Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
We get it. You don't understand F1, so just drop it.
You know I started this thread because I thought some F1 and NASCAR fans would enjoy watching two of the best drivers in the world play in each others cars.

Never once did I take a swipe at the F1 driver as a matter of fact I thought he was a pretty nice guy along with be a great driver.

The first thing you did was take a swipe at the NASCAR cup car.

Your post,
Btw, I watched this the other night and thought the announcers comparision of the two cars was funny. They said comparing a NASCAR to a F1 car going around Watkins Glen would be about the same as comparing a minivan to a Corvette.

Typical Putz. no not the announcer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You know I started this thread because I thought some F1 and NASCAR fans would enjoy watching two of the best drivers in the world play in each others cars.

Never once did I take a swipe at the F1 driver as a matter of fact I thought he was a pretty nice guy along with be a great driver.

The first thing you did was take a swipe at the NASCAR cup car.

Your post,
Btw, I watched this the other night and thought the announcers comparision of the two cars was funny. They said comparing a NASCAR to a F1 car going around Watkins Glen would be about the same as comparing a minivan to a Corvette.

Typical Putz. no not the announcer.
Ummm, how is repeating what the announcer (the NASCAR announcer in fact) says taking a swipe at the cup car? I just thought their analogy of the cars differences was funny. So sorry that you thought I was making fun of your precious wittle cup car.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:07 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Ummm, how is repeating what the announcer (the NASCAR announcer in fact) says taking a swipe at the cup car? I just thought their analogy of the cars differences was funny. So sorry that you thought I was making fun of your precious wittle cup car.
HA HA HA Precious wittle cup car. Good one.

But at least it is a car and not just an oversized go-kart.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
But at least it is a car and not just an oversized go-kart.
So a car has to have fenders before it is considered a car? I would argue that a Nascar is no closer to an actual car than an F1 car. At least technology used in F1 trickles down to actual production cars.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
Random fun fact- the camera on the F1 car is the 360 onboard we use on the IndyCar series and the F1 guys welded a plate to attach it.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:16 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
So a car has to have fenders before it is considered a car? I would argue that a Nascar is no closer to an actual car than an F1 car. At least technology used in F1 trickles down to actual production cars.
Huh? have you ever looked at both cars? NASCAR started out as basically stock vehicles, and although the features have advanced it's still loosely based on production vehicles, inside and out. They use a 100+ year old engine design, for instance. F1 began as a technology and testing platform, and with few exceptions shares little with anything but the highest end production vehicles.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Huh? have you ever looked at both cars? NASCAR started out as basically stock vehicles, and although the features have advanced it's still loosely based on production vehicles, inside and out. They use a 100+ year old engine design, for instance. F1 began as a technology and testing platform, and with few exceptions shares little with anything but the highest end production vehicles.
I think most would agree that F1 is a demonstration of technical expertise while NASCAR is a demonstration of car control expertise.

While one shows off who can spend the most money on gadgets and do dads the others shows off who can better drive a car with undersized tires, to little brakes, with a modified passenger car engine for motivation.

F1 appeals to the upper crust Europeans while NASCAR appeals to us Red neck Americans.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Umm, no. The only thing your Impala shares with Juniors Impala is a sticker that says Impala. (Those are actually even different). NASCAR started out using stock cars for racing but the cars used today have nothing in common with the cars sold at your local dealership.

And sure only high end production vehicles have the latest F1 technology but everyday cars have benefitted from past F1 advances. It just takes a few years to become affordable.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:10 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Umm, no. The only thing your Impala shares with Juniors Impala is a sticker that says Impala. (Those are actually even different). NASCAR started out using stock cars for racing but the cars used today have nothing in common with the cars sold at your local dealership.

And sure only high end production vehicles have the latest F1 technology but everyday cars have benefitted from past F1 advances. It just takes a few years to become affordable.
I'm sorry, but I can't respond again to your whole position that F1 cars are closer to real cars (though they don't even claim to represent real cars) than NASCAR vehicles are. It's not even a serious discussion.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I can't respond again to your whole position that F1 cars are closer to real cars (though they don't even claim to represent real cars) than NASCAR vehicles are. It's not even a serious discussion.
I'm sorry that you lack reading comprehension skills.
I never said F1 cars are closer to real cars. All I said was that a Nascar is no closer to an actual car than a F1 car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing