Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I'd also like to see the "vintage race of the week" - old footage of races, particularly from the 60s and 70s, particularly Trans-Am at some of the defunct tracks. Our first purpose-built race car was a Datsun 510 and Datsun/Nissan used to have a promo (VHS, lol) about John Morton's first year racing it which was fun to watch. I know they've got old F1 footage as well, I remember it on Wide World Of Sports.
I remember sitting thru an hour and twenty minutes of Sumo Wrestling and Tiddly Winks(REALLY!) to see ten minutes of the Monaco GP

Some old CanAm footage would be pretty cool too.

My favorites are the machines built in the period between the World Wars, race cars, boats, and airplanes. The pace of development in that era was fierce yet so many of the designs seem to owe as much to art as to science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd actually like to see a little more coverage of vintage racing in Europe, there's one every other year in Monaco and LeMans and I believe Spa host vintage events. I love the old race cars and in the videos I've seen of Monaco they were tossing these priceless old cars around between the Armco as if they'd just picked them up the rental counter at the airport.
That would be awesome.
Would even like to see some of the Super Touring car races.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:03 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,362,527 times
Haven't watched the race yet, but qualifying was interesting. Perez out qualified Button (not sure if that's really surprising). I felt bad for Webber, he seemed pretty annoyed. Hamilton, Vettel and Grojean were incredibly fast. I loved the radio transmission with Hamilton at the end of Q3, he was very surprised lol.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Haven't watched the race yet, but qualifying was interesting. Perez out qualified Button (not sure if that's really surprising). I felt bad for Webber, he seemed pretty annoyed. Hamilton, Vettel and Grojean were incredibly fast. I loved the radio transmission with Hamilton at the end of Q3, he was very surprised lol.
I totally forgot to set my DVR for the practice and qualifying sessions.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:27 PM

Just got done watching the race and I thought it was pretty good. Not the most exciting.

Great drive by Hamilton! He owned that race and it was definitely a well deserved victory. And GOO KIMI!! Nice drive by the Iceman too and good to see him with a good result and on the podium again.

Also very good drives by Webber and Grosjean. Would have been nice to see where Grosjean would have finished if it were not for the drive through penalty and precautionary pit-stop.

Was strange to see Rosberg so far back though and too bad about his retirement.
Seems Force India's luck also has not changed. Bit of a shame for them.
Also seems Mclaren has not got over their hump. Not bad results though.

Some other thoughts, nice to see Williams got their first point.
And really good to see there were no real tyre issues given the new specifications.
Seems there may not be another break-in/maturity period.
Well, maybe for Ferrari. Seems their car doesn't love them too much.

During F1 extra, it was mentioned that Webber's ride is most likely going to Daniel Ricciardo. Soundsed like its already been confirmed.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:28 PM

Nect race weekend is 23rd, 24th and 25th of August.

Kimi has 4 or 5 wins at this track. So hopefully it will be another good result for him here.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:08 PM

108 posts, read 259,746 times
It was an ok race but this track is not known for overtaking its hard to overtake there but great drive by Hamilton, im so glad Vettel was stuck behind Button for 12 laps that surely helped because no way is that Mercedes up to the level of the RB.

What a surprise Grosjean crashes again got a drive through penalty still think this guy is quite useless but a stella drive from Kimi to keep again the faster RB behind and grab 2nd.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyhate View Post
It was an ok race but this track is not known for overtaking its hard to overtake there but great drive by Hamilton, im so glad Vettel was stuck behind Button for 12 laps that surely helped because no way is that Mercedes up to the level of the RB.

What a surprise Grosjean crashes again got a drive through penalty still think this guy is quite useless but a stella drive from Kimi to keep again the faster RB behind and grab 2nd.
Grosjean was basically owning Kimi this weekend.

The penalty was very harsh, he didn't leave the track until he was ahead of Massa and then again he did it to avoid a collision. They would not have handed that penalty to Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton or Raikkonen, I'm sure.

He got 20 seconds for the one on Button as well, that one is more debatable, but frankly I think they are obsessed with punishing someone every time cars touch, no matter how mildly and inconsequential.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 AM

108 posts, read 259,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post

The penalty was very harsh, he didn't leave the track until he was ahead of Massa and then again he did it to avoid a collision. They would not have handed that penalty to Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton or Raikkonen, I'm sure.

He got 20 seconds for the one on Button as well, that one is more debatable, but frankly I think they are obsessed with punishing someone every time cars touch, no matter how mildly and inconsequential.
This was the weekend for Grojean to shine and prove he is worthy of his seat at Lotus which imo he isn't good enough. Kimi has pretty much owned Grojean all season forget about qualifying its the race day that counts and you just wouldn't see Raikkonen doing the same mistakes hence the huge difference in points and why he is the team no.1 driver.

The one on Button was fully Grojeans fault, Button had the racing line so he had track position you can see Grojean moving left and hitting Button.

Everytime I see Grojean in action I am always waiting for him to crash I honestly thought it would be Vettel since he was behind him for so long, its a case of when will Grojean crash next and to who.

I will give Grojean some credit hes better than last year that's for sure but for me he doesn't show that hes a good quality driver.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post

Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing