Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:13 AM

6,044 posts, read 5,952,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Actually the UK has a bill of rights from 1689 and updated in 1998.

Well there is some encroachment but believe me its less pervasive than say in the US where there is a constitutional bill of rights.
Actually what you refer to of 1689 was the English Bill of Rights,influenced i expect from the Magna Carta(1215) and in 98 The Human Rights Agreement was formed which complements the European Court of Human Rights,where Brits can take their greviances to if failing to receive what that individual may consider as justice in a British court.
As for a Bill of Rights and Freedoms,a cross party consesus with regards to this subject was published in July 07.(Governance of Britain Green Paper)
Present British Prime MinisterCameroon, spoke in it's favour.
Some possible negatives i can think of i suppose would be finding sufficeintly impartial folk to draw up a written constitution.To important to be left solely to politicians perhaps? Also i can see the rigidity of it's statutes a possible problem at times.
But to have it clear understanding of what a person has the right to expect from public authorties sounds pretty good to me as a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
A written Constitution is near worthless, any future government can pass laws to sidestep.

The "American Patriot Act", basically removes Americans rights and gives them similar rites to what you would expect in Communist China. The US still has there Constitution but its now worthless.
The wording alone was rather cleaver as it blunted any potential protest as being undemocratic and unAmerican. Doesn't make the constitution worthless just means folk must be on guard against the loss of individual freedoms taken away by the state under such patriotic guises.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
I dunno....

In what way are we behind the 8 ball on political issues.

Can you think of a time where the "right" thing wasn't done towards the populace?

This is a point.
I wondered why this wasn't made a bigger deal at the time it was introduced.
My turn on that is the name. America in times of crisis it would be unpatriotic to protest. A gift almost to tighten the screws of state control.
Australians don't really engage in politics by and large and show in my opinion very limited interest in the subject.
Living in France prior to coming to OZ the situation was in mant ways in reverse. Politics is an often discussed and acted on subject there and the defence of rights and justice is part of the national character. Most other countries have a keen awareness and cab discuss as well.

Last edited by the troubadour; 10-21-2010 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 10-27-2010, 09:49 PM

13 posts, read 40,433 times
I love to see Koala in Australia, Also in Australia work pay there is great.")

Old 10-27-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelstephnie View Post
I love to see Koala in Australia, Also in Australia work pay there is great.")
Depends on what you do as far as the pay goes. but Australia does rightly have,in my opinion, one of the highest minimun wages in the world.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:52 PM

359 posts, read 658,377 times
Australians are all saints. Every day we perform miracles and we can tie our shoelaces as well.

The only thing we don't know is how our hats stay on our heads if we are all upside down.

Accent preferences are puzzling. Remember spending some time in Canada and didn't hear an Australian accent for six weeks. Got to the airport to come home and heard the coarse twang of a fellow Australian traveler and just didn't want to go home to listen to that irritation.

Much prefer the North American accent to ours.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manygeese View Post
Australians are all saints. Every day we perform miracles and we can tie our shoelaces as well.

The only thing we don't know is how our hats stay on our heads if we are all upside down.

Accent preferences are puzzling. Remember spending some time in Canada and didn't hear an Australian accent for six weeks. Got to the airport to come home and heard the coarse twang of a fellow Australian traveler and just didn't want to go home to listen to that irritation.

Much prefer the North American accent to ours.
Agree in general is more pleasant on the ears,but is to me something more important than that it sounds far more alive.
Although another poster,American i believe claimed to have found the Aussie accent sexy.....

Old 10-31-2010, 10:10 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,921 times
Like all accents there are a multitude of difference North American and Australian accents. Myself I prefer some sort of brogue which ends up not being understandable anyway.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Agree in general is more pleasant on the ears,but is to me something more important than that it sounds far more alive.
Although another poster,American i believe claimed to have found the Aussie accent sexy.....
It's whatever you find exotic. I have to say the Aussie accent is probably anything but sexy (it's kinda raunchy, though), but then alot of accents are. I'd say a smooth American or European accent is more 'sexy.'

Old 11-01-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's whatever you find exotic. I have to say the Aussie accent is probably anything but sexy (it's kinda raunchy, though), but then alot of accents are. I'd say a smooth American or European accent is more 'sexy.'
Have met a number of women that find the Irish accent sexy..mmm..not sure i describe many native English speakers as having "sexy" accents,although like a few English ones and as you say a smooth American and especially certain European ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand