Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:42 PM

349 posts, read 489,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Perth has a very different feel to it than other Australian cities too; people's attitudes and even the population mix. I wouldn't mistake it for Hobart, Darwin, Sydney or Brisbane for example. The most similar Australian cities are probably......Sydney and Melbourne.
I wouldn't say it's that different. Perth is pretty similar to Adelaide especially, but in some ways it's a little like Sydney. For me Adelaide is more like Melbourne, Perth is a bit more like Sydney. Adelaide and Melbourne have a more 'old' feel, even though they were founded later than Sydney and Perth. Sydney has a lot of old buildings but it seems glitzier, although of late Melbourne has developed a lot. Like the Victorian type shopfrons line many streets...Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn, Gertrude St, Collingwood, Sydney Road, Brunswick, Chapel St, South Yarra, Fitzroy St, St Kilda sort of typify the 'Melbourne' streetscape. Sydney has quite a few of those too, especially suburbs like Paddington, Surry Hills, Kings Cross, Newtown. Glebe reminds me a bit of Fremantle. Brisbane also feels like a more tropical, greener Perth to me. Aside from being more British no, I wouldn't say Perth feels all that different. Most Australian cities feel pretty similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 12:41 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think it's a mixed bag. Like it's good we're connected but it sucks if the result is that we all end up the same. It kind of ruins the whole point.
Wait what's the point?

Old 05-27-2015, 02:03 AM

598 posts, read 956,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I agree with this sentiment, I would imagine Australian culture will eventually be rather distinct from both the UK and USA. Though our British Colonial History will always have an influence in ways I am sure.

It's will be a slow and gradual process, however that slow and gradual process is happing right now.
I don't think its so much we're building a new culture we're just becoming more comfortable in our own skin, and you can tell just by listening to triple j as the cultural cringe has been dying out more artists have been embracing their Australianness, I don't think Aussie Hip Hop or artists like Courtney Barnett and Missy Higgins would have even been embraced (maybe even laughed at) like they are now thirty years ago because of cultural cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-nr1nNC3ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njb3JTZ1ibY

Old 07-13-2015, 01:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
And suburbia in Australia is nothing like suburbia in America. Even the newer areas like the Hills District are not the monotonous tract housing the litters suburban America. Australian suburbs are more English (if anything) with a high street and local communities.
That's good to hear.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:23 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,346,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's good to hear.

Most developers will incorporate limited community facilities (like a mini country club) and a small number of shop fronts in large developments to entice buyers. Some of the shops might still be open a few years down the track if the closest shopping mall is a lengthy drive. But the overall effect is a long, long way from being an English "community" "high street".

You'l find plenty of cookie cutter homes as well, but most folk tend to buy a house from a builder's catalogue so you're more likely to see rows of houses that while different are variations of the same style.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 07-13-2015 at 02:31 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 08:06 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Perth has a very different feel to it than other Australian cities too; people's attitudes and even the population mix. I wouldn't mistake it for Hobart, Darwin, Sydney or Brisbane for example. The most similar Australian cities are probably......Sydney and Melbourne.
I wouldn't mistake any of the cities for each other, they are all very different.

I've lived in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. I've visited Adelaide but haven't visited Hobart, Darwin and Perth. Even so, I can still get a sense of "something" when I look at pictures or read about Hobart and Darwin but can't quite "grasp" Perth.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:02 PM

379 posts, read 359,432 times
Aside from the weather, Perth feels a lot like a city in western Canada. Glass skyscrapers from the 90s. An "old" part (Fremantle). A lot of new houses. Clean. Working class guys with money. Asians from parts of asia you don't really think about that much (Singapore?). In the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:28 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
Aside from the weather, Perth feels a lot like a city in western Canada. Glass skyscrapers from the 90s. An "old" part (Fremantle). A lot of new houses. Clean. Working class guys with money. Asians from parts of asia you don't really think about that much (Singapore?). In the middle of nowhere.
Well, that description makes Perth sound like every other Australian city.

I do still think that each city has its own personality, especially the older inner city parts of each city. I do agree that suburbia in each city is probably interchangeable. I just can't get a sense of Perth's personality.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:32 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post

I do still think that each city has its own personality, especially the older inner city parts of each city. I do agree that suburbia in each city is probably interchangeable. I just can't get a sense of Perth's personality.
Its the most boring city in Australia, in saying that Western Australia is beautiful.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:03 PM

379 posts, read 359,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post

Well like western Canadian cities, nothing is going on most of the time. When I was there it seemed to completely empty out. It is very boring. I didn't feel that happened in other Australian cities. The nightlife was very bogan oriented, like something out of Geelong. I guess it felt kind of like a mini Sydney in the middle of nowhere. It did not seem to be like Melbourne, or Hobart, or Cairns or Brisbane. That said, I liked Perth, and wouldn't mind living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand