Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:04 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times

Advertisements

If the trend continues it wouldn't surprise me to see Havana on a program in the future, a lot of $$$ will be up for grabs in Cuba when we end some of our silly policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
NASCAR has been a hot topic here in Denver the past 5 years. In that time, Pikes Peak International Raceway has been bought and sold by a NASCAR company. The track has since reopened, but is not able to host spectator events due to the contract that was signed. Basically, NASCAR wanted PPIR out of the picture so that they could pursue a Denver-based track - something that the PPIR ownership fought tooth and nail against, successfully, for years. So NASCAR effectively bought them out. PPIR is now only open for club racing events. Couple that with the fact that the Champ Car series is no longer stopping in downtown Denver, and there are no longer any major motorsports events in the Denver area that could be seen as a conflict.

Now it's just a matter of getting some land close enough to Denver that can be used to build the track. And local government is doing its part to fasttrack the process by proposing bills that would provide incentives for the project:
Colorado House OKs incentives for NASCAR track - Denver Business Journal:

I'd say there's a pretty good chance that a track will be built here in the next 5 years. Denver wants more tourism and NASCAR has shown they want a track here.
It's a shame the way PPIR was treated. It was a nice facility, and I had the privilege of attending the last major event there before it was (effectively) shut down. That event hosted both Southwest Tour and Busch series races, along with a Tracy Lawrence concert, back in 2005, if I remember correctly. The biggest drawback to the event that day was the heat. I didn't stay to watch the finish of the Busch race because my kids were complaining about being in the sun. We ended up going back to the hotel to watch it on TV, and later heading to the swimming pool to cool off. We also missed the concert, which I would have liked to have seen.

The main reason we were there, though, was the Southwest Tour race that a friend of mine was competing in. He had engine trouble about halfway through the race and didn't finish. Oh well, it was still a great race to attend, since it was the last one held there, even though we didn't know that at the time. He also raced a week later at CNS, so we had a nice vacation in Wyoming and South Dakota in between the races.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
And the Great Northwest.
They already tried that, and the people said hell no.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:17 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,867,663 times
Kentucky will get a Cup race, it's just a matter of time. Atlanta will probably lose one date, but it really should come from Pocono or New Hampshire. Just my opinion.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,543,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
It's a shame the way PPIR was treated. It was a nice facility, and I had the privilege of attending the last major event there before it was (effectively) shut down. That event hosted both Southwest Tour and Busch series races, along with a Tracy Lawrence concert, back in 2005, if I remember correctly. The biggest drawback to the event that day was the heat. I didn't stay to watch the finish of the Busch race because my kids were complaining about being in the sun. We ended up going back to the hotel to watch it on TV, and later heading to the swimming pool to cool off. We also missed the concert, which I would have liked to have seen.

The main reason we were there, though, was the Southwest Tour race that a friend of mine was competing in. He had engine trouble about halfway through the race and didn't finish. Oh well, it was still a great race to attend, since it was the last one held there, even though we didn't know that at the time. He also raced a week later at CNS, so we had a nice vacation in Wyoming and South Dakota in between the races.
PPIR's biggest issue was its location in regards to Denver. Traffic from Denver was absolutely horrible. It was too far from Denver and NASCAR wants Denver as its local hub for spectators, as opposed to Colorado Springs. I think Denver would be a perfect destination for Cup.

I think the owners were happy with being bought out. I think they made out well. It's a really nice club track now, even if the road course portion is fairly small.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:10 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,909,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Kentucky will get a Cup race, it's just a matter of time. Atlanta will probably lose one date, but it really should come from Pocono or New Hampshire. Just my opinion.
Kentucky will definitely get the date once they get that sack of garbage that built the track out of the lawsuit business.

I used to be a big Loudoun hater, but that track really works with the COT car. They should keep the two dates.

Pocono should keep two dates. They need to allow the drivers to shift there again and the racing will be better. Plus it's the first track I used to go to for both races each year in the late 70's / early 80's. It's a sentimental favorite!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 AM

551 posts, read 855,582 times
There are good things about Pocono, but one race there is enough. Kentucky would be a great addition.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:35 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
In the past 5 years or so, there has been some talk around here of building a Nascar capable speedway somewhere north of the border in Southern Ontario, with the hope of attracting a Nascar race. It hasn't happened yet, but I am sure the Toronto market has some appeal to Nascar. 4th larges metro area in North America, plus a Canadian race would boost ratings all across Canada. Someone just needs to build the speedway... which doesn't seem to be happening.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:44 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Times are tough. If they do build it will be a place that has the people and money.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:55 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,909,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Kentucky will definitely get the date once they get that sack of garbage that built the track out of the lawsuit business.
Well, the court system told Jerry Carroll to pound sand and it doesn't look like he'll appeal. So, that should end the Kentucky lawsuit nonsense.

Now, let's see if Nascar and Bruton Smith come to terms to bring a Cup date to Kentucky in 2011 or soon thereafter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing