Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:30 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times

Advertisements

I was one of the die hard old timer fan that some have writen about, but I've lost interest. I attended my first Daytona 500 in 1968. Infield admission was $5.00 Stock cars were stock cars. Not fiber parts on a tube frame. There were rules but not the rule book now that is as thick as the U.S. Tax Code. You could look at a car and tell the make. They didn't have 5 caution laps because there was a hot dog wrapper on the track. They didn't have phoney cautions so someone could get a lap back. Or radar guns for pit lane speeding. There were no restrictor plates.
I've driven on and watched many sports car races at Watkins Glen using the long course [even before the chicane was constructed] but for some reason Nascar has to use the short track.
I was going to go to the last Daytona 500 until I saw that a seat cost $140, plus a tank of gas, food and I live near enough to not need lodging. Hugh difference in prices between the Daytona 24 and Daytona 500
Don't go to many races anymore. Same old same old.
TV coverage- Watched every Sunday for decades on every channel that covered NASCAR, even to miss a Buc or Dolphin game. But the last few seasons not so much. And it's because of the announcers, booth commentators, track side people. First I stopped watching Fox because I got tired of Waltrip but mostly because of Larry McReynolds. Don't know why but Fox and Speed are fixated and obsessed with that guy. He is everywhere on every Nascar related program. I try to watch coverage on TNT. Can only take so much of Petty but then I hear 'so, what's going on LARRY?' Immediate channel change and I don't care who won the race.
So now I've been watching the ROLEX and Continental Tire sports car series on Speed.
And whoever said NFL wasn't suffering from less people in the stands, not true. Last season, all Bucs home games were blacked out. Average crowd was 25,000 in a 64,000 seat stadium. MLB- The Rays are lucky to have 10,000 fans show up for a game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 06:29 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I was one of the die hard old timer fan that some have writen about, but I've lost interest. I attended my first Daytona 500 in 1968. Infield admission was $5.00 Stock cars were stock cars. Not fiber parts on a tube frame. There were rules but not the rule book now that is as thick as the U.S. Tax Code. You could look at a car and tell the make. They didn't have 5 caution laps because there was a hot dog wrapper on the track. They didn't have phoney cautions so someone could get a lap back. Or radar guns for pit lane speeding. There were no restrictor plates.
I've driven on and watched many sports car races at Watkins Glen using the long course [even before the chicane was constructed] but for some reason Nascar has to use the short track.
I was going to go to the last Daytona 500 until I saw that a seat cost $140, plus a tank of gas, food and I live near enough to not need lodging. Hugh difference in prices between the Daytona 24 and Daytona 500
TV coverage- Watched every Sunday for decades on every channel that covered NASCAR, even to miss a Buc or Dolphin game. But the last few seasons not so much. And it's because of the announcers, booth commentators, track side people. First I stopped watching Fox because I got tired of Waltrip but mostly because of Larry McReynolds. Don't know why but Fox and Speed are fixated and obsessed with that guy. He is everywhere on every Nascar related program. I try to watch coverage on TNT. Can only take so much of Petty but then I hear 'so, what's going on LARRY?' Immediate channel change and I don't care who won the race.
So now I've been watching the ROLEX and Continental Tire sports car series on Speed.
And whoever said NFL wasn't suffering from less people in the stands, not true. Last season, all Bucs home games were blacked out. Average crowd was 25,000 in a 64,000 seat stadium. MLB- The Rays are lucky to have 10,000 fans show up for a game.
You have said a lot of what I have been thinking. Sad thing is I don't see any improvment in the makings so I have to wonder if NASCAR is just going to keep going down the tubes??? I'm sure there will always be a percentage of viewers who will be faithful watchers but I think their "hay-day" is on the way out. And as always--this is just my opinion!

Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
First I stopped watching Fox because I got tired of Waltrip but mostly because of Larry McReynolds. Don't know why but Fox and Speed are fixated and obsessed with that guy. He is everywhere on every Nascar related program. I try to watch coverage on TNT. Can only take so much of Petty but then I hear 'so, what's going on LARRY?' Immediate channel change and I don't care who won the race.
I don't really mind McReynolds but I will admit he does have the absolute best command of NC Redneck speak.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:

The average attendance for the Bucs last season was over 56,000. The NFL is still the most popular sports league in this country, regardless of the fact that some teams don't sellout their home games. The important markets either sellout all of their home games, or sell more than 95% of the tickets. Tampa is not one of these markets.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I don't really mind McReynolds but I will admit he does have the absolute best command of NC Redneck speak.
He is very knowledgeable, but damn I think he needs to pee in a cup.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:50 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The average attendance for the Bucs last season was over 56,000. The NFL is still the most popular sports league in this country, regardless of the fact that some teams don't sellout their home games. The important markets either sellout all of their home games, or sell more than 95% of the tickets. Tampa is not one of these markets.

really? don't believe the major sports leagues trumped-up numbers on attendance.

they all embellish, it's been going on for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing