Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:49 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
From my experience and I'm sure others have different experiences, Surfers Paradise was a dud.

The first time I went to Surfers Paradise a few years ago I was a 27 year old single male looking for some action and mostly all I found was Japanese tourists running around with video cameras filming everything.

Surfers to me is a smaller scale version of Orlando and Las Vegas. If you love both of those places then Surfers is for you.

True there were some singles and backpackers around but they were drowned out by all the older folks and tourists. So personally it was a week wasted for me.

I found the Sunshine Coast north of Brisbane much nicer and better.

However if you are looking for nightlife and especially hot chicks, Queenstown New Zealand is the ticket. New Zealand is considered "safer" and easier to get around so that's where all the hot Swedish and Danish backpacker gals go. Queenstown has more adventure oriented activities than "theme park" type setups and there are no shortage of women.

Still being single and a few years older, if I am looking to have a great time, then Queenstown is where I go.

I've traveled all over Australia and to almost every town in New Zealand(large and small) and that is my pick.
What you described doesn't seem like the ticket...I mean Vegas is cool but I'm not feeling the Orlando type scene you described either.

How much is a flight from Sydney to Queenstown, NZ run? I was in Sweden this past summer and loved it! That sounds like my kind of party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 09:11 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
What you described doesn't seem like the ticket...I mean Vegas is cool but I'm not feeling the Orlando type scene you described either.

How much is a flight from Sydney to Queenstown, NZ run? I was in Sweden this past summer and loved it! That sounds like my kind of party.
Trust me on Surfers Paradise lol. Schoolies is similar to spring break and during this week Surfers Paradise is #1 pick among Aussie students. It's not going to be crazy other times of the year, but there will still be plenty of young people and stuff to do, especially anything to do with the ocean.

Do you have a loyalty card with Marriot or Starwood? If not, what is your budget? The locations of those two aren't the greatest.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:09 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
Trust me on Surfers Paradise lol. Schoolies is similar to spring break and during this week Surfers Paradise is #1 pick among Aussie students. It's not going to be crazy other times of the year, but there will still be plenty of young people and stuff to do, especially anything to do with the ocean.

Do you have a loyalty card with Marriot or Starwood? If not, what is your budget? The locations of those two aren't the greatest.
So does this Spring Break/Schoolies take place during the week of November 22nd-29th? If so then that sounds like it will work for us...as long as there is a abundance of nice young women and parties going on we will be satisfied!

My friend has told me some nice things about Perth...anyone want to chime in on that city? He told me we should split our time between Sydney (5 days) and Perth (5 Days)...Does his suggestion hold any weight to what I'm trying to accomplish here?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:32 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,788 times
Yep...

The busiest will be between November 21 to November 29, good fun!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:18 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
Quote:
So does this Spring Break/Schoolies take place during the week of November 22nd-29th? If so then that sounds like it will work for us...as long as there is a abundance of nice young women and parties going on we will be satisfied!

My friend has told me some nice things about Perth...anyone want to chime in on that city? He told me we should split our time between Sydney (5 days) and Perth (5 Days)...Does his suggestion hold any weight to what I'm trying to accomplish here?
Actually I wouldn't hop around too much. Australia is 3/4 the size of the continental USA. The first day you will get there early in the morning and probably tired from the long travel. I'd write that day off for starters. It always takes me a shower and a nap in a flat bed before I feel right again.

Traveling out to Perth from Sydney is like flying from New York City to Los Angeles and then you have to come back again.

With your limited time frame I'd find a place and stick with it otherwise you'll burn up a bunch of time in travel. Maybe travel out to other areas in the region or whatever or maybe to a place that doesn't require a long flight.

With schoolies, I have not been, but plenty of my aussie friends have and be aware much of it is the age 16-18 year old crowd, which by the time I was in my late 20's that wasn't my scene.

With Surfers Paradise and other resort towns and cities down under, one thing I recommend is serviced apartments/condos. Most of the ones I rent out for a week end up way cheaper than a hotel and I have my own balcony, living room, kitchen and washer/dryer. I like it better cause I feel more at home and I don't have a maid barging in at 8 AM.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:10 AM

1,396 posts, read 3,443,518 times
Quote:
Schoolies are 16 to 18 year olds. You're better off staying in Sydney, see the sights and pickup some hookers.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteMan View Post
Schoolies are 16 to 18 year olds. You're better off staying in Sydney, see the sights and pickup some hookers.
I'd agree.

If one is looking to get drunk and "party" you can do that in any Australian city. Even Canberra which 9 out of 10 Australians will tell you how terribly boring it is, has a significant population of educated, attractive women aged 25-35 and I've had plenty of fun there.

However travel for me is more about different experiences and the sights not to "party".

Old 10-29-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
Yep...

The busiest will be between November 21 to November 29, good fun!
Dude, sounds like this isn't the time to go If I'm trying to be around more people my age 18-29 if a whole bunch of teenie boppers are going to be around! Thanks for the suggestion though but I think your trying to get me set up...lol

When is the college spring break in Sydney? Does it happen at the same time but just in a different location than Surfers Paradise?

I would like to find a cool weekend beach scene besides Sydney (That contrasts Sydney) to visit for 4 days from November 26-30 that has great nightlife/activities and a abundance of young women. Would any areas along the Gold Coast or elsewhere fit that description for this time of year?

Would I just be better off spending the whole time in Sydney? Is there any close destination where people from Sydney take weekend trips outside of the city to enjoy the beach and nightlife that isn't too distant?

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 10-29-2009 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Dude, sounds like this isn't the time to go If I'm trying to be around more people my age 18-29 if a whole bunch of teenie boppers are going to be around! Thanks for the suggestion though but I think your trying to get me set up...lol

When is the college spring break in Sydney? Does it happen at the same time but just in a different location than Surfers Paradise?

I would like to find a cool weekend beach scene besides Sydney (That contrasts Sydney) to visit for 4 days from November 26-30 that has great nightlife/activities and a abundance of young women. Would any areas along the Gold Coast or elsewhere fit that description for this time of year?

Would I just be better off spending the whole time in Sydney? Is there any close destination where people from Sydney take weekend trips outside of the city to enjoy the beach and nightlife that isn't too distant?
"Spring Break" isn't really a big deal like it is in the USA and uni life is a bit different in Australia as most students live at home or in a flat and "dorm life" and "frat houses" don't really exist to the extent they do in the USA. Australia doesn't really have the bangin' Panama City Beach or Cancun type nightlife like what I think you're looking for.

Australia is a long distance for people to travel so most of the 18-35 year old set that are there from outside the country are backpackers or other long term travelers, so the resort towns in the summer do not have the masses of millions of people that you would find at spring break in florida.

Sydney I think is large enough for you to explore in a week and there are plenty of singles in Sydney due to the man drought. A lot of men in Australia go to the country or outback for good jobs and also in Sydney there are tons of gay men, so hence there are a lot of women looking for a man.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:33 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:

We don't really have such a thing as 'Spring break' here. I have no idea when the uni breaks are in NSW.

That's a shame, as much as the GC is bashed I think it's still worth visiting. I would avoid schoolies like the plague (although certain people PREFER to go during that time, go figure).

I think you can still spend ten very enjoyable days staying in Sydney and still feel like you haven't seen enough. I would still take at least one over-nighter trip: a few options are the Blue Mountains, perhaps Northern beaches area, Central coast area (perhaps Lake Macquarie), Goulburn or Canberra. If you want nightlife you'll find that in the Sydney area, Darling Harbour and Kings Cross are the best for clubs. There are still some secluded beaches in Sydney like Royal National Park. When will you return to Oz? Melbourne is really nice, but probably not as essential an Oz experience as Sydney (it's kinda similar to say Seattle or Vancouver). So I would say outside Sydney try and see Canberra (our capital, after all), and if you have time maybe some of north coastal NSW. If you can go at another time go to the GC for about 4-5 days.

Last edited by Trimac20; 10-29-2009 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand