Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:41 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I plan to trade my car in as soon as I reach the end of the 36,000 mile warranty so I put synthetic oil in at the first change and I'll never change it again!
Thanks for the heads up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
I put a lot of miles on many of my vehicles. All of them have received regular oil changes when new, but after a few years and many miles, I tend to become lax in changing the oil as regularly. I had a 1995 Geo Prizm that I purchased new, and probably changed the oil regularly for about the first 180 to 200 thousand miles. After that, the car started to burn a little oil, so I topped it off, but didn't keep changing it as often. After about 230K, I pretty much stopped changing it, only adding more oil when needed. I think I did change it around the 250K mark, when the timing belt broke and needed to be replaced. It continued to run until it reached 281K miles, when it finally died. I took it to a mechanic who tore it down and said it was a problem with a piston rod, but upon my own inspection, I couldn't find anything wrong with the bottom end. I ended up giving the car to a mechanic that used the parts to fix a car for a single mom that I know. He used the bottom end from my engine and put it into her car, and it lasted for quite a while longer, until she had an accident that wrecked the car. From what I could tell, the problem I had with the engine was either a problem in the head, or in the exhaust system, not a rod as I was quoted by the first mechanic. I don't know what he was thinking!

I now have a 2005 Chevy Colorado Pickup that has an oil life indicator that tells me when to change the oil. The first few oil changes I did around 5000 mile intervals, but after about 30K, I started relying on the truck to tell me when to change the oil. I do use synthetic oil, and am confident that it will lubricate the engine properly. I do not exceed the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval, as indicated by the oil life indicator. Sometimes (usually), the interval is 12 to 13 thousand miles. This system determines the interval by how hard the engine is used and the number of starts and stops that are made. I drive mainly highway miles, often 100 miles or more at a time, so the engine is not abused, does not get warmed up, just to cool off a short time later, and is not over-revved. I have nearly 100,000 miles on the truck now, and it is running as well as ever, and I am planning to keep it for at least another 150,000 miles.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:20 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Automakers extend intervals between oil changes

Actually
Quote:
GM ditched its oil change recommendations. "It's dangerous and wasteful to prescribe an oil drain interval," says Charlie Freese, a GM engineer. "You'll change it too early or too late."
Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive