Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You know that sounds like it could be right, it does look like one. Not much left to it though. I still haven't figured out how it got where it is, it's well away from any road, in a national forest...
Good question. Is the vin tag still on it? Perhaps it was a theft from years ago dropped off left for dead?

In Muscle car Review magazine a few months back, a guy out in Texas finds a '69 Road Runner flipped upside down on it's roof at the bottom of a ravine. The vin tag is gone and there's only a sliver of license plate left that reads the car was from Indiana. (the rest of the tag is cut off) No engine or trans. Been in the same spot for 30 years. Thought to be a theft that someone pushed off the side of the road into the ravine and left for dead.

Judging by the dash and the way the fenders are contoured, I'm willing to bet that's a 1970-1971 model Ranchero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
I think you're right. Here's one without a tree, which I'm guessing was an ash. They grow pretty fast. If the car was left there in, say, 1985-1990, that would look about right to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars In Barns-71-ranchero.jpg  

Old 02-16-2011, 12:57 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,140,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Good question. Is the vin tag still on it? Perhaps it was a theft from years ago dropped off left for dead?

In Muscle car Review magazine a few months back, a guy out in Texas finds a '69 Road Runner flipped upside down on it's roof at the bottom of a ravine. The vin tag is gone and there's only a sliver of license plate left that reads the car was from Indiana. (the rest of the tag is cut off) No engine or trans. Been in the same spot for 30 years. Thought to be a theft that someone pushed off the side of the road into the ravine and left for dead.

Judging by the dash and the way the fenders are contoured, I'm willing to bet that's a 1970-1971 model Ranchero.
Was it restored?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Was it restored?
That roadrunner would not be worth a restore Another thing you will often see is that many cars just parked dont have a clear title. Perhaps money was owed on it and the repo man never found it.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

You know I didn't even think to look for that. Almost anything on the car of any use or value has either been stripped off or shot full of holes.

I suppose it could have been a theft, or maybe someone crashed it through the brush and trees. The ground is slightly swampy there in the summer, here and there, though it could have happened when the ground was frozen. There's a slight hill nearby that blocks it from view of any trail or road, so it could have gone undetected a while.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,140,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
That roadrunner would not be worth a restore Another thing you will often see is that many cars just parked dont have a clear title. Perhaps money was owed on it and the repo man never found it.
That's what barn find A pillar/titles are for haha

Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Was it restored?
No. The Road Runner, when found and pictured in the magazine, was still upside down on it's roof, bullet holes shot in the left quarter panel, driver door missing the door panel, front bumper pulled out on, entire underbody was nothing but solid red rust.

I tried to find it on the internet but to no aval. Maybe I'll see if i can scan it if anyone really cares to see it.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
To deviate from the topic a little let me tell what I did to a rental agent that ripped me off once. I found a picture of a 63 vette split window model that was dirty sitting in a barn and then put an add on craigslist showing the car. I went on to say I was a widow who was selling old stuff my husband had collected AND NEEDED TO CLEAN OUT THE BARN. The contact number given was THAT OF THE RENTAL AGENT AND HER NAME. Lordy I bet she was on the phone for a long long time...lol

Old 02-17-2011, 02:04 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

Something I found in the woods. Just look at the size of the tree growing in the middle...

I found a model T in a barn here once, rather well preserved, but it wasn't for sale, unfortunately...

Judging form the steering wheel is looks like a late 60's early 70's Ranchero

Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Sometimes owners want restored money for their unrestored old cars, and refuse to sell them, so they store them (and their resentment) in a barn, shed, back of the yard, until they can get the money they think they deserve. Then, after they die, some relative sells them off for what they are truly worth. Sad but this happens all the time.
I have seen that happen many times Sayants.
There is a similar situation here in Lincoln, NE. I have shopped at a local Russ' Market grocery store at Hwy2 and 33rd street for years. One of their employees drives a 1964 GTO. A two door hardtop. When I first saw it about fifteen years ago it would have been restoreable. It must be in decent mechanical condition because I see it in the parking lot quite often. It is nothing but a pile of rust now though. I cannot understand why someone would let such a potentially valuable car rust away to nothing. This guy had a car worth a thousand or two as recently as ten years ago but anyone paying over $500 for it now would be a fool IMO.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive