Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:04 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,731,183 times

Advertisements

There was a recent OECD survey on education which said Oz rated quite poorly when it came to teaching the basics: reading, writing, maths, science. Apparently we don't devote as much time to teaching these subjects as many other countries, like Mexico and the Asian countries. I noticed the same with my kids when they went to primary school in Canada. Lots of time spent on all manner of subjects but the basics were left up to the parents to teach or spend money on tutors.

I think this is a common problem in developed countries with curriculums being constantly messed with by political administrators. I have several good friends who are teachers in Oz and Canada and they often express their frustration with dealing with BS mandates from up high which makes teaching more difficult. A new party comes in and they want to put their mark on the education system, i.e., Outcome Based Education, Education Revolutions and other lofty ideas which tie up the teachers' time, and confuse parents and kids.

Meanwhile spelling is going down the toilet, writing skills are becoming a lost art, people are needing calculators for simple sums, and basic science is being forgotten, etc., etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:52 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,334,027 times
Uhhh yeah, well I don't think Mexico can be praised for their education system either.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:02 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
There was a recent OECD survey on education which said Oz rated quite poorly when it came to teaching the basics: reading, writing, maths, science. Apparently we don't devote as much time to teaching these subjects as many other countries, like Mexico and the Asian countries. I noticed the same with my kids when they went to primary school in Canada. Lots of time spent on all manner of subjects but the basics were left up to the parents to teach or spend money on tutors.

I think this is a common problem in developed countries with curriculums being constantly messed with by political administrators. I have several good friends who are teachers in Oz and Canada and they often express their frustration with dealing with BS mandates from up high which makes teaching more difficult. A new party comes in and they want to put their mark on the education system, i.e., Outcome Based Education, Education Revolutions and other lofty ideas which tie up the teachers' time, and confuse parents and kids.

Meanwhile spelling is going down the toilet, writing skills are becoming a lost art, people are needing calculators for simple sums, and basic science is being forgotten, etc., etc.
This is why I asked for their sources. The sources that I found, were surveys done by the Australian government and their data was more in line with what you are stating.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:03 AM

359 posts, read 658,765 times
For what it's worth, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is one of the best radio stations on earth. A bit arty at times, but programs like Dispatches with Rick McKinnes Ray and Vynl Cafe amongst others are great listening.

First discovered it in eighties whilst visiting and now regular listen online in Australia. Something real friendly and polite about it.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manygeese View Post
For what it's worth, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is one of the best radio stations on earth. A bit arty at times, but programs like Dispatches with Rick McKinnes Ray and Vynl Cafe amongst others are great listening.

First discovered it in eighties whilst visiting and now regular listen online in Australia. Something real friendly and polite about it.
Those shows can be heard in the US. So is this the point you are trying to make? Both countries can hear the same show?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 PM

359 posts, read 658,765 times
Not really mini. Canada got into thread via bbq discussion. (I normally just read this forum but got an e mail from city data asking why I didn't post. This was extremely troubling as I had nothing to post so ..... you can work the rest out.)

I do often wonder why I enjoy the cbc so much though. Radio Hong Kong 3 is another favourite.

On topic, the main difference between life in the two countries would be Australia is not much of a world power. We can relax a bit more probably.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:54 PM

There is something about the CBC, manygeese, I agree. Almost something soothing while at the same time educational and insightful. I don't like Australian radio. Only the ABC but many of them on that station come across as almost pompous or something. Can't put my finger on it but I don't get the same feeling as I did with the CBC.

Commercial Aussie radio, on the other hand, some of what I've tried to listen to can be downright idiotic. Early morning radio especially. And to keep with the US/Oz subject line, I prefer US radio to Aussie by far. Driving through the Southwest on our roadtrip, we picked up a lot of different stations - such a choice! - and none of it had the childish buffoonery that I've heard here.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
^ Too right Vichel. Childish buffoonery is a good word to describe it. As the antics of Kyle and Jackie O have attested to the general standard of commercial radio in Australia can be dismal. I admit there are funny moments, but the moments of base idiocy make me wanna switch off. I stay away from Top 40 stations anyway because of the ads and the crappy music, Triple J, public radio etc are much better, although some could do with a dose of humour. Alas, when satellite radio catches on the commercial stations will be in trouble.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Too right Vichel. Childish buffoonery is a good word to describe it. As the antics of Kyle and Jackie O have attested to the general standard of commercial radio in Australia can be dismal..
Made me cringe to hear what that idiot got up to on the air, not once but twice. How stupid do you have to be, to not realise you've crossed the line, far into disgusting territory. And he's not remorseful at all. One of those typical boofheads this country has far too many of. The Footie Show has a lot of them on display too. Baboons. There's humour and then there's that. Whatever you want to call it. But humour it isn't.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Made me cringe to hear what that idiot got up to on the air, not once but twice. How stupid do you have to be, to not realise you've crossed the line, far into disgusting territory. And he's not remorseful at all. One of those typical boofheads this country has far too many of. The Footie Show has a lot of them on display too. Baboons. There's humour and then there's that. Whatever you want to call it. But humour it isn't.
^^ Are the radio programs similar to "Howard Stern?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand