Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:21 AM

534 posts, read 2,407,819 times

Advertisements

Craigslist is great, you just have to use your senses. Only do local deal. No matter what. Complete your transaction at the buyers bank, sign over the title and get the cashiers check from the bank, or cash (at a meeting place, or the title agency). Anything other than these 2 scenarios, is bad. Also get a bill of sale, signed and dated by both parties when the guy drives the car away, so it is no longer your responsibility. A lowish milage toyota (before scandal years) will sell itself. You shouldn't have problems. And yes carmax will buy it, but give you substantially less than you could get for it selling it yourself. I have bought and sold several cars on craigslist with no problems. Just gotta weed out the scammers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 06:11 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
There are some that will sell your car on consignment... ..
Yes, and set a reserve or minimum that you can live with. In other words they can't sell it for less than $x,xxx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Ahem, Carmax IS a dealer...
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
Craigslist is great, you just have to use your senses. Only do local deal. No matter what. Complete your transaction at the buyers bank, sign over the title and get the cashiers check from the bank, or cash (at a meeting place, or the title agency). Anything other than these 2 scenarios, is bad. Also get a bill of sale, signed and dated by both parties when the guy drives the car away, so it is no longer your responsibility. A lowish milage toyota (before scandal years) will sell itself. You shouldn't have problems. And yes carmax will buy it, but give you substantially less than you could get for it selling it yourself. I have bought and sold several cars on craigslist with no problems. Just gotta weed out the scammers.
Some states have a form you can fill out to notify the state when you sell a car. Usually through whatever department handles registration. Establishes a paper trail and cut off date of when you are no longer responsible for what happens with that car.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:34 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
A bit of advise on Craigslist, use a throwaway email address (web-mail) as you will be getting lots of spammers and scammers replying. After the sale you can bail that web-mail address. I just put my phone number on my ads and say on the ad not to reply to the anonymized email link and I rarely put a web-mail address on the ad unless I'm in the mood to play with a scammer.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
Craigslist is great, you just have to use your senses. Only do local deal. No matter what.
I've bought and sold cars on Craigslist long distance. For example, my Range Rover was bought from a Craigslist ad on Long Island, NY, and I'm down here in Baltimore. When I do a craigslist search, I'll use the entire mid-atlantic region, including NJ and PA.

I also don't buy appliance cars so I have to cast a wider net to find a car I want. And of course, when I sell unique cars, I have to sell in a wider region, as well.

When selling a popular, common car, yeah, you shouldn't have to go outside your local area. But it's easier to just use your senses when dealing with replies. Anything that's a "do you still have the item" (using "item" instead of car, or sometimes using "vehicle" instead) is a clear sign of trouble.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,699,859 times
A note on car dealers - they all go buy the wholesale market for pricing, and none will give you more than wholesale value for your car (not KBB, NADA, etc). CarMax does however seem to give you closer to max value than "normal" car dealerships and is the one I would recommend - part of the no haggle policy I guess. Remember, to a dealer, its not just what your car is worth, its what they can buy that type of car for anywhere, so you are competing with all similar cars nationwide to an extent.

When I have traded in cars in the past, I always start at CarMax and get a value printed out from them. I then use that when trading in the car to get the value I want from it from the dealership I'm working with. If I ever couldn't, I'd just sell the car to CarMax.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Just as an extra place to check, Autotrader now has a guaranteed buy/trade value offer on its site. You enter all the information about the car and they will generate an offer from several area dealers. Most of them only accept trades, but some do offer an outright purchase. You then take the car there to get inspected and as long as you were honest in your statements, they'll cut you a check on the spot.

I would still lean towards a private sale with this car as you don't have to deal with pay-offs and there doesn't appear to be a time constraint on selling it. A dealer can only pay enough to give themselves a profit when they sell it. Let's say the car could retail for $2,000. Chances are the dealer would only offer you something like $1,000. In a private sale you could probably easily sell it for something like $1,800. Generally the sweet spot for a private sale on a common car is an amount slightly less than what someone could buy it from a dealer for.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:40 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
At least some dealers will sell your car on consignment if you don't want to do your own "leg work" - they take a fixed % of the selling price or they take a fixed fee for doing the deal for you.

Just another option.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 PM

661 posts, read 1,250,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
Do used car dealers buy vehicles from private sales? I'm going to be selling a 2003 Toyota Camry that has 52K miles on it. Rather than go through the hassle of a private sale, I wondered if it would be useful to contact used car dealerships in our area to see if they'd be interested in purchasing the car?
Back to the original idea here, some dealers do buy. Eight model years is getting old, the mileage is great though. Here most wouldn't buy.
My daughter bought a new Kia this summer, was offered $500-$1000 for her 03 Hyundai on trade, everywhere. We sat it in the driveway with a "For Sale" sign on the dash. It sold in a couple of days for $3500, we had to get the mechanical up to this area's standard, that was $500. The purchaser paid in 20 dollar bills so no trouble.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:58 AM

730 posts, read 1,313,744 times
Great replies, thank you all. CarMax probably won't work as the closest one is in Hartford CT (we're on Cape Cod). We'll most likely just sell it privately and request only a bank check or cash upon transfer.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to answer. I just knew I'd get some good information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive