Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:26 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I used to do this as my sister lives in Australia.

I lived for 3 months in Australia in winter 2008,2009 and 2010. I've been to everywhere besides the Northern Territory.

Melbourne is the best for walkable, hip vibe, coffee shops, and neighborhoods with character.

Perth is ok but is boring after about a week.

I liked Hobart quite a bit.

A furnished apartment in Melbourne is going to run you around $2K a month.
Thanks for the excellent info. $2k/mo is in the ballpark. Sounds like Melbourne is more my cup of tea. It looks like you have to go a distance to hit some beaches from there though?

I could do AZ & FL of course but I don't really like either state very much, very boring, looking for something more interesting. And you would be surprised, peak season Dec-April AZ and FL are not that cheap on furnished short term rentals, probably would end up costing you at least $2k/mo for something decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 07:24 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
You'll love Melbourne. There are beaches within a short drive of the city though if you want the full-on beach lifestyle, it's perhaps not the best choice in Australia as Melbourne has cooler weather than, say, the Gold Coast up in Queensland. But places like Mornington Peninsula and the Great Ocean Road are nothing to sneeze at in terms of their natural beauty. And, when you combine that with the cosmopolitan nature of the city, it's a great combination.

Melbourne's best beaches - Around Town - Time Out Melbourne

Great Ocean Road

Beaches, Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia

Old 04-28-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
You'll love Melbourne. There are beaches within a short drive of the city though if you want the full-on beach lifestyle, it's perhaps not the best choice in Australia as Melbourne has cooler weather than, say, the Gold Coast up in Queensland. But places like Mornington Peninsula and the Great Ocean Road are nothing to sneeze at in terms of their natural beauty. And, when you combine that with the cosmopolitan nature of the city, it's a great combination.

Melbourne's best beaches - Around Town - Time Out Melbourne

Great Ocean Road

Beaches, Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia
Thanks so much for the info!

Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Thanks for the excellent info. $2k/mo is in the ballpark. Sounds like Melbourne is more my cup of tea. It looks like you have to go a distance to hit some beaches from there though?

I could do AZ & FL of course but I don't really like either state very much, very boring, looking for something more interesting. And you would be surprised, peak season Dec-April AZ and FL are not that cheap on furnished short term rentals, probably would end up costing you at least $2k/mo for something decent.
The good beaches are quite a ways from Melbourne, and the water is very cold.

There are city beaches like St. Kilda. I would put that about on par with going to a beach in Chicago. Not bad, but true beach lovers would scoff at it.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:11 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Sydney is probably the best choice if you want great beaches AND a big city.

I used to live near Bondi beach circa 95' and it was awesome.... though it has changed a lot, according to the wife who travels back on business a few times a year.

QLD has a lot to offer. The Whitsundays, Gold and Sunshine coasts (where I grew up), great barrier reef, port douglas and all that rainforest. Brisbane is not 1/2 bad, but it's not on the coast and there aren't really any great Brisbane beaches, so I wouldn't recommend it.

If you can get over the high COL, Australia and Australians are truly wonderful.

I should also mention that there's no surf (waves) above the sunshine coast if that matters to you.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:19 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I'm considering places around the world to get away from the winter colder weather in the U.S. (Oct 15-May 15 - so Australia summer). I have not been to Australia yet. Probably looking at 3-6 months time frame staying there. I'm mid 40's age. I'm thinking of a relatively cosmopolitan city fairly close to the beach and outdoor activities, good Internet connection. Looking for a warm balmy climate but not uncomfortably hot. Would Melbourne be the best option for me? How difficult would it be to find a furnished rental property for 3-6 mos? Would it be prohibitively expensive? I'm guessing renting a car for that time period would be very expensive too, are there places I could get by without a car? Some benefits for me of Australia over other warm weather places in Asia and Latin America are that I already speak English and Australia is safe. What do you think of my plan overall? Thanks for your input.
Adelaide can be an option. Yes it can have a heat wave here and there but it wont last for a lengthy time.
You won't need a car if in the CBD. You can take the tram to the beach (Glenelg). If you like wine you are close by to lots of wineries (Barossa, Clare, McLaren Vale), waves on Gulf st Vincent fairly benign. Easy access to Kangaroo Island (google it). Good food and lots of festivals to check out during those months. Best part is COL will be lower than Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, etc.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Adelaide can be an option. Yes it can have a heat wave here and there but it wont last for a lengthy time.
You won't need a car if in the CBD. You can take the tram to the beach (Glenelg). If you like wine you are close by to lots of wineries (Barossa, Clare, McLaren Vale), waves on Gulf st Vincent fairly benign. Easy access to Kangaroo Island (google it). Good food and lots of festivals to check out during those months. Best part is COL will be lower than Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, etc.
Interesting option I will look into this too.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:46 PM

158 posts, read 215,792 times
I'll just talk about Sydney, as that's where I'm from.
For accommodation, loads of people rent out their granny flats around my area. Have a look at this website for an idea of cost. We get a lot of tourists through my area, Sydney Northern Beaches. Flats can rent out from around $450/week that's 1 bedroom, furnished, inclusive of bills (water/electricity/wifi etc).
Free Local Classifieds Ads from all over Australia - Gumtree
Northern beaches of Sydney has a bus transport system that can get you to the city in about 40mins on a good day. That's from Dee Why. From Manly you can catch a ferry to town. Both areas are easy walking to shops and transport & both have gorgeous beaches & walks.
If you want warm & balmy I'd give Tassie a miss. Nice place to visit tho.
Melbourne is another great city but not the same beach lifestyle as here.
You can buy a second hand car for pretty cheap, then sell it before you go. Check Gumtree for this as well.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:51 PM

Thanks sydneybeach for your excellent help and suggestions!

Old 05-31-2015, 03:42 AM

4 posts, read 4,994 times
Sydney and Melbourne are your best bets for walkable cities. Brisbane and the Gold Coast have small areas that are walkable, but they're really quite small and only a few square miles.

As it has been said, Australia is expensive relative to most of America. A core Australian value is a fair go (essentially equality) and because of this our minimum wage is higher and this flows through to higher prices for almost every thing. You'll get sticker shock here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand