Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:05 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,828,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How does that work? Maybe you're imagining, lol.
No,
but I have (or had? ) a nerve disorder that works by sensing the temperature of the air at my skin surface
to decide whether or not to anticipate hypothermia and "protect me" from that by cutting off most of my bloodflow to extremities.

Tilting my head back to get some midday winter sun up my nose, it will help keep my nose from stinging easily in the cold for a few days;
as if the air were maybe 5-10 C warmer. After the second day the warming-sensation starts to go away, fading to almost nothing by the 4th day.

Reddening of the skin (or any reaction to the sun?) brings blood to the surface of the skin, so this is how I think it warms me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 04:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,733,882 times
Vitamin D will be in moderate amounts in most balanced diets, esp including some dairy food products, even for someone who is lactose intolerant like me.
I have only read about this condition in "dungeon survivors"", like the Josef Fritzl clan and Natascha Kampusch.
I agree a small amount of sun can be beneficial, and it does enhance positive mood - through defined biochemical pathways.
Those most at risk of skin cancer are fair complexion, red hair and/or from Scottish or Irish descent.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:12 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,352,892 times
Our (Aussie) sun is very dangerous. If you want to get a tan - make sure you cover up and put plenty of slip - slop on and don't spend too long outdoors in the sun. One hour or less per day is enough. The UV rays are very high here in summer & one can get burnt very quickly. Can get naturally tanned by the end of October/beginning of November if sunny skies prevail.

I've seen many backpackers from northern Europe/UK get badly burnt. They tend to, upon arriving in Australia, go straight to the beach with no sun protection on at all & sunbathe all day, only to end up at the end of the day walking around looking like red lobsters, covered in blisters/peeling skin and wincing in pain - not a very pretty sight at all.

I've had melanoma twice at the age of 21 & 23, had operations to have them removed. Spent a lot of time at beaches during my childhood. Now I regret it as skin ages more quickly and am covered with numerous brown moles. Constantly checking for abnormal growths. When I go to the beach, I cover up a lot more in the summer than during winter/spring.

I don't mean to sound negative but many outsiders are not totally aware of how much damage our sun can do.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:28 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,904,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
How often are you outside?
I can get fairly-dark right here in Toronto (Apr-Sep) if I want to.
In fact it's amazing how much UV you can pick up in 2-3 hrs in March or October here imho.
(relative to how weak one might expect Toronto's sun to be)

Southern hemisphere summer sun seems to be as strong as it'd be 10 degrees closer to the equator in North America.
So assuming a sunny day, Sydney in summer at the 34 S parallel would be like 24 N in their summer (Havana Cuba, Bahamas).
Even Melbourne at 38 S would have central Florida-like summer UV levels on a clear day.
You do understand that Melbourne gets no sunshine right?

Old 04-30-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Especially coming from Vancouver

Although I do notice Melbournites and Victorians in general are generally paler than Sydnersiders, Queenslanders and Sandgropers (notice how the West Aussie footy players are tanned in comparison?).
No surprises there, as Sydney, Queensland and Perf are all exponetially sunnier than the worlds cloudiest place Melbourne.

@krappyquatsio move to Melbourne, no risk of Melanomas here.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:16 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,733,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
No surprises there, as Sydney, Queensland and Perf are all exponetially sunnier than the worlds cloudiest place Melbourne.

@krappyquatsio move to Melbourne, no risk of Melanomas here.
Especially Perf. I'm still amazed at the amount of sunshine we get. No need to lay out and roast. Just hanging up the washing, or walking the dog gets you a tan.

Melbourne sounds like Vancouver when it comes to sun. MIA.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:18 AM

Therefore I hate Perffff. Sometimes I hear of Perfffffoids complaining about cloudy weather. What a load of crap, Perfff doesn't have clouds FFS!!! Those pansy Perfheads should try Melbourne, then they'd have a reason to sook and whine for their 6 month longth cloudless summers

Too bad its isolated from Australia.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,733,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Therefore I hate Perffff. Sometimes I hear of Perfffffoids complaining about cloudy weather. What a load of crap, Perfff doesn't have clouds FFS!!! Those pansy Perfheads should try Melbourne, then they'd have a reason to sook and whine for their 6 month longth cloudless summers

Too bad its isolated from Australia.
There's obviously a good reason they live in Perth and not Melbourne.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:19 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,262,782 times
Was doing some analysis a few weeks ago on Australia's main cities's weather over the last 12 months (I am developing an internal training exercise so am using weather data as an example).

From memory I think Perth only had around 5-7 days all year where the sun didn't make an appearance. Comparatively, Sydney had around 20-25 such days. That is why I would find Perth's climate attractive!

Old 04-30-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
There's obviously a good reason they live in Perth and not Melbourne.
And I guess that's also why they are a bunch of pretentious snobby nosed morons when it comes to the weather. On the nazi weather forums, the way they go on about their weather you'd think they live in Phoenix or Sharm el Sheik.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand