Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 03:07 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,956,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Pretty much universal dislike at the incompetency of Federal Government, I'd have thought.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for the feds. I just think it was a stupid thing to do given how much confusion there already is around vaccination.

RE the 80% vaccination rates, I also think that's a pipe dream. Even with Australians being a compliant peoples we will probably get 70% max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 05:40 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Tourism is at best a fickle industry. I guess you made good money in better times. Actually have been looking at buying property in Cairns. Lots of negatives to it but fed up in WA. Northern Beaches would be only likely place of interest. I hear that crime is out of control in that part of the world. Like a say, a lot to consider.
We were just discussing this investment tonight. It is by far the worst property investment we have ever made. Be very careful. My brother bought a property in basically the worst part of Sydney at much the same time and it has returned really well.

Old 07-01-2021, 04:22 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
No it wouldn't because all of the people most at risk are protected already. Most cases now don't lead to symptoms let alone a hospital stay, let alone an ICU intervention.
We are miles away from that point. The health system would *probably* cope but there would be thousands of deaths.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:30 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Its Getting Ridiculous now, Brisbane is in Lockdown, while logan is not. How the heck are they going to police that? Stop people from walking over the other side of the Street?

Old 07-02-2021, 12:14 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
We are miles away from that point. The health system would *probably* cope but there would be thousands of deaths.
There will be no mass outbreak of course given the quarantine precautions in place, but if we stopped all of those precautions, there could be thousands of death, like flu each year(over 8,000 in 2019). But with well over 60% of over 70's having at least one shot, the health system would cope fine.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:16 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Its Getting Ridiculous now, Brisbane is in Lockdown, while logan is not. How the heck are they going to police that? Stop people from walking over the other side of the Street?
The Governor elect is keeping us safe. The women that thinks covid for an 18 year old is less risky than the AZ vaccine. The women that thanks deaths from aspirin are less than AZ blood clotting deaths. We are in good hands.....

Old 07-02-2021, 05:36 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
There will be no mass outbreak of course given the quarantine precautions in place, but if we stopped all of those precautions, there could be thousands of death, like flu each year(over 8,000 in 2019). But with well over 60% of over 70's having at least one shot, the health system would cope fine.
The problem with the delta variant is it has an r0=6 and a short incubation period and there's plenty of 50+ people totally unvaccinated. But yeah, we're essentially talking hypotheticals because 1 or 2 cases is enough to throw most states into a lockdown.

I think it's outrageous that the cap has been reduced. Absolutely disgraceful. A couple of premiers have a lot to answer for.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:23 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
The problem with the delta variant is it has an r0=6 and a short incubation period and there's plenty of 50+ people totally unvaccinated. But yeah, we're essentially talking hypotheticals because 1 or 2 cases is enough to throw most states into a lockdown.

I think it's outrageous that the cap has been reduced. Absolutely disgraceful. A couple of premiers have a lot to answer for.
Yes, at the personal level my sister is still in Dubai as she only retired last week from several years as a teacher. Her husband returned here three months ago to start arranging their life in retirement back here. He now has a serious illness requiring surgery and understandably she wants to join him. Has her flight booked for later this month, but now...?

Old 07-03-2021, 10:15 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
Quote:
It is disheartening to see how far they are taking things. They have co-opted the CHO is a partisan hack. Her performance yesterday saying the AZ is more dangerous than covid was appalling. But hey, she has her payback already in the pocket with the announcement she will be the Governor.
Yes I thought it was extremely irresponsible for a seemingly well-informed bureaucrat to speak like that. I'm far from a fan of the Federal Government but for a CHO to fear monger on Astra when it causes death in 1 in a million cases is just absurd. Comments like that also risk decreasing confidence in the general vaccine program. She was already appointed Governor anyway when she made those comments so not sure what would be achieved in being more histrionic and political. Just bizarre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand