Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:11 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times

Advertisements

Do you have a specific reason for wanting a big SUV? They are not the most economical vehicles out there. Reliability is not excellent, and fuel economy is dismal. Now for a car that's *really* fun to drive, I can put up with that so long as I can afford it - but for the big old school bus that the Exploder is, I ain't havin' it. Me, I'd sell the Exploder as a Mechanic's Special if necessary, put that money towards keeping the Miata.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:43 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Everything I've read or been told by anyone not selling a flush is to not do a flush. A good friend is a mechanic, and he goes a little nuts when talking about flushing a tranny. It can loosen junk in the tranny which can then plug or interfere with other tranny parts. If fluid is an issue, drain the old, clean the filter, and put in new.
A fluid change only changes about 20%, most of the fluid in in the torque converter.

I talked to my friends who own a 4x4 shop about it over a few beers. As they said, it is the tranny fluid that breaks down. They said if you could keep your fluid fresh a tranny could run near forever. They do not even own the equipment to do a power flush but they suggest doing it as often as possible. They build up front and rear ends, rebuild auto and manual transmissions and transfer cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Everything I've read or been told by anyone not selling a flush is to not do a flush.
who is not doing not??? This made no sense, sorry.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:36 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
Keep the Explorer until you find a job and don't get rid of the Miata just yet! If your husband doesn't commute very far you can literally drive that SUV into the ground even with a finicky transmission. And don't worry about the window motor. It's nearly winter anyway!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:53 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

I'll have to ask my mechanic what he'd charge to install it. If I do something like that, do they guarantee it will work when it's put it? Or is it a crap shoot?
If you buy a part from anywhere other than the shop and/or mechanic who is putting it in, you won't have any warranty from them. So it is a crapshoot, but it may save you a bunch of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
A fluid change only changes about 20%, most of the fluid in in the torque converter.

I talked to my friends who own a 4x4 shop about it over a few beers. As they said, it is the tranny fluid that breaks down. They said if you could keep your fluid fresh a tranny could run near forever. They do not even own the equipment to do a power flush but they suggest doing it as often as possible. They build up front and rear ends, rebuild auto and manual transmissions and transfer cases.

who is not doing not??? This made no sense, sorry.
I stand by my opinion, which is based on the education and experience of numerous mechanics and forums. And my statement makes perfect sense. Those selling flushes promote them, those who do not sell them do not promote them. They just give their honest opinions, which is to not flush the tranny.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Do you have a specific reason for wanting a big SUV? They are not the most economical vehicles out there. Reliability is not excellent, and fuel economy is dismal. Now for a car that's *really* fun to drive, I can put up with that so long as I can afford it - but for the big old school bus that the Exploder is, I ain't havin' it. Me, I'd sell the Exploder as a Mechanic's Special if necessary, put that money towards keeping the Miata.

From the OP-

"And we have to have an SUV because of his medical / back problems - his spine is fused in 3 areas and he can't bend over or stoop down to get in a car, so an SUV is a must."

Old 11-09-2010, 09:07 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
or do I get something newer with 20k miles and run a much smaller risk of having problems, but know I've put myself in debt again.
Did I read correctly that your budget is up to $4k? If so, I don't think you can find anything with 20k miles for that amount of $.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:56 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
And what is the best bet for finding something that's reliable?
Ok heres two. Try a Lexus RX300 (2000-2003) under 10k. Smaller but just at the right height to slide in sideways. Drivers seat is cut just right. If you have to have bigger then try a GX470 (2003/4) under 15k. It has handles so you can hold on when climbing in and the running boards light up at night and are much sturdier than an Explorer (I had the limited version, BIG difference).

At $4k there isnt really much. For that you might at well rebuild your Explorer.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:00 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Keep the Explorer until you find a job and don't get rid of the Miata just yet! If your husband doesn't commute very far you can literally drive that SUV into the ground even with a finicky transmission. And don't worry about the window motor. It's nearly winter anyway!
The Miata has to go. That's money for food for a couple months in case UE doesn't bother to do my claim. I can't believe how ridiculously difficult it is to get in touch with them! Hubby doesn't commute at all. He's retired / disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Did I read correctly that your budget is up to $4k? If so, I don't think you can find anything with 20k miles for that amount of $.
The mileage and money were for two different scenarios. I"m either spending the $4k I get on the Explorer to buy something older but with fewer miles or I'm looking to take out a loan and buy something with 20k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Ok heres two. Try a Lexus RX300 (2000-2003) under 10k. Smaller but just at the right height to slide in sideways. Drivers seat is cut just right. If you have to have bigger then try a GX470 (2003/4) under 15k. It has handles so you can hold on when climbing in and the running boards light up at night and are much sturdier than an Explorer (I had the limited version, BIG difference).

At $4k there isnt really much. For that you might at well rebuild your Explorer.
We found a ton of the RX300 in a decent price range. Question is do I want to take out another loan. We're so close to being in debt only on the mortgage. Stepping into another car loan would be stupid if we can avoid it. The temptation to buy something nice though is really strong. And if we do, we can get a 4x4 SUV, which will come in handy if we move to Maine like we've been talking about. *sigh* I just hate payments of any kind. If I put the cash aside each month that I'd spend on a car payment for just 2 years I could pay cash for a nicer SUV with 4x4.

I guess the real question is, will I be a responsible adult and do what I know is right.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
We found a ton of the RX300 in a decent price range. Question is do I want to take out another loan.
Decently priced because those people want to unload a vehicle that for the most part, requires specially trained mechanics and expensive parts. Money Pit......

Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Decently priced because those people want to unload a vehicle that for the most part, requires specially trained mechanics and expensive parts. Money Pit......
Wrong (for the most part)!!!!!

My wife and I use them (RX) as our commuter vehicles. They have AWD. We both have the same year. Hers has 150000ish and the only major repair cost hers has had was the drivers window actuator failed. Mine has 180000ish miles on it and the only major repair it has had was that the knock sensors failed. Past that normal wear and tear parts, and maintenance and thats it. My funsy vehicle is a RX470 with 75000ish miles with no problems. Now lets talk about what they replaced: Two Ford Tauruses and a Ford Explorer. All excellent drivers, all had nearly 250000ish miles each but even though repair costs are less, they each cost more over time to take care of since they visited the shop more often past the normal stuff. Well then you might say thats Ford for ya. Well we also have farm property with their own vehicles. It has two GM (Pickup (4x4) & a minivan (AWD)) vehicles on it. Each one has over 110000ish miles on it and I cant go a year without a $1000ish repair needed. I had the luck this year (I blame it on Ethanol) that both lost their fuel pumps.

Whats also great about a Lexus is that if you take to the dealership for repair, they loan you a equivelent Lexus at no charge no matter where it came from.

The 1999-2003 RX300's are all nearly the same except for some minor outer plastic changes and slight engine changes (all taken care of during in warranty periods). Its sister car is the Toyota Highlander. I also have certain back issues and require either slide sideways or slide upwards for ease on my back (all have leather for that reason). The RX300(compared to the Highlander) has subtle differences in entry/exit that usually only a back pain sufferer will notice.

Quote:
We found a ton of the RX300 in a decent price range.
Because a ton of people have purchased them and upgraded to newer versions. It may have an initial high purchase cost, but notice "No Recalls". They started the look of the mini suv and everyone tries to copy them. Look around you'll see tons of them driving around compared to any other suv. Just go out and try one. Just make sure its the AWD and not the FWD. BTW its mpg is about 18-19 for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive