Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:17 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times

Advertisements

What about eliminating multi-car teams?

And for the record I support elminating the top 35 rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
What about eliminating multi-car teams?
Just like the "old days" each owner has just one team not affiliated with any other team.

You either build your own cars or buy them from a chassis builder.
You build your own engines that you buy directly from the manufacturer.

Ain't never gonna happen but it would bring back more competition.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
i don't mind multi-car teams but I didn't like the trend a few years ago when Roush was running 6 cars. Nascar nipped that back to 4 I would prefer them to go as low as 2 but at least they can't go above the 4 now.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
i don't mind multi-car teams but I didn't like the trend a few years ago when Roush was running 6 cars. Nascar nipped that back to 4 I would prefer them to go as low as 2 but at least they can't go above the 4 now.
Yeah, and now you have "partnerships" between different teams. Hendrick officially has 4 cars, but also an extended family in Stewart/Newman and engines for others I believe.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Needs some right turns.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:11 AM

890 posts, read 1,850,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Needs some right turns.
You're getting them this weekend.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:15 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Just like the "old days" each owner has just one team not affiliated with any other team.

You either build your own cars or buy them from a chassis builder.
You build your own engines that you buy directly from the manufacturer.

Ain't never gonna happen but it would bring back more competition.
Good post and I agree. I'm not a big fan of the "chase" either so I would add that to my wish list! But that is all this is--a wish list! I don't think they can turn back the hands of time. I just hope they get a grip or as "stripes" said they will lose their original fan base and that is about all they have right now! The multi-car teams was the beginning of several bad ideas in my opinion. Like the big box stores running out all the small ma & pa stores! Not sure if they did it for progress or greed??

Old 06-22-2012, 08:09 AM

468 posts, read 827,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Good post and I agree. I'm not a big fan of the "chase" either so I would add that to my wish list! But that is all this is--a wish list! I don't think they can turn back the hands of time. I just hope they get a grip or as "stripes" said they will lose their original fan base and that is about all they have right now! The multi-car teams was the beginning of several bad ideas in my opinion. Like the big box stores running out all the small ma & pa stores! Not sure if they did it for progress or greed??
Too late!

They lost a lot of their original fan base because of these changes. They catered to the "new" fan which many of them were part of the short attention span crowd. They were fans for a few years and then lost interest and moved on to some other sport. NASCAR happened to be the hot item at the time for them to jump on.

NASCAR abandoned good racing for the sake of making more money. They also had to cater to the politically correct crowd to try to get more new fans into the sport.

The things that stand out in my mind that turned off the loyal old time fan were the Chase, taking away the Southern 500 from Darlington on labor day, the inconsistent penalties issued to drivers and teams, the loss of some of the outstanding short tracks on the circuit and giving more races to the same tired mile and half tracks that have made racing boring. Couple that with the generic COT car and NASCAR totally gave up its identity for the sake of more money.

NASCAR will never be the same. I said back in '06 that it was on its downward spiral in popularity and I was mocked by others for my opinion.

No, I don't believe that NASCAR will ever return to its glory days. While the old time fans were protesting the changes, Brian France was too busy visiting the bank and genuflecting in front of the vault.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:41 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
I am a big fan of the chase but like anything, I think it can be improved. I don't think enough emphasis is placed on winning, especially winning a chase race. I would much prefer to see the Chase Champion win 2 races during the chase and the other 8 he was outside the top 25 vs a Chase Champion not winning a chase race yet finishing top 10 all chase races..

The first rule I would implement would be in order to qualify for the Chase, you have to win a race and in order to qualify for the Cup Championship, you have to win a Chase race. That way, the Champion would have had to win at least 2 races, one during the 'Regular' season and 1 during the Chase. And there should be NO POINTS awarded to drivers outside the top 20 or 25 of a race. There is nothing I hate more than a car with no fenders out making laps for points only to bring out a late race caution...

Old 06-25-2012, 06:29 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
Too late!

They lost a lot of their original fan base because of these changes. They catered to the "new" fan which many of them were part of the short attention span crowd. They were fans for a few years and then lost interest and moved on to some other sport. NASCAR happened to be the hot item at the time for them to jump on.

NASCAR abandoned good racing for the sake of making more money. They also had to cater to the politically correct crowd to try to get more new fans into the sport.

The things that stand out in my mind that turned off the loyal old time fan were the Chase, taking away the Southern 500 from Darlington on labor day, the inconsistent penalties issued to drivers and teams, the loss of some of the outstanding short tracks on the circuit and giving more races to the same tired mile and half tracks that have made racing boring. Couple that with the generic COT car and NASCAR totally gave up its identity for the sake of more money.

NASCAR will never be the same. I said back in '06 that it was on its downward spiral in popularity and I was mocked by others for my opinion.

No, I don't believe that NASCAR will ever return to its glory days. While the old time fans were protesting the changes, Brian France was too busy visiting the bank and genuflecting in front of the vault.
Very good post and I have to agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing