ever have in New Zealand. I would probably still be on the benefit if I lived in NZ right now."
She's not wrong, these are the costings I did from another thread for just three basic items: chicken milk and eggs., it's an expensive place to live. I don't understand how people manage on benefits. Countdown is the NZ equivalent of Woolworths.

Boneless chicken breast (skinless) Countdown $20.99 Woolworths $16.95

1Lt of whole fat milk (own brand)
Countdown $2.18 Woolworths $1.09

12 Pack of Large eggs (large grade A) Countdown (Frenz) 90c each (in a 10 pack, no 12 packs) Woolworths (Homebrand) 32c each (in a 12 pack)

Total for the basket of goods (assuming that 12 eggs were bought in each country) Countdown $33.97 Woolworths $21.88 = 68% difference in price.

I was stunned when I saw those prices, especially for eggs which were 3 times as much in New Zealand as they are here. Milk is twice as expensive. That price difference cannot just be explained away by NZ having GST added to food. These are not luxury foods, just everyday staples.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:07 PM

100 posts, read 139,028 times
Quote:
From the link I gave earlier

She's not wrong, these are the costings I did from another thread for just three basic items: chicken milk and eggs., it's an expensive place to live. I don't understand how people manage on benefits. Countdown is the NZ equivalent of Woolworths.

Boneless chicken breast (skinless) Countdown $20.99 Woolworths $16.95

1Lt of whole fat milk (own brand)
Countdown $2.18 Woolworths $1.09

12 Pack of Large eggs (large grade A) Countdown (Frenz) 90c each (in a 10 pack, no 12 packs) Woolworths (Homebrand) 32c each (in a 12 pack)

Total for the basket of goods (assuming that 12 eggs were bought in each country) Countdown $33.97 Woolworths $21.88 = 68% difference in price.

I was stunned when I saw those prices, especially for eggs which were 3 times as much in New Zealand as they are here. Milk is twice as expensive. That price difference cannot just be explained away by NZ having GST added to food. These are not luxury foods, just everyday staples.
Your egg prices are ridiculous. I don't doubt your could spend that much for eggs in New Zealand if you were really trying, but nobody concerned even a little about money would. Here's the egg page from countdown.com: Buy eggs online at countdown.co.nz Note you can get 30 eggs for $8.50...sure they're not free range, but why go to a supermarket if you want free range eggs...most of the farms in my area sell free range eggs for $5 a dozen. NB: Cheap supermarket eggs in NZ are so much better than anything you can buy in most of the world.

Here's the chicken page: Buy eggs online at countdown.co.nz I'm seeing $15/kg for boneless/skinless.

I won't dispute the milk prices; they sound about right to me.

You could argue that milk, eggs, and chicken are too expensive for a country with so many cows and chickens, and that might be a good argument.

PS: I assume you're doing a currency conversion, but you have not specified that in your post.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:23 PM

They're not 'my egg prices' Yes I did do a currency conversion in the original post https://www.city-data.com/forum/35932955-post26.html. They were all converted to the NZ rate on the day. The prices are what I got off the Countdown and Woolworths shopping sites on the 4th of August.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/35932955-post26.html

It would be very interesting to compare the prices for PakN'Save to somewhere like https://www.aldi.com.au/en/groceries/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand