Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:50 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,422,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Almost all vehicles are dual brake systems, but they are not 'the front', 'the rear' , they are one front, one rear
Please think this post over and correct your mistake. We all make incorrect post on occasion but yours is just nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 11:04 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,268,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
You don't have to do it but considering a brake fluid flush is something that should be done annually it is just good measure.
I know this is an old post, but is this true?! I've never flushed brake lines just to flush them. My truck is 14 years old with 140K miles on it and has never had the brake lines flushed.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:48 AM

15,820 posts, read 20,604,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I know this is an old post, but is this true?! I've never flushed brake lines just to flush them. My truck is 14 years old with 140K miles on it and has never had the brake lines flushed.
You should, but it depends on where you live. Brake fluid attracts moisture and if you live where it's humid, you might want to fluid it every 1-2 years. If you live in a dry desert, you might be able to go longer.

It's one of those things that nobody ever changes, but you really should.

I live where its humid and every 2 years I flush my brake fluid and the pedal response inproves each time I do it. There is less sponginess.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:22 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,876,922 times
Looks like I had better schedule a brake line flush and replace BF. I wonder if the anti lock brake system in my Subaru and old Buick will make this more complex than just regular power brakes.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:59 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,603,696 times
I just do it anyway. Since I'm already messing with brake fluid and dirty might as well do the whole system. Brake fluid breaks down and the inside of the lines rust from moisture.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 PM

15,820 posts, read 20,604,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Looks like I had better schedule a brake line flush and replace BF. I wonder if the anti lock brake system in my Subaru and old Buick will make this more complex than just regular power brakes.

I've done it plenty of times on modern cars with ABS. I've done full brake fluid bleeds, and single point caliper replacement. Bled like normal and never had a problem.

Just make sure you never let the master cylinder reseviour run dry and you shouldn't have an issue.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:33 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,923,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
All vehicles built since 1967 have dual brake systems.
Most vehicles have one front, one rear on the split. This is for a more controlled emergency stop. Try stopping a vehicle with just the front or just the rear brakes. The brake proportioning valve is 70% front/30% rear. It's the reason that front brakes are replaced twice as much as rear brakes.
And for the know it alls. I own a Honda Civic. The Repair manual, section 9 Brakes page 2 "The circuits are arranged so that you always have one front and one rear brake for a more controlled emergency stop. [the right front and left rear are in one cicuit; the left front and the right rear are in the second circuit].
Its the opposite on a VW beetle. Two sets of rears to a set of fronts. Most vehicles with abs no longer have a proportioning valve in the traditional sense.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:35 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,603,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
You should, but it depends on where you live. Brake fluid attracts moisture and if you live where it's humid, you might want to fluid it every 1-2 years. If you live in a dry desert, you might be able to go longer.

It's one of those things that nobody ever changes, but you really should.

I live where its humid and every 2 years I flush my brake fluid and the pedal response inproves each time I do it. There is less sponginess.
Brake fluid doesn't attract moisture. Moisture enters the system from leaking seals, hoses, lines. Moisture is more common from old brake fluid that boils and creates vapor from the boiling. The trapped moisture/vapor inside the system will rust the lines on the inside and decrease braking. Brake fluid breaks down just like any other fluid it doesn't last the life of the vehicle. People who never experienced trouble or never bleed the system are just lucky or like dancing with the devil

Old 07-09-2014, 12:39 PM

774 posts, read 2,606,002 times
I can't comment on the civic brake system running on line to the front and another to the rear from the same point on the master. I've worked on a number of civic and other Hondas and have never seen this but car companies do a lot of weird and in this case stupid things.

That being said. 99.9% of cars out there do not require you to open up both systems. If you replace a front brake caliper all you really should need to do is bleed that line.

If you've replace a large section of line you really should bleed both fronts or both rears respectively.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:48 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,841,078 times
Most if not all fwd cars have crossed brake systems, it has nothing to do with brake porportioning. It doesn't mean if you lock the brakes on a Caliber, you'll get a left front, right rear lock up. Basically fwd cars have crossed systems because they are front wheel drive. The front brakes still have most of the braking force, it's for better control. It might not be as common with the advanced abs and traction control of the day, without that, or crossed systems, they would stop like a truck with no rear brakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive