Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 6,237 times

Advertisements

Weather is the main factor visitors try to look at while planning their visit to the island nation. As we know, New Zealand is 1600 km's long and with the width of only 400 km's. It plays a major part in drastic change in weather from one end of the country to another. January to March is the perfect time to visit New Zealand beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 02:23 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,307,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I'm from Ireland currently living in Christchurch New Zealand and i love the climate in Canterbury due to a good amount of sunshine, dry and mostly mild-warm-hot. One of the biggest reasons migrants to a new location is because of climate as it dictates their lifestyle. One thing i wasn't told and quickly realized was how intense the Sun is here, i arrived in mid August 2013 and while temperatures were cold in the morning and night by midday they were rarely below 10 degrees and the Sun on my skin was the most intense i have ever felt. Getting burnt in winter is a strange experience and i quickly realized how different the climate was here compared to back home. A 16 degree sunny day in New Zealand would feel similar to a 20 degree day elsewhere. I am just confused as whenever the climate of New Zealand is discussed it is never mentioned? In fact people merely look at temperatures. I have even talked to Aussies who have came over here and couldn't believe how intense the heat of the sun is here. I feel this is something that is highly underestimated and all people who come here should be aware of it especially as New Zealand has one of the highest number of Skin cancer in the world. Thank God we don't get the 40 degree days that you can regularly get in OZ with this sun as then the climate would virtually be unbearable
When I moved to Australia from NZ in 1972, one thing I remember is how glaringly bright the sunshine was in Australia, it took a little while to get used to. So it is sort of funny to hear someone say how intense the sun is in NZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand