Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:06 AM

549 posts, read 1,664,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I had no idea she was 100% aboriginal! Thanks for enlightening us!
According to wikipedia, (Demographics of Australia)

Demographics of Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The majority of the estimated 21 million Australians are descended from pre-Federation European settlers and post-Federation immigrants from Europe, with around 90% of Australia's population being of European descent. Over 8% of the current population is of Asian descent (predominantly Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino and Indian). The total Indigenous population is estimated at about 520,000 individuals, including people of mixed and non-mixed indigenous Australian descent".

Well...in the USA when we think about Australian nationals, a picture of an Aboriginal doesn`t come to our minds. To us, Australians are unmixed white descendants of Europeans. Those Australians that are the majority (90%) of your population.

If you consider Aboriginals to be the majority of the population there, and also believe that Aboriginals are "the true Australians" that built that great modern nation... many Australians around you are going to believe you are uneducated.

If you want people from overseas to believe that Australians look like Aboriginals... Good luck with that! you will probably have to nuke Australia to erase 90%+ of your population.

In my opinion, Nicole Kidman is 100% Australian. Her parents are both Australians, and they belong to the majority of your country`s nationals.

In the future, if the demographics in Australia are different and 35% of your nationals were aboriginal, I would agree with you that she can`t be considered a true Australian...but pleaseeeee...be objective...the present total Indigenous (Aboriginal) population is estimated at about 520,000 individuals, including people of mixed and non-mixed indigenous Australian descent.

Do any of these actors look Aboriginal to you???

Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, Heath Ledger, Naomi Watts, Mel Gibson, Cate Blanchett, and Eric Bana.

Well.... these are the Australians that represent your country and they look like the majority of the people there.

Again, I am sorry if you want people to believe that true Australians = Aboriginals.

If you don`t belong to that 90%+ of the Australian population who is unmixed Euro white because you are Asian Australian or Aboriginal... I am sorry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 01:31 AM

339 posts, read 1,168,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucara View Post
So, my boyfriend and I are completely in love with New Zealand. We are interested in possibly moving there from the US although it wont be for some time.

What are a few good areas to look at to move to?

We are looking for a place with a 3br house, land, and good schools. Preferably something that's around $300k USD. We don't mind living in the middle of no where!

What are places to watch out for? Bad areas, high crime and such.

How is the economy? Are jobs readily available? Are there mass amounts of homeless?

How is the price of living compared to the US on average, also compare wages.

Neither of us can speak any language other than English. Is the country predominantly English speaking?

Any other information that you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
As someone who has moved countries a couple of times, my number one piece of advice would be GO THERE FIRST! Figure out the areas you are interested in and visit them. If you are interested in Auckland, for example, visit the areas that interest you and try to get a feel for everyday life - not just as a tourist.

NZ is in recession and unemployment is expected to rise to 7-8% in the near future. Don't pay any attention to vague CIA website statistics quoted by someone in Miami!

You also need to figure out if your even eligible to immigrate. Go to the NZ govt immigration website to check.

Once you have an idea of what you'll do for a living plus what areas interest you to live then people may be able to in answer more specific questions.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:48 AM

HKGAL wrote,

"As someone who has moved countries a couple of times, my number one piece of advice would be GO THERE FIRST! Figure out the areas you are interested in and visit them. If you are interested in Auckland, for example, visit the areas that interest you and try to get a feel for everyday life - not just as a tourist.

NZ is in recession and unemployment is expected to rise to 7-8% in the near future. Don't pay any attention to vague CIA website statistics quoted by someone in Miami!"

"GO THERE FIRST" >>> That sounds expensive.

Please, don`t pay attention to that rich person in Hong Kong.

First, do an online research about Australia and New Zealand (Internet is inexpensive).

Second, take the skilled immigrant online tests and see if you qualify...

Finally, if you like the overall info about Australia and New Zealand and you succesfully passed the skilled immigration sample tests (point test)....then...then... visit Australia and New Zealand, and see if you like the cities...

I recommend you to visit those countries after yo do all the research because it is costly to go over there from USA.

Not many people are rich like the one that posted from Hong Kong.

So don`t go there FIRST, do some research... there are many reliable websites that you can use to get some info about the quality of life there. Lucara, we are both Americans.... I used the CIA because we always look there first...try a different one...big deal...

Good luck.

Last edited by Eduardo983; 05-12-2009 at 02:17 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 03:50 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post

Again, I am sorry if you want people to believe that true Australians = Aboriginals.

I am sorry, if you want people to believe that you don't have a clue? Don't you think that the first Settlers/Landholders. Have far greater right to call themselves "Australian"? Than a bunch of troublesome European Blow'ins, who felt they could just take Aboriginal land by force!

(The same can be said, in regards to the Native Americans.)

It has nothing to do, with what percentage of the population has what blood! Or who the world considers as being representative of Australians!. But everything to do, with understanding and appreciating, the people who made it here first!....Australia was never actually "Terra Nullius".

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 05-12-2009 at 04:13 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 07:32 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Why is it that the OPs seldom come back to participate in discussions they started?

<sigh>

Seems like such a waste of time responding sometimes.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:19 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Why is it that the OPs seldom come back to participate in discussions they started?

<sigh>

Seems like such a waste of time responding sometimes.
yup and if you look at the OPs posts they are also thinking of moving to Alabama and Oregon...

Old 05-12-2009, 06:20 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
You don't get sarcasm do you?
I was taking the pi$$ out on you when I told you "thanks for enlightening us that Nicole is aboriginal"
i wasn't expecting incoherent, illogical dribble..
Quote:
According to wikipedia, (Demographics of Australia)

Demographics of Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The majority of the estimated 21 million Australians are descended from pre-Federation European settlers and post-Federation immigrants from Europe, with around 90% of Australia's population being of European descent. Over 8% of the current population is of Asian descent (predominantly Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino and Indian). The total Indigenous population is estimated at about 520,000 individuals, including people of mixed and non-mixed indigenous Australian descent".

Old 05-13-2009, 08:06 AM

339 posts, read 1,168,944 times
Quote:
HKGAL wrote,

"As someone who has moved countries a couple of times, my number one piece of advice would be GO THERE FIRST! Figure out the areas you are interested in and visit them. If you are interested in Auckland, for example, visit the areas that interest you and try to get a feel for everyday life - not just as a tourist.

NZ is in recession and unemployment is expected to rise to 7-8% in the near future. Don't pay any attention to vague CIA website statistics quoted by someone in Miami!"

"GO THERE FIRST" >>> That sounds expensive.

Please, don`t pay attention to that rich person in Hong Kong.

First, do an online research about Australia and New Zealand (Internet is inexpensive).

Second, take the skilled immigrant online tests and see if you qualify...

Finally, if you like the overall info about Australia and New Zealand and you succesfully passed the skilled immigration sample tests (point test)....then...then... visit Australia and New Zealand, and see if you like the cities...

I recommend you to visit those countries after yo do all the research because it is costly to go over there from USA.

Not many people are rich like the one that posted from Hong Kong.

So don`t go there FIRST, do some research... there are many reliable websites that you can use to get some info about the quality of life there. Lucara, we are both Americans.... I used the CIA because we always look there first...try a different one...big deal...

Good luck.
Well, I'm a Kiwi AND an expat so I'd probably know a bit more than you about this topic. As for being a rich Hong Kong person, I'm flattered but that's a bit of wishful thinking.

Clearly, the OP is not going to jump on the next flight to NZ without finding out if they even qualify to emigrate. That wouldn't be very smart, now would it? Let's assume they have done all their internet research and they will qualify. Then, nothing can substitute actual experience. All the internet research in the world will get you only so far. It's an investment.

I'm unsure as to why someone in Miami feels qualified to provide advice on emigrating to a country on the other side of the world that he/she has clearly never visited.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Well, I'm a Kiwi AND an expat so I'd probably know a bit more than you about this topic.

I'm unsure as to why someone in Miami feels qualified to provide advice on emigrating to a country on the other side of the world that he/she has clearly never visited.
Well said hkgal, I was thinking the very same thing.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 AM

HKgal,

Many young professionals from Miami (USA, and worldwide) are relocating to Australia... there`s been a number of Australian conferences pro skilled migration sponsored by your governement. That`s why you see waves of Asians moving to Australia.

Why are you so upset if I posted a few demographic/economic facts about Australia taken from Wiki and the CIA?

Was that an insult to you?? really...does that bother you?? wow...I can`t picture my Australian co-worker as a rude person...

Last edited by Eduardo983; 05-13-2009 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand