Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:44 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,707,982 times

Advertisements

Yea around 5k rpm. Other times around 4.

He checked the coils because the first codes were for the sparks plugs..PO351,352 and soforth.

He took off the CC and said it looked fine and he didn't see any blockage. I walked away at that point so I"m not sure if he blew it out or however you check if its blocked at all.

Fixed the hole in the intake mainfold and the car stopped shuddering/feel like its going to stale.

The issue is hard shifting and he put something in the transmission fluid for it (Lucas something) but I don't see any difference but I guess, I will have to wait and see.

Been a long night and morning.

Didn't get to test the high speed because of no highway nearby but its still jerky from 1 to 2 and when you come to a stop and it reeves like crazy to pick back up speed.

If all else fails, the CC is #1 on the list to be replaced but I'm not certain, I want to put much more money into this car.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 04:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
the transmission issue could be as simple as a bad sensor. when your guy pulled the codes, did he run the required tests that the shop manual lays out? if not then he needs to run those tests. often times the computer code only tell what circuit is being affected, not what is actually bad.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:19 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,869,933 times
Do not replace the convertor because all else failed without knowing for sure that's your problem. Best replace the guy attempting to diagnose it.

By the way. Depending on what engine you have, you could have up to 3 convertors on your car. That could become a mighty expensive lets try this and see if it fixes it deal.

By the way #2. You didn't mention how many miles you have on your car. The convertor(s) are covered 8 years or 80000 miles under federal warranty.

If it does in fact turn out to be a dead cat, make double sure whatever killed it is fixed or the new one(s) will be junk in no time.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the transmission issue could be as simple as a bad sensor. when your guy pulled the codes, did he run the required tests that the shop manual lays out? if not then he needs to run those tests. often times the computer code only tell what circuit is being affected, not what is actually bad.
He was on the pc and reading the book on it so I'm not certain.

I don't believe any codes came up for the transmission but ill have to look at the paperwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Do not replace the convertor because all else failed without knowing for sure that's your problem. Best replace the guy attempting to diagnose it.

By the way. Depending on what engine you have, you could have up to 3 convertors on your car. That could become a mighty expensive lets try this and see if it fixes it deal.

By the way #2. You didn't mention how many miles you have on your car. The convertor(s) are covered 8 years or 80000 miles under federal warranty.

If it does in fact turn out to be a dead cat, make double sure whatever killed it is fixed or the new one(s) will be junk in no time.
Yea, I know it can have upwards of 2 or 3. That's why we are trying to see what else especially at $120 a pop. Almost 1/3 of what I paid for the car.

187000 on the car.

I went to someone else a few weeks back and he put the issue on needing a tune up only and I'm back at the issue again.

Hence, why I'm back to my normal guy. Gave him all the suggestions from here.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:37 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
A tech face down in a book is working. There is way to much info to put to memeory.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:47 PM

Well, my mechanic called me this morning (missed his call yesterday)

He told me, he contacted a Ford Master Tech as well as looking up some TSB on the 04 Ford Taurus. He says, he is 80% certain the transmission or torque converter is failing from what the FMT told him about issues with this car. Won't know with certainty until he can drop it but the car is acting up so it will hard to get to him now.

The estimate to fix the car is sounding more than what I paid to buy it myself so I guess, its time to junk it and found something else.

Thanks for the help again guys. Much appreciated.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
You may be able to sell it to the mechanic, if he's interested in putting a rebuilt trans in himself, or sell the car as a "mechanic's special". Assuming the rest of the car is in good enough shape to make this worth doing. If not if you have a place to put it, and part it out yourself, at least try to sell stuff like radiator, engine, etc. etc. - then give what's left to a yard.

If you have a place to work, and ways to lift the car properly, maybe some more experienced help, swapping the transmission out for a rebuilt unit does not demand professional-level skills and toolbox, like rebuilding the tranny yourself would. Be careful if you go this route, don't drop the car or the transmission on yourself. Another advantage of a manual trans is it's not only more reliable but if you need to pull it to do a clutch, it's lighter.

Down South, you can find older cars in good shape, I have had good luck with 1980's VW cars - get one with a stickshift, they are about bulletproof. A cabrio is nice to have on hot days.

If you get something old enough, you can dodge the SMOG inspection.

An original 6-cylinder (230) 4-speed 65 Mustang went for about $5K here recently, it was presentable, not perfect, but basically ready to drive and enjoy, very easy to maintain and repair, pay for gas, tires, and oil only, learn to tune it yourself.

Just 2 of many possible examples

Do they still publish the Atlanta Advertiser? If so, there were always loads of cars in that.

You can buy a "fright pig" old car if you don't know what you are doing, but older rigs have been good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive