Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
OP got it right in that if they want to gain fans here they had better figure out a way to have more racing instead of the common parade. F1 is a sport domitaed by fans who like the cars more than racing.Between the cars and the drama of racing politcs that is their fan base.
Actually, most F1 fans are fans of the drivers - especially those nations who have a driver representing their country. It's a world wide sport. The rest of the fans are typically fans of the teams... Ferrari being the dominant team because of their recent success. Yes, the cars are great and the technology is amazing, but that's not the biggest draw, though it's a decent draw.

I would like to see more passing as well, and I think they should do more to encourage more passing. But the more you limit the sport with regulations, the more you take away what it's been about since the beginning - and there are already a ton of regulations. Look at all the people complaining about how much NASCAR has been regulated. It's practically a spec series now - and even then, you can still usually guess who the top 5 will be at the end of the race or the end of the season. Most road racing series will usually have the same group of drivers at the front. Not much you can do about that. With that said, I'd still like to see the aero rules changed a little so that it's easier for drivers to pass each other in F1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 08:10 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
I gave up watching F1 during the Schumacher parade lap years (after watching, pretty regularly, for 30 years or so) and just started watching again about mid last season. This year has been pretty entertaining and I like the changes to qualifying. With no refueling, I expected to see a lot more cars running out of gas the last lap or so, but that hasn't happened.

Given the economy, the political climate, the last disastrous US F1 race and the ridiculous fees Bernie charges, I'm not holding my breath for another US race. I'm happy with the only North American race being Canada, even if it is a road course.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:54 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times
I'd definitely like more passing, but it has to be hard enough to be significant. NASCAR's 235363645643 passes for the lead per race are as bad as a parade F1 race if only two of them, presumably in the last 2 laps, mean something.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:05 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
If Tavo Hellmund comes through on everything he says, he has a steep mountain to climb and quickly. I'll believe it when the track is opened.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:19 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
OP got it right in that if they want to gain fans here they had better figure out a way to have more racing instead of the common parade. F1 is a sport domitaed by fans who like the cars more than racing.Between the cars and the drama of racing politcs that is their fan base.
Guilty. I'm more interrested in the cars, technology, tracks and speed than actual racing.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:31 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,127,170 times
Formula 1 Site map for Austin, TX. If I read correctly this will be a December race which could make it a big player in the points if it close. Either way this is whats to come

Top view

Elevation change

Old 10-09-2010, 09:44 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
I'll need to see shovels turned and bulldozers working by early spring 2011 if I am to believe in 2012 - and even then they'll be fortunate to hit a late 2012 race date.

South Korea started building late 2009, and it's been touch-and-go if they'll actually be done by late this month - the articles I've read indicate that there is still a lot unfinished.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
No doubt a first class road course in Texas can become a profitable venture for the owners. I have my doubts about any success of F1 at this or any track in the US.
Indianapolis is arguably the center of Open wheel racing and if they could not keep F1 at the best spectator friendly track for road racing how do folks think it can become a popular and successful venue in Texas?

If there were no NASCAR then maybe F1 could become the #1 spectator motor sport here but I doubt that's gonna happen real soon.

This not a NASCAR vs Open wheel post, just somebody who enjoys all types of motor racing.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:51 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,079,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
No doubt a first class road course in Texas can become a profitable venture for the owners. I have my doubts about any success of F1 at this or any track in the US.
Indianapolis is arguably the center of Open wheel racing and if they could not keep F1 at the best spectator friendly track for road racing how do folks think it can become a popular and successful venue in Texas?

If there were no NASCAR then maybe F1 could become the #1 spectator motor sport here but I doubt that's gonna happen real soon.

This not a NASCAR vs Open wheel post, just somebody who enjoys all types of motor racing.
Just call F1 the Red Bull Racing Circuit!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:53 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,079,742 times
Was all excited to watch the race in Japan, and my boy Petrov crashes out in 1.3 seconds........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing