Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:09 AM

15 posts, read 42,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
So are you saying the crime stats on Nationsmaster are wrong? Here's the link again.

Total crimes (per capita) by country. Definition, graph and map. (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri_percap-crime-total-crimes-per-capita - broken link)

Have to admit this is interesting as violent crime (as distinct from "all crime") seems to follow the black population with a fair, though not complete, correlation:

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New Zealand is *way* down on this list.
I agree with 1Damutt, lots of places petty crimes are not investigated properly, but in New Zealand they are.

Suits us fine though, if you don't want to come here don't bother. We are fine without you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 04:43 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
What brought you to Invercargill in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Damutt View Post
So i have checked out this thread and have read all the way through it. i have just found it so i hope you come back to read what i have written someday. first off let me say this I am a African American from northern Cali. 707 all day everyday baby i graduated from Chico State and i now reside in NZ i live in Invercargill wich is the southern most city in NZ . i will tell you this. i absolutely love it here. I am like a local celebrity everyone knows me and treats me good. the women in Invercargill are lovely and you have to go to any netball center on a Saturday trust me dog you want to be there. As for crime NZ isn't a violent place what so ever and trust me it doesn't matter where you go nobody wants to be grabbed by a big black guy, so you always have that working for you. now i say all of that to get to the good stuff. While i was at Chico State i had the number one rated music show at KCSC radio.com from 07-08 i had a 3 hour show first hour did old school like epmd, rakim, tribe called quest, second hour and my most popular hour was the international part where i did hip-hop from around the world. rappers putting it down from germany, canada, france and yes NZ you need to check out this cat name Scribe, he has come out with two albums and they both rock i mean this cat really puts it down. on his first album called the Crusader, (name of rugby team in canterbury) he lays down some wicked flows check out the song called "Not Many" and you will get a good idea of what he brings to the table , that album went five times platnium. (papa roach went four just to give you some scale) his second album called Rhymebook i think was an even better album there is a track that features Talib Kweli called "Be Alright" that song is straight nice and is one of my favorites., not to mention the tracks "Champion, and My ****" that album is very well put together. now like i said i am in Invercargill and this town aint for everybody. you need to know that there is a big difference between the North Island and the South island as i see it. the north is more city like where as the South island is much more laid back and farmers. and they have stated that Auckland and wellington is the best weather spots well they are lying to you it rains all the time there. the best place to live in NZ is this place called Nelson i visted there and man was it awesome. look bro im not messing with you. just do whatever it takes to get to NZ , learn to play rugby, go to the saturday netball in the town you live, and openly hate the Wallabies and everybody and i mean everybody will love you. I love NZ and im not ever going home.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 21,769 times
Default Reason I came

Im trying to knock up all the island women wasn't suppose to admit that

Old 12-07-2009, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
Hi every one.I'm an African American Male and I am also a Disc Jockey in Florida. I would like to get some information on New Zealand.

What is like for Black People?

Is Hip Hop Music Prevalent in New Zealand?

Is it cool place to go to College?

What is the economy like now? Thank You!
Hi,

Dont go to NZ, they really do not like Africans no matter where you are from, i am a British African and had a hellish time there, those New Zealanders (and Australians coz we went there first) are the worst people i have ever met,and RACIST ! DO NOT GO!!!!! come to London we love out American bro's here and there are plenty of us!

Old 12-08-2009, 04:28 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Damutt View Post
Im trying to knock up all the island women wasn't suppose to admit that
"Hey, where the white women at?"

Quote:
As for crime NZ isn't a violent place what so ever and trust me it doesn't matter where you go nobody wants to be grabbed by a big black guy, so you always have that working for you. now i say all of that to get to the good stuff.
I guess this is what saves you from the above quote of yours.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,070 times
thank you Wanneroo for the truth from your point of view. we get tired of hearing only the positives of countries and yet we are only interested in the truth. I personally want to know the negatives as well so as to make an informed decision. Not everyone has to be a marketer of new zealand we have wikipedia and a dozen other websites for that and for those of us who have no friends in the country we are led to believe it is heaven with no faults. I am talking from Cyprus experience. Foreigners are mislead into coming to Cyprus for study only to find poor standards and crap segregatory laws eg being told students are allowed to work 20hours a week and when you get here you are told third world students are not allowed to work or can only do cleaning and dirty jobs. Not to be too off but my point is let people tell the truth. Do not be afraid of losing tourists at the expense of truth. Ofcourse like every country New Zealand has upsides but just as well it has its downside and we want to know both!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 PM

67 posts, read 113,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhillmob View Post
Hi,

Dont go to NZ, they really do not like Africans no matter where you are from, i am a British African and had a hellish time there, those New Zealanders (and Australians coz we went there first) are the worst people i have ever met,and RACIST ! DO NOT GO!!!!! come to London we love out American bro's here and there are plenty of us!
The reason why the didn't like you is not because of your skin colour, but it could be primarily because of your attitude and how you treated people. I could be wrong but just saying. Racism is everywhere.

I have been reading threads about Australian & New Zealand and some people have talked and asked about racism in these countries. I feel bad now because I asked one and I think it annoyed some people. It's not right to label a country racist. just saying...

Old 07-01-2010, 11:48 PM

80 posts, read 125,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko1 View Post
I agree with 1Damutt, lots of places petty crimes are not investigated properly, but in New Zealand they are.

Suits us fine though, if you don't want to come here don't bother. We are fine without you.
Are they, you sure about that, do you have some facts to show that NZ is better than other places please?

I can think of plenty of cases where the police failed to investigate crime properly - the 'Birkenhead Burglars', the child abuse victims in the Wairarapa being just two.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:18 PM

387 posts, read 871,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Hi wanneroo, I agree with some of what you have said, and I think you are just trying to show a balanced view rather than people thinking it's a wonderful paradise. I will say, however that the Nationmaster crime stats can also indicate the 'prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence' of crime. But, NZ does undoubtedly have a crime problem - there are few places in Auckland that I'd feel safe walking alone in the dark.

NZs universities are good, but they are horribly underfunded. You just can't compare them to the good US universities which operate with HUGE endowments. NZs highest ranked uni (Auckland) is around 46th in the world, which isn't bad for such a small country. As for student life, I'd have to say it's probably nothing like the US unis where its considered a life experience. In NZ, many students still live at home and only go to uni for classes. I'd say the closest thing to student life is drinking at the bar till you puke or tipping cars over (Otago students!). Don't get me wrong, I used to love this aspect but I think the US universities offer students a lot more in the way of extra-curricular activities. But I agree, an exchange is probably a good idea.

There is no doubt an African American would stand out in NZ. There is a hip-hop scene mainly amongst the Maori and Pacific Islanders, and NZ hip-hop has a very 'pacific' vibe. I really don't know much about it, but I do know that.

The economy is not great. NZ is not immune to the effects of the global downturn. Unemployment will get very high and house prices will keep falling (that's not necessarily a bad thing though!). On the plus side the kiwi dollar is so low, thus very cheap for those of us with US dollars to spend!!
I don't think it's quite that bad!!!

NZ and Australia are great places to be right now regarding the recession.

The US is much, much worse off right now. Look at Nevada and California.
NZ's unemployment is nowhere near that of the US ....we do not have awful things going on....a couple of percentage points increase u/e and that's it. Many finance companies have collapsed, but they would have anyway (bad, shonky management)

Housing will not crash where there is high demand and lower supply. My house has appreciated 10% since the recession started. Real estate agents are begging in my area for homes to sell due to high demand. I have notes and flyers and little gifts from them at least three times a week.

And Auckland University is worldclass .... good place to study for a foreigner.
There are lots of Americans students here

Old 07-02-2010, 03:29 PM

387 posts, read 871,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb112 View Post
The reason why the didn't like you is not because of your skin colour, but it could be primarily because of your attitude and how you treated people. I could be wrong but just saying. Racism is everywhere.

I have been reading threads about Australian & New Zealand and some people have talked and asked about racism in these countries. I feel bad now because I asked one and I think it annoyed some people. It's not right to label a country racist. just saying...
Auckland is very multi-cultural ....there would be no problem for you here.
However, in smaller country towns in NZ.... you may experience staring or questions. However, any negative behaviour you may experience will likely be basically ignorance...not hatred.

In Australia ... unfortunately, smaller places can be racist. I know many of my Australian neighbours will disagree with me. However, I will stand by my assertion that many Australians are racist. You will find this in areas more heavily populated with white lower class/lower middle class persons of
British descent. So please don't move to one of those places.

I am white but have some southern european blood and look a bit different to other whites. And I get questions and staring sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand