Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 04:25 PM

910 posts, read 1,676,750 times

Advertisements

C6 Vettes, new 5.0 Mustangs, and the GTR are kings when it comes to overall performance for your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
C6 Vettes, new 5.0 Mustangs, and the GTR are kings when it comes to overall performance for your money.
I'm curious here ... how would these do compared to a steet legal but autocross prepared Mini Cooper S?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM

119 posts, read 379,817 times

Old 05-17-2011, 05:43 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
Maybe next time find out the true meaning behind someone's user name.
Who cares what it means. LOL, the true meaning. Your user name fits you, LAME

Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 PM

780 posts, read 2,925,624 times
Yep, that's me.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I'm curious here ... how would these do compared to a steet legal but autocross prepared Mini Cooper S?
Very different vehicles. A Mini Cooper is not going to hammer the driver back into the seat like the other cars will, or blast out of a corner. Small cars like the Mini typically need to be wound up high to really get moving, while big V8s have good power at much lower revs. The Mini may have some handling advantages, but probably only on tight courses, like parking lot autocrosses. Being FWD would offset any of those advantages, IMHO, against the RWD V8s, on a full size course or most roads. And it's a buzzy tin can compared to the others.

Before I bought my GTO, I drove numerous vehicles, including the Mini. It was fun but there's just no substitute for big power. It's just a different driving experience.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 05-17-2011 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 09:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I had to get a car to bridge a gap between my last one and when new models come out/are reintroduced...so I DID THIS EXACT SEARCH, op...looked for the best bang for my buck.

It always came back to the 'vette. I'm not one of those culturally initiated 'vette people...but I can appreciate the power, performance, looks...the whole package...for far less money than a lot of cars that can't even be considered comparable. Even dealers of other brands I have spoken to have to agree it's the best value.

So that's what I got to tide me over for the next couple of years - '11 Grand Sport convertible (I needed a convertible and the ZO6 and ZR1 don't come that way!).

But in the end, the car has to speak to you...go touch 'em, drive 'em, smell 'em...I would have thought I'd be won over by the 911 4S, but I was actually not moved at all...kinda bored, actually. To each their own.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:47 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I had to get a car to bridge a gap between my last one and when new models come out/are reintroduced...so I DID THIS EXACT SEARCH, op...looked for the best bang for my buck.

It always came back to the 'vette. I'm not one of those culturally initiated 'vette people...but I can appreciate the power, performance, looks...the whole package...for far less money than a lot of cars that can't even be considered comparable. Even dealers of other brands I have spoken to have to agree it's the best value.

So that's what I got to tide me over for the next couple of years - '11 Grand Sport convertible (I needed a convertible and the ZO6 and ZR1 don't come that way!).

But in the end, the car has to speak to you...go touch 'em, drive 'em, smell 'em...I would have thought I'd be won over by the 911 4S, but I was actually not moved at all...kinda bored, actually. To each their own.
An ex-coworker had a '98 C5, built to nearly 500 RWHP. It was brutally fast and handled like nothing I'd ever been in. He sold it and bought a Carrera 2. Beautiful car, amazing workmanship, even better handling. Fast, but nothing like the C5. He had it a few months, then sold it to buy a C6 Z06, an '07 I think. He knew the Porsche was a better car overall, but it didn't have that brutal acceleration he liked so much.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
An ex-coworker had a '98 C5, built to nearly 500 RWHP. It was brutally fast and handled like nothing I'd ever been in. He sold it and bought a Carrera 2. Beautiful car, amazing workmanship, even better handling. Fast, but nothing like the C5. He had it a few months, then sold it to buy a C6 Z06, an '07 I think. He knew the Porsche was a better car overall, but it didn't have that brutal acceleration he liked so much.
I've driven both corvettes and Porsches and I prefer the Porsche on normal everyday roads. It just seems like you get more feedback and are more "one with the car" in a Porsche when driving around town or through backroads. I'm not taking anything away from the Corvette it is a great vehicle. A Porsche and corvette are almost opposite type vehicles.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
I had a Porsche for a brief period of time, it was a 1986 911 Convertible. It was a neat car, my dad was selling it because he no longer really cared to drive it; it was difficult for him to get it and out of and didn't had the support he needed for his bad back. I bought it from him for a fairly cheap price and enjoyed driving it but I sold it for my '05 Corvette 'vert.

The Porsche definitely handled better than my 'Vette and even the interior quality of my 1986 beat the interior quality of an '05 Corvette. But I like raw power and the Porsche didn't even have close to the amount of get-up-and-go that my 'Vette has.

Maybe it's my personality, I'm not as sophisticated as some of my peers in the firm I work for but I get things done, one way or another. I'm very blunt, I don't beat around the bush...if I was a politician I'd be a Bill Janklow or Chris Christie, I'm not a fan of pandering to others either. The Porsche is more for the suit-and-tie people whereas the Corvette is for the blue jeans and a tee crowd...I am definitely the latter. Even when all the managers at my firm have a monthly meeting with the big whigs, many are wearing fitted suits while a couple of us show up in our regular apparel- usually a collared shirt and a pair of dockers. I don't care to impress anyone, I know what I'm doing and I do it well, I'm not in the business of looking like Donald Trump.

Maybe this is why the likes of BMW, Mercedes, etc simply don't thrill me, they're too tame and not rough around the edges. I have friends who drool over the M3 and M5, I wouldn't give them a second look over a regular Beamer.

Last edited by SpeedyAZ; 05-18-2011 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive