Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:12 AM

6 posts, read 23,282 times

Advertisements

If I were starting in Christchurch, was is the most logical and sequential way to see all the great parts of NZ without backtracking too much, ending up in Aukland. Is a week enough time? Should I plan for more? I have a semi-flexible schedule, will be staying in hostels, and just out to have a great adventure! Part of the round-the-world trip. I am interested in the train option, which I found at RailNewZealand.com...as local as possible, not into tourist traps (I live on a tourist trap island as it is, ha!)

But if there are any locals out there with good advice for maximizing my trip, I've heard amazing things about NZ and look forward to a great time!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:44 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
I would try to spend more than a week...I spent two weeks and that was just the South Island.

I would go from Christchurch down the coast to Invercargill, go up to Queenstown, through Fiordland up to Milford Sound, up the west coast to Blenheim where you can catch the ferry to the North Island. From Wellington you can just wind your way up the North Island to Auckland.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 AM

718 posts, read 2,360,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I would try to spend more than a week...I spent two weeks and that was just the South Island.

I would go from Christchurch down the coast to Invercargill, go up to Queenstown, through Fiordland up to Milford Sound, up the west coast to Blenheim where you can catch the ferry to the North Island. From Wellington you can just wind your way up the North Island to Auckland.
I would agree. If you want a great trip, I would take more than a week. The south island is more than spectacular, and if you take out of Christchurch heading north, you have missed some of the most beautiful parts of the world!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
You're going to need at least 2 weeks if you're driving or taking the train. It takes a lot longer to get from A to B than people realise. Plus, I have a suspicion some of the NZ rail system is shutting down for good this year. The route I would suggest is Christchurch - Queenstown - Picton - Wellington - Napier - Rotorua - Auckland. I don't know if that's even feasible by train but you'd get to see a lot of the country.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:06 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
I would say Christchurch to Te Anau to Queenstown over to Wanaka over the Haast road, up the west coast over to Blenheim/Picton. From there change over rental cars and onto the ferry over to Wellington. Wellington now to Napier then to Taupo over to Rotorua then around Coromandel Peninsula and finishing in Auckland.

The route I suggested would hit all the major highlights.

Backpacking it relying on public transportation will slow you down a bit. There are backpacking buses you can get on and off at different stops. To do you what you want in the time frame or even going direct from CHCH to AUCK a rental car is necessary.

The train also I don't think is feasible for getting around for various reasons. Possible maybe for some legs of the trip, but not all. The train over Arthurs Pass from ChCh is of interest. Otherwise NZ is not like Europe with the big regularly scheduled people oriented train service.

I recommend about two weeks for the south island and one for the north island. With a week by land you CAN get from ChCh to Auckland easily but if you would try to divert around to see things you'll spend so much time in transit I don't see the value in that. I recommend sticking to one island with only a week on the table.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:28 AM

6 posts, read 23,282 times
If I need more time, that's cool. I can arrange for it. Is a month too long? I figure if I am going to be there, I have to do it right? Also, how do you get to Rarotonga from NZ? Is that a common route?

Thanks for all the responses. Appreciate it! I would have totally stayed away from the South just because the train didn't seem to go there. I want to explore as much by train, foot and bus. Car is okay, but sometimes there are limitations. Both ways I guess. But I also want to be safe. OH, what's the deal with driving in NZ, never drove in another country before. I am from the US. Backpacking buses, that sounds like an option.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:54 AM

26 posts, read 112,325 times
I agree with the other posts: a decent tour of the south island really needs at least a week all on its own. And it's bigger than it may seem from a map: Nelson to Invercargill may be only 700km as the crow flies, but I put on about 4000km doing a big circle around the island a few years ago.

In addition to the other attractions mentioned, before you leave the Christchurch area, take a side trip to Akaroa. It's a small, very pretty resort town with an unexpected French flavor.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueoceanair View Post
If I need more time, that's cool. I can arrange for it. Is a month too long? I figure if I am going to be there, I have to do it right? Also, how do you get to Rarotonga from NZ? Is that a common route?

Thanks for all the responses. Appreciate it! I would have totally stayed away from the South just because the train didn't seem to go there. I want to explore as much by train, foot and bus. Car is okay, but sometimes there are limitations. Both ways I guess. But I also want to be safe. OH, what's the deal with driving in NZ, never drove in another country before. I am from the US. Backpacking buses, that sounds like an option.
A month should give you plenty of time to see the top places of interest at a decent unhurried pace.

The train is not really a common thing in NZ. Probably you would find more suitable the backpacker buses that go from town to town.

Driving in NZ is different from the USA in many ways. You're on the other side of the road so you have to think in clockwise rather than counter clockwise and always remember to look right. Roundabouts are more common and there isn't really much in the way of 4 lane highways outside of the major cities. So a lot of two lane winding roads. Other than that it's not a major issue driving around. I have a lot of experience with it now plus also driving race cars sitting on that side of the car, so I can switch my mind over easily. Other people have a tough time.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist View Post
I agree with the other posts: a decent tour of the south island really needs at least a week all on its own. And it's bigger than it may seem from a map: Nelson to Invercargill may be only 700km as the crow flies, but I put on about 4000km doing a big circle around the island a few years ago.

In addition to the other attractions mentioned, before you leave the Christchurch area, take a side trip to Akaroa. It's a small, very pretty resort town with an unexpected French flavor.
The first time I went to the south island I racked up 6000 kms on a rental car so it is easy to do.

Akaroa is a nice little town and a decent drive over from ChCh. I would describe it as a good day excursion from ChCh.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:24 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
A month should give you plenty of time to see the top places of interest at a decent unhurried pace.

The train is not really a common thing in NZ. Probably you would find more suitable the backpacker buses that go from town to town.

Driving in NZ is different from the USA in many ways. You're on the other side of the road so you have to think in clockwise rather than counter clockwise and always remember to look right. Roundabouts are more common and there isn't really much in the way of 4 lane highways outside of the major cities. So a lot of two lane winding roads. Other than that it's not a major issue driving around. I have a lot of experience with it now plus also driving race cars sitting on that side of the car, so I can switch my mind over easily. Other people have a tough time.
And don't forget the gearstick will be in your left hand! The best trick is to get behind a local driver and just follow them - that way you won't feel like drifting into the other lane. And there are only two roads in NZ that run in a straight line for more than 1 mile so you'll be doing a lot of gear changing unless you can find a car company that provides automatics.

FYI: If someone coming the other way is flashing their lights at you SLOW DOWN. It means there's a speed-trap up ahead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand