Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:35 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
But what's the solution? The plates are never gonna come off. No insurer in their right mind would write a liability policy for that. The odds of a car flying into the stands and killing hundreds of spectators is almost a guaranteed inevitability.
That's real easy a gear rule that keeps the speeds down, if the drivers think they can run all day at 10,000 rpms at 195 mph with an unrestriced engine they ain't gonna finish many races.

They run unrestricted at Charlotte at over 190, unrestricted at Michigan at near 200 the only thing keeping the speeds down are the rpms at which they run. The correct gear will limit the speeds.

The reason for the restrictor plates was settled years ago so it's time to get back to real racing.

It's not rocket science it's just math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Quote:
Yeah I reacted rashly, but in my defense look at all the stupid crap Michael Waltrip's done the last 3-4 years (wrecked himself coming out of the pits, dumped cars he was pushing during the tandem racing) and combine that with the fact he doesn't have much talent to begin with and it's easy to reach the same conclusion. If it weren't for him winning a couple of plate races for a team that at the time had a distinct competitive advantage, he'd be one of the biggest jokes of NASCAR.
mega crap... When some one wrecks Tony, he and his fans do not bite their tongues calling the driving everything under the sun but when its Tony's fault. oh well, the others drivers still sux.. geez.. get a grip! Tony screwed up big time and ruined quite a few drivers day.. including himself. call a spade a spade and stop changing the subject.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
That's real easy a gear rule that keeps the speeds down, if the drivers think they can run all day at 10,000 rpms at 195 mph with an unrestriced engine they ain't gonna finish many races.

They run unrestricted at Charlotte at over 190, unrestricted at Michigan at near 200 the only thing keeping the speeds down are the rpms at which they run. The correct gear will limit the speeds.

The reason for the restrictor plates was settled years ago so it's time to get back to real racing.

It's not rocket science it's just math.
absolutely right. that is the reason i have advocated using a 4.56 gear at daytona and talladega instead of restrictor plates. they can also take away the large spoilers the teams use, and give them ones from the early 70s, aka a 2" rear spoiler, and a 2 1/2" half width front spoiler. that way the drivers have to actually drive the cars again at those tracks rather than just stand on the throttle the whole way around.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
Quote:
Retire already.
Quote:
Yeah I reacted rashly, but in my defense look at all the stupid crap Michael Waltrip's done the last 3-4 years (wrecked himself coming out of the pits, dumped cars he was pushing during the tandem racing) and combine that with the fact he doesn't have much talent to begin with and it's easy to reach the same conclusion. If it weren't for him winning a couple of plate races for a team that at the time had a distinct competitive advantage, he'd be one of the biggest jokes of NASCAR.
Yeah? Who do you think would have won if Stewart hadn't caused the pileup?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Tony Smoked himself, but hey, it is the last lap and he is trying to block 3 lanes of traffic to maintain the lead. he blocked two late, coming down on Waltrip. (Ironically, if a young driver had done that, Smoke would have been blasting him in the post race).

I would not shed a tear if MW retired. However, I cannot fault him here.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:40 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Yeah? Who do you think would have won if Stewart hadn't caused the pileup?
How much skill is required to win a plate race again? About 1% of what's required to win at a place like Darlington or Bristol? Right up Mikey's alley then, so him.

I do not understand why Mikey gets a free pass for being a miserable failure as a driver. Never won a championship, never finished in the Top 10 in points, and took 15 years to win his first race yet he's saluted as some sort of folk hero. If his name were Michael Smith he wouldn't have made it past 1995.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
mega crap... When some one wrecks Tony, he and his fans do not bite their tongues calling the driving everything under the sun but when its Tony's fault. oh well, the others drivers still sux.. geez.. get a grip! Tony screwed up big time and ruined quite a few drivers day.. including himself. call a spade a spade and stop changing the subject.
If it had been Regan Smith I'd have said the same thing, and yeah, Mikey does suck as a driver.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:32 PM

279 posts, read 854,521 times
Quote:
I do not understand why Mikey gets a free pass for being a miserable failure as a driver. Never won a championship, never finished in the Top 10 in points, and took 15 years to win his first race yet he's saluted as some sort of folk hero. If his name were Michael Smith he wouldn't have made it past 1995.
MW gets alot of fame, because of his father who still is more popular then him (but slightly more annoying)

Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
Quote:
How much skill is required to win a plate race again? About 1% of what's required to win at a place like Darlington or Bristol? Right up Mikey's alley then, so him.

Change the date and you could say the same thing about a guy whose name ends with Jr.

Using your logic, better than half the field should just stay at the house on race day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspeedbullet View Post
MW gets alot of fame, because of his father who still is more popular then him (but slightly more annoying)
HUH?

His father has been dead for a number of years. Think you must mean his brother, who is actually a pretty nice guy.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Change the date and you could say the same thing about a guy whose name ends with Jr.

Using your logic, better than half the field should just stay at the house on race day.
Really? I know Junior's not his dad, but he does have 2 Busch series championships, 19 Sprint Cup wins, and he's finished in the Top 10 in points 5 times in 12 full seasons. His stats are light years ahead of the likes of Kyle Petty and Mikey. The only father-son/sibling combos I can think of with better numbers are Lee/Richard Petty, Buck/Buddy Baker, and Bobby/Davey Allison. Why not bag on Kyle Petty for not being his dad?

I don't think half the field should stay at home, but to vaunt Mikey to upper-echelon status because he won a couple of restrictor plate 500s is ridiculous. The Daytona 500 is a special race, but it's not a challenging race to win. I might tip my cap in that direction if NASCAR held ONE Sprint Cup race at Daytona a la Indy, but there are 9 stock car/truck series races at Daytona every year (2x qualifiers, shootout, 500, 400, 2x Nationwide, truck series, ARCA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing