Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2022, 03:44 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Depends on your definition of screwed, the situations in that article had nothing to do with the reasons why he was deported either.

Here is the exact reasons why the minister made the decision.

". First, the Minister reasoned that Mr Djokovic was unvaccinated (Reasons at [18]), had
“indicated publicly that he is opposed to becoming vaccinated against COVID-19”
(Reasons at [18], [41]) and acted inconsistently with certain COVID-19 restrictions in
the past (Reasons at [23], [42]).

Secondly, the Minister reasoned that Mr Djokovic’s conduct and position against
vaccination against COVID-19 may encourage others to emulate him by reason of his
high profile and status (Reasons at [18], [24], [33]). Indeed, the Minister noted that
“there are some media reports that some groups opposed to vaccination have supported
Mr DJOKOVIC’s presence in Australia, by reference to his unvaccinated status”
(Reasons at [22(ii)]).

Thirdly, the Minister reasoned that, if others were encouraged to take up or maintain
resistance to vaccination or to COVID-19 restrictions, then that would present a
problem for the health of individuals and the operation of Australia’s hospital system
(Reasons at [20]-[22], [24], [33], [40]).

The Minister also concluded that Mr Djokovic’s presence in Australia may be a risk to
the good order of the Australian community, being a separate limb of s 116(1)(e)(i):"

https://www.fedcourt.gov.au/__data/a...ubmissions.pdf

If i was unvaccinated and showed up at a US airport, I would not be welcome in the country without a valid medical exemption either, and no previously having COVID is not a reason to obtian a medical clearance for the USA either. This if from the US government own website.

"at this time all noncitizen nonimmigrant air passengers traveling to the United States, regardless of antibody status, are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination"

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ccination.html

What we do not have in Australia is anything like this exemption clause

"Persons whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, Secretary of Transportation, or Secretary of Homeland Security (or their designees)"

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ccination.html

Now i have no doubt Djokovic would get in no problems under that.

So why are you signaling out Australia, when we have almost exactly the same laws as the USA for ordinary people? Also do you support the different treatment of international celebrities over ordinary people?
He never stated that he was opposed to the vaccination, but choose not to state his vaccination status. The media also played a big role influencing this too and stated he was anti vaccinate which was not entirely true.

Yet because he had covid, he had some immunity against covid. Plus the latest omicron variant, is not as deadly as delta. Unvaccinated and vaccinated are just as much risk of getting it. Being vaccinated gives a false sense of security too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 03:52 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,497,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
He never stated that he was opposed to the vaccination, but choose not to state his vaccination status. The media also played a big role influencing this too and stated he was anti vaccinate which was not entirely true.

Yet because he had covid, he had some immunity against covid. Plus the latest omicron variant, is not as deadly as delta. Unvaccinated and vaccinated are just as much risk of getting it. Being vaccinated gives a false sense of security too.
I honestly think if you did not have all those protests down in Melbourne, which sometimes turned violent, he may have had a far better chances of success, which is exactly the sort of thing I meant when I said it depends how you define "Screwed"

However at the end of the day you must disclose your vaccination status to get into well over 100 countries around the world at the moment. If you choose not to disclose it, yes its personal choice you should be able to make, however also you need to accept that its a personal choice that can have major consequences if you wish to travel internationally.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-03-2022 at 04:53 PM..

Old 02-03-2022, 04:09 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,372 times
Quote:
Thats what I meant when I said it depends how you define "Screwed"

However at the end of the day you must disclose your vaccination status to get into well over 100 countries around the world at the moment. If you choose not to disclose it, yes its personal choice, however you need to accept that its a personal choice that can have major consequences if you wish to travel internationally.
Well I saw his social media posts and all he was was pro choice. He was not opposed to people choosing to get it. He is not like Pete Evans who is outspoken against the vaccines. Anyway Tennis Australia allowed him to pay here in Australia, but the mainstream media started attacking him and questioning him if he was vaccinated. After that politicians got involved.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:44 AM

1,014 posts, read 479,166 times
I just thought since he didn't take the vaccine, nobody really knew who he was. And that's the stance any player would have taken if they played him. So he would have lied all the way about him being vaccinated. Just had to tell the truth. He was an easy target. Take the vaccine, or not play at all. Not playing also in the French open is Novak. Unless he takes the vaccine before the French Open, then he clan play. They are also making it known to players. I don't know if he has taken the vaccine yet. I think it's unfair for the others. For him to play and not take the vaccine, that's unfair for the others playing against him.

Last edited by tyCable; 02-04-2022 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: unfair

Old 02-13-2022, 04:50 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,286,674 times
the treatment of Novak Djokovic recently would seriously put me off visiting Australia for a long time and I have a lot of friends and relatives in that country

Old 02-13-2022, 02:39 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the treatment of Novak Djokovic recently would seriously put me off visiting Australia for a long time and I have a lot of friends and relatives in that country
That is absolutely your right. But perhaps fortunately it may not make a difference to some of the other big tourist markets as I am not sure that Malaysians and Japanese are big followers of tennis.

Old 02-13-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
That is absolutely your right. But perhaps fortunately it may not make a difference to some of the other big tourist markets as I am not sure that Malaysians and Japanese are big followers of tennis.
Maybe bob should go to Malaysia or Japan for a Holiday instead? - Oh wait

Old 02-14-2022, 06:56 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,286,674 times
Quote:
Maybe bob should go to Malaysia or Japan for a Holiday instead? - Oh wait
Nah , Probably just the UK , was in London back in October and no hysteria over Covid

Old 03-09-2022, 09:28 PM

I wonder what the American far right mob are going to say now that Novak has now been officially banned from playing at indian wells?

Old 03-10-2022, 06:07 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,404 times
I agree that if you want to visit a stupid authoritarian country, you gotta play by their stupid authoritarian rules...otherwise, just stay home....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand