Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:53 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
with no worries about sun damage. Different lifestyle, but we survived.
Except for those who got skin cancer and died

Not saying there may not be a paranoia now about the sun, but I've known a lot of people who got skin cancer & some who have died. It's very real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 04:23 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Are the Aussies going to take responsibility for their own unhealthy lifestyle and do something about it or are they going to blame it on good ol' USA like everyone else does?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:51 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Are the Aussies going to take responsibility for their own unhealthy lifestyle and do something about it or are they going to blame it on good ol' USA like everyone else does?
Oh, from what I've been hearing the last couple of years, blame it on the good ol' USA. That's much easier, especially in this day and age of personal responsibility being so old-fashioned and all. You should hear the anger directed towards Maccas (MacDonalds) and the belief that Maccas started it all, as if they'd never come to our shores we'd all be slim and svelte! Meanwhile Aussie fast food is just as fattening and unhealthy - meat pies, sausage rolls, chicko rolls, etc. And Maccas has nothing to do with our lack of exercise, but hey, blaming others for our problems in life is the trendy thing these days. Teachers, cops, society, government, etc. Everyone but ourselves.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Oh, from what I've been hearing the last couple of years, blame it on the good ol' USA. That's much easier, especially in this day and age of personal responsibility being so old-fashioned and all. You should hear the anger directed towards Maccas (MacDonalds) and the belief that Maccas started it all, as if they'd never come to our shores we'd all be slim and svelte! Meanwhile Aussie fast food is just as fattening and unhealthy - meat pies, sausage rolls, chicko rolls, etc. And Maccas has nothing to do with our lack of exercise, but hey, blaming others for our problems in life is the trendy thing these days. Teachers, cops, society, government, etc. Everyone but ourselves.

Not too mention, How much Drinking is ingrained in our culture? Not that I'm a "Wowser" (As I love a few cold ones ) But Australians generally drink far too much alcohol. (Heck, The early Colony ran on Rum! )

As much as I hate hearing anything bad about this country, We do only have ourselves to blame.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 06-30-2008 at 10:09 AM..

Old 07-01-2008, 05:17 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Not too mention, How much Drinking is ingrained in our culture? Not that I'm a "Wowser" (As I love a few cold ones ) But Australians generally drink far too much alcohol. (Heck, The early Colony ran on Rum! )

As much as I hate hearing anything bad about this country, We do only have ourselves to blame.
I'm with you all the way, Kangaroofarmer. Yes, we drink way too much and alcoholic drinks have lots of calories. I love a beer or two too, and our wines are amazing - such a variety, and great quality. But everything in moderation is the way to go - food and booze.

We need more of us - people who are not afraid of taking a good hard look at ourselves, willing to do some healthy self-criticism. Some here are way too sensitive about hearing anything bad about Oz, but it's not bad to criticise some things we do badly. Only way to improve and grow is to admit the not-so-great things and change them. Making excuses and blaming other countries/people/things is not the way to go.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:17 PM

22 posts, read 146,987 times
I think both US and Australia have obesity problems because of 2 main reasons:
1. They are both 'rich' countries. There is too much money to buy too much food. Is it a coincidence there are rarely any fat people in poor countries?
2. Over-reliance on cars (which is not our fault since geography lends itself to building cities which are sprawled all over the show instead of being compact like in Asia or Europe).

Another thing is portion size. People who change their diet to a healthier one, and then wonder 'why aren't I losing weight?' Well, maybe because you are consuming too many calories still... AND you never do any exercise?

Old 07-28-2008, 04:48 AM

200 posts, read 1,008,519 times
I'm not blaming maccas or any other fast food joint. But fast food is quite a bit cheaper in Australia and the US than it is Europe or Asia. Yes I know people have to take responsability for themselves. We Aussies do drink too much but no more than the Brits or a lot of places in Europe. In fact the Brits are much bigger drinkers I reckon.

The servings in both countries are much larger at restaurants than anywhere else. I had a medium pizza in San Diego a few months ago. Man I've seen tables smaller than that pizza in the UK.

But I actually think that you find a higher percentage of very athletic people in these 2countries as well. There is a far higher percentage of Americans and Aussies who regularly excersize too. You're more likely to meet extremes in both countries. England on the other hand is a country with a lot of slightly overweight people.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:47 AM

552 posts, read 1,073,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
there's more obese people in the US South (even without Texas) alone than the entire population of Australia
The South still has more than double the population of Australia, even without Texas.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:05 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,444 times
Yes! We're the champs of '08!

Old 12-31-2008, 05:13 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsaintkilda View Post
England on the other hand is a country with a lot of slightly overweight people.
Except for the ones on this show: "You Are What You Eat" (2004)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand