Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 01:21 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,317,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yeah, it does seem more likely now that he’ll be able to play the other three. As of right now, he’s good for the French Open and The Championships at Wimbledon.

Of course, it all depends on whether the U.S. drops its vaccine entry requirements.
So far, he’s been barred from Indian Wells and the Miami Open since he couldn’t enter the country but who knows what will happen/change between now and August.
The U.S. has pretty much dropped all COVID precautions/restrictions. Almost no one wears a mask. Schools and universities have little to no COVID restrictions. The government wants life to be back as normal, so can’t imagine he wouldn’t be allowed to play here. So, Australia is the outlier..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 12:14 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,312,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
The U.S. has pretty much dropped all COVID precautions/restrictions. Almost no one wears a mask. Schools and universities have little to no COVID restrictions. The government wants life to be back as normal, so can’t imagine he wouldn’t be allowed to play here. So, Australia is the outlier..
Australia has dropped most restrictions too and few people wear a mask except in a few settings, depending on the state (medical, airports)

But the issue is that Australia and as far as I know, the US, still require non-immigrant non-citizens to be vaccinated to enter the country.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Australia has dropped most restrictions too and few people wear a mask except in a few settings, depending on the state (medical, airports)

But the issue is that Australia and as far as I know, the US, still require non-immigrant non-citizens to be vaccinated to enter the country.
Not likely to happen in the U.S. As I said, Australia will likely be the outlier…

Old 04-01-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Not likely to happen in the U.S. As I said, Australia will likely be the outlier…
As far as I know it is happening now for entry to the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ir-travel.html

Which does not make Australia the outlier at this time.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:40 PM

Quote:

Let’s revisit this thread in a few months. I bet Australia will be the only major this year where Djokovic was not allowed to play…

Old 04-02-2022, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Let’s revisit this thread in a few months. I bet Australia will be the only major this year where Djokovic was not allowed to play…
Yes, let’s. That well may be the case because the Covid restrictions are easing rapidly world wide. Including here.

Nobody much here is looking back and grinding their teeth because he was not allowed to play here last January.

What we are feeling sad about is that the Open was the final time we will have enjoyed the amazing performances of Ash Barty.

Ash is the person who will be remembered by us for many years to come.

Old 04-02-2022, 01:54 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,898,742 times
Quote:
More nonsense.

Old 04-02-2022, 03:33 AM

5,060 posts, read 7,508,427 times
Quote:
The fact is if any of the other majors was held in January 2022, Djokovic might have been able to play in one of them (Wimbledon).

We can revisit yes, but I can almost guarantee you that Australia's COVD policies in August ,will be almost exactly the same as those of the USA, just like they were in January.

In the mean time, As COVID restrictions placed on athletes is such an issue for you why don't you pop over to the Canada forum? The NBA playoffs are about to start, and I am sure the fans of the Toronto Raptors would love to hear your opinion.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:02 AM

30,655 posts, read 18,269,220 times
Quote:

To be fair, though, the vaccine requirements to enter the US only seem to apply to air travel. Djokovic could fly into Canada or Mexico and legally enter into the United States by land crossing without being vaccinated under the current guidelines. He could also arrive via sea and not be subject to the vaccine requirements. If Australia doesn't have such loopholes (granted, for Australia, a comparable loophole would only apply to arrivals by sea), it does seem to be somewhat of an outlier even today as far as this debate is concerned.

Quote:
Do the requirements of this order apply to land border crossings or to persons arriving at seaports?

No, the requirements of the Presidential Proclamation and CDC’s Order only apply to air travel into the United States.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ation.html#faq

Interestingly enough, I'm willing to bet that the land/sea loopholes in existing US policy were put into place in order to pander to a certain political base here in the States.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:06 AM

30,655 posts, read 18,269,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
The fact is if any of the other majors was held in January 2022, Djokovic might have been able to play in one of them (Wimbledon).

We can revisit yes, but I can almost guarantee you that Australia's COVD policies in August ,will be almost exactly the same as those of the USA, just like they were in January.

In the mean time, As COVID restrictions placed on athletes is such an issue for you why don't you pop over to the Canada forum? The NBA playoffs are about to start, and I am sure the fans of the Toronto Raptors would love to hear your opinion.
True, but that would only be because of NYC's specific vaccine mandate as Djokovic would be able to enter into the US without being vaccinated (I already mentioned how in my previous post). Given that NYC has since lifted its vaccinate mandate for professional athletes, if any of the majors were held today, Djokovic could conceivably play in at least two of them (US and Wimbledon). And possibly even in the French Open based on some of the workarounds I'm reading, though I'm less clear on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand