Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 01:38 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
If you can stay calm and sane after a few days of 41-44 degrees C during the wet season (I couldn't), I definitely think you should move to Townsville.
Believe me, if I could move to Townsville or Cairns, I would be there in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I don't qualify under Australian immigration criteria. I love the heat and enjoy the feeling of sweating which I rarely get where I live.
I honestly think Australians sell their country short and think it's better everywhere else which it really isn't which is probably one of the reasons why they travel so much compared to other nationalities. Aussies I think live in the best country in the world IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 03:19 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
It's weight limited.
There is a long article in Wikipedia about the Qantas flight to DFW and the article does not mention any weight limitation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flights_7_and_8

It is possible to fly a B747 nonstop from Sydney to Dallas, but due to strong headwinds, a B747 returning flew from Dallas to Brisbane Airport for refueling before returning to Sydney.
16 May 2011 : B747 four times weekly
1 Jul 2012 : upgraded to daily
Dec 2011: the 12th A380 delivered to Qantas. Qantas defers delivery of final 8 A380s ordered.
23 Nov 2013: route becomes the longest nonstop commercial route in the world
28 Sep 2014: B747 replaced with an A380 allowing nonstop in both directions
1 Mar 2016: route surpassed as the longest nonstop commercial route in the world by flights from Middle East to Auckland.

Even if the passenger load is low, Qantas would not discontinue the flight as it gives businessmen an additional 30 connecting destinations over LAX on American airlines including the all important New York's LaGuardia Airport which is a much easier taxi ride to Manhattan than JFK. LaGuardia is perimeter limited and cannot have flights to California.

Quote:
I'm aware. My guess is Qantas has enough o/d traffic into Singapore to bring back Frankfurt (only stopped because of A380 delays) and Paris (if the French give Qantas more than 3 slots/week). I doubt leisure routes into Europe will ever come back for Qantas.
Qantas could probably fly from Sydney to Helsinki in a year if it purchases the A350-900ULR that Singapore Airlines is buying. Finnair is also a member of One World. I know the inclination is to hold out until a plane is produced that can fly to London, but the Helsinki option is available years earlier.

Finnair already has 11 Airbus A350-900 with another 8 on order. If it upgauges to the Ultra Long Range model, it could introduce flights to Sydney as well. But Finnair is an awfully small airline to be flying one of the longest commercial routes in the world.

Finnair is already flying the A350-900 to at least five Asian destinations, so it would need the ULR variant to fly to Sydney.
http://aviationweek.com/site-files/a...ERVICE_map.jpg
https://images.cdn.centreforaviation...un/05/Fin1.PNG

SYD LHR 10,574 mi
SYD HEL 9,439 mi
SIN EWR 9,535 mi Singapore Airlines being twin jet service in 2018/2019. Previous 4 engine service from 2004-2013 terminated because fuel costs were too high.

Finnair has flights from Helsinki to: Vaasa, Ivalo, Oulu, Joensuu,Kuopio, Kuusamo, Rovaniemi, and Kittilä in Finland as well as:
Amsterdam,Barcelona, Berlin–Tegel, Brussels, Budapest, Copenhagen, Dublin, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Geneva, Gothenburg, Hamburg, Kraków, Lisbon (resumes 1 June 2018), London–Heathrow, Madrid, Málaga, Manchester, Milan–Malpensa, Moscow–Sheremetyevo, Munich, Oslo–Gardermoen, Paris–Charles de Gaulle, Prague, Reykjavík–Keflavík, Rome–Fiumicino, Saint Petersburg, Stockholm–Arlanda, Stuttgart (resumes 23 April 2018), Tel Aviv–Ben Gurion,Vienna, Vilnius, Warsaw–Chopin, Yekaterinburg, Zürich

Seasonal: Alicante, Antalya, Astana, Athens, Bergen, Biarritz, Catania, Chania, Corfu, Dalaman, Dubrovnik, Edinburgh, Eilat–Ovda, Fuerteventura, Funchal, Gazipaşa, Goa, Gran Canaria, Guangzhou, Havana, Heraklion, Ibiza, Innsbruck, Kos, Krabi, Lanzarote, Ljubljana, Malta, Menorca, Mytilene, Naples, Nice, Paphos, Palma de Mallorca, Pisa, Preveza,Rhodes, Rimini, Salzburg, Santorini, Skiathos, Split, Tenerife-North, Tenerife–South, Varna, Venice, Verona, Zakynthos

Last edited by PacoMartin; 12-31-2017 at 04:45 AM..

Old 12-31-2017, 04:11 AM

4,216 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
There is a long article in Wikipedia about the Qantas flight to DFW and the article does not mention any weight limitation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flights_7_and_8
Whatever Wikipedia may say, I can tell you for a fact that it is weight restricted.

Quote:
Qantas could probably fly from Sydney to Helsinki in a year if it purchases the A350-900ULR that Singapore Airlines is buying. Finnair is also a member of One World. I know the inclination is to hold out until a plane is produced that can fly to London, but the Helsinki option is available years earlier.
Less than zero chance of that happening.

Quote:
Finnair already has 11 Airbus A350-900 with another 8 on order. If it upgauges to the Ultra Long Range model, it could introduce flights to Sydney as well.
The only thing less likely than AY flying to Sydney is QF flying to Helsinki. There's a reason every European carrier, bar BA, has abandoned Australia. And BA only keeps flying to Sydney because it's an historic route and it lets them say they fly to every continent.

Last edited by BCC_1; 12-31-2017 at 04:27 AM..

Old 12-31-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Whatever Wikipedia may say, I can tell you for a fact that it is weight restricted.
It just doesn't say anything.

Quote:
There's a reason every European carrier, bar BA, has abandoned Australia. And BA only keeps flying to Sydney because it's an historic route and it lets them say they fly to every continent.
I didn't realize that, but it is a correct statement.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:39 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
My computer isn't displaying enough information to establish a link....

Article I found online, The Sydney Morning Herald; Australians flocking to the US, Nov. 5, 2014 by Jamie Freed.

Article lists the states most visited by Australians: Hawaii, California, Nevada, New York. Ski resorts in Colorado receive some attention.

Hawaii competes against Bali, Fiji, and far North Queensland.

The mainland U.S. competes with Western Europe.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 12-31-2017 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 01:52 PM

Some surveys say half of Americans have never ventured to a foreign country

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARGOT PEPPERS
PUBLISHED: 23 May 2013
More than half of Americans - 54per cent - have never traveled outside the U.S., and 35per cent admit that they do not even own a passport. According to a survey of 2,105 Americans, conducted by CouponCodes4u, 41per cent of travelers who have never been abroad feel that everything worth visiting is in the U.S. And when asked if they would be more likely to travel to other countries if they could afford to do so, 49per cent said that they would - while more than a quarter, 26per cent, said they would still stick to local vacationing spots.
I don't know why I didn't realize that Australia with population, 24.76 million is not served by a European airline other than British Airways. I wonder if Air France, Lufthansa, KLM or Norwegian Express will pursue Australia when longer range planes are produced?

From Sydney
British Airways Singapore, London–Heathrow

American Airlines Los Angeles
Delta Air Lines Los Angeles
United Airlines Los Angeles, San Francisco,Houston–Intercontinental (begins 20 January 2018)
Hawaiian Airlines Honolulu
Air Canada Vancouver, Toronto–Pearson

LATAM Chile Auckland, Santiago

Emirates Dubai–International, Bangkok–Suvarnabhumi, Christchurch
Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi
Qatar Airways Doha

Old 12-31-2017, 02:34 PM

2,291 posts, read 1,511,895 times
I presume the European airlines withdrew from the route as it was not profitable enough. Relatives used to fly to Italy on Alitalia and they would lose the luggage time after time after time. The Qantas Emirates codeshare works really well for Europe. I think we all feel we have plenty of choice as the Asian airlines are so good and efficient.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I presume the European airlines withdrew from the route as it was not profitable enough. .
Exactly. Plus they were all woefully inferior to the Asian and then ME3 carriers.

The yield, especially in business, is nowhere near as attractive as what airlines can get transatlantic with no competition from infinitely better airlines.

Last edited by BCC_1; 12-31-2017 at 05:32 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:

I don't know why I didn't realize that Australia with population, 24.76 million is not served by a European airline other than British Airways. I wonder if Air France, Lufthansa, KLM or Norwegian Express will pursue Australia when longer range planes are produced?
KLM, Lufthansa, Alitalia, Olympic, Virgin all used to fly to Sydney/Melbourne (probably not surprising that all those countries had large migrant communities in Australia). It's exceedingly difficult to fly economically through someone else's hub like every European airline has to do to get to Australia. Singapore and Cathay run 4 flights a day to Sydney, 3 to Melbourne, 2-3 to Brisbane. As well as flights to Perth, Cairns Darwin, Adelaide and Canberra. It's just not realistic to expect a European airline with one flight/day into Sydney to compete.

They might start flying ULH direct flights to Australia, but geez who wants to be on a plane for 22 hours straight, even in biz or first, let alone eco? No thanks. It'll probably be fairly expensive too. It costs a lot of money to carry tonnes of fuel that will only be burnt in the last few hours.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
They might start flying ULH direct flights to Australia, but geez who wants to be on a plane for 22 hours straight, even in biz or first, let alone eco? No thanks. It'll probably be fairly expensive too. It costs a lot of money to carry tonnes of fuel that will only be burnt in the last few hours.
The Concorde used to use about 1 tonne of fuel er seat for London to NYC. The A340-500 used to use close to 2 tonnes of fuel for Singapore to NYC until it was cancelled.

The world's longest flight is Doha to Auckland. I used the same range around Sydney to sh ow how close Sydney is to Helsinki, Kiev and Istanbul.
http://www.gcmap.com/map?P=ist%0d%0a...e&RC=%23ff0000

Turkish Airlines does not seem like it is going to invest in any long haul aircraft, and it is unlikely to do better than the Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar Airways.

I only suggested Finnair because it is already investing heavily in the A350 jet, and a ULR version doesn't seem like such a stretch Also Finnair is part of the Oneworld alliance with BA and Qantas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand