Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:23 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,338,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,that's exactly what happened.
You don't get the engine fixed if you don't have proof of oil changes and other maintenence.
Why does that surprise you?

Consider this: Some people actually don't change their oil, either on time or at all. Some people (a lot more) don' follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule.

Both of these actions are completely necessary for the manufacturer to be able to guarantee that their product will perform flawlessly, and if it doesn't, to do the necessary fixes to make it so.

That being said, both o the aforementioned instances of neglect can significantly reduce the reliability of the machinery and the longevity of the product and cause problems that are of no fault of the manufacturer.

Knowing all of that, why does it surprise you that they require you to prove that you've kept up with all that maintenance?

A warranty does not mean a manufacturer pays for user error, mistakes or negligence, it guarantees that the manufacturer repairs errors that arise due to inferior parts, assembly or similar.

I've never heard of a warranty that doesn't require you to follow up on regular, manufacturer recommended maintenance, and it will be present, in writing, in the terms of the warranty, if you read it.

Oh and Drover, I meant to write transfer, lol, I was on my phone, so the auto spell thing messed it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 11:41 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Consider this: Some people actually don't change their oil, either on time or at all; and some will pay cash at the parts store for their own oil and filters and do that work even better. Some people (a lot more) don' follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule.

Both of these actions are completely necessary, as this warranty is a partnership where BOTH parties want longer life and agree to do certain things, for the manufacturer to be able to guarantee that their product will perform flawlessly, and if it doesn't, to do the necessary fixes to make it so.

That being said, both of the aforementioned instances of neglect can significantly reduce the reliability of the machinery and the longevity of the product and cause problems that are of no fault of the manufacturer.

Knowing all of that, why does it surprise you that they require you to prove that you've kept up with all that maintenance when easily observed conditions indicate that it likely wasn't done?

A warranty does not mean a manufacturer pays for user error, mistakes or negligence, it is a partnership with the owner that guarantees that the manufacturer repairs errors that arise due to inferior parts, assembly or similar so long as the owner does their share as well.

I've never heard of a warranty that doesn't require you to follow up on regular, manufacturer recommended maintenance, and it will be present, in writing, in the terms of the warranty, if you read it.
hth

Old 10-30-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
hth
You made quoting a little hard there, but...

a) I don't consider a warranty to be a partnership between the manufacturer and the consumer, it's a "service" (in lack of a better term), provided by the manufacturer, saying that their product is guaranteed to last at least this long, without malfunctions, and if it doesn't they'll take responsibility, and fix the problem.

That being said, they have certain conditions on that warranty that has to be upheld by the consumer for the manufacturer to be able to assure that the malfunction is not caused or enabled by the consumer. I don't understand how that makes it a partnership, it just means the warranty has some conditions attached to it.

b) I believe most companies, including Kia (though some dealerships might work differently), accept warranties for purchased oil and filters as proof of proper oil maintenance. Subaru for one has made this even easier by supplying a website where you can manually put in maintenance you do yourself. Keeping a paper trail on the maintenance of a car is not hard to do, and I understand completely why a manufacturer requires that when that maintenance is critical to the warranted item operating flawlessly.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
a) I don't consider a warranty to be a partnership between the manufacturer and the consumer, it's a "service"

Not literally of course; but that is the effect. BOTH parties have a common interest in having the machine last and perform as designed. Some makers go the extra step in making that even easier to happen with things like "free oil changes for life"

b) I believe most companies, including Kia (though some dealerships might work differently), accept warranties for purchased oil and filters as proof of proper oil maintenance.

Yes they do. The inference was the undocumented claim made in the face of overwhelming evidence that no real care was ever taken.
I wasn't contradicting you. I was expanding on the points.

hth

Old 10-30-2011, 01:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,that's exactly what happened.
You don't get the engine fixed if you don't have proof of oil changes and other maintenence.
How would you not have proof though? You always get receipts and reports when they work on your car. You can't be that careless... can you?

Old 10-30-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I wasn't contradicting you. I was expanding on the points.

hth
Ok. I misunderstood slightly.

I will say that I think manufacturers have found a good way to control the conditions of the warranty by offering free oil changes etc either with the car or as an add on service. (VW and BMW respectively). It gives the manufacturer the ability to make sure maintenance is in fact done, and it provides an extra layer of safety for the consumer, knowing that there's no way even an argumentative dealership can deny warranty repairs.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Ok. I misunderstood slightly.

I will say that I think manufacturers have found a good way to control the conditions of the warranty by offering free oil changes etc either with the car or as an add on service. (VW and BMW respectively). It gives the manufacturer the ability to make sure maintenance is in fact done, and it provides an extra layer of safety for the consumer, knowing that there's no way even an argumentative dealership can deny warranty repairs.
While it might vary dealer to dealer, My Nissan, Mercedes and Lexus all have free oil changes. Just got the Nissan oil changed and they found an issue with the emissions evaporator valve, so they took care of that right then and there :-).

Old 10-30-2011, 02:46 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Some dealerships, however, have a bad reputation for not wanting to help a customer piece together a warranty claim if they don't have every scrap of paper relating to the car, even if the maintenance has been done at the dealership. I am surprised that they do not require the fuel receipts as well as every other receipt. With a pre-owned car, there's an inherent issue that you may not have the full service history from day one as required by the warranty; thus, the claim would not be processed because of the missing documentation, and I doubt that the receipts from your period of ownership would be deemed acceptable by some manufacturers.

I think that the marketing perception of the 10/100 warranty is to blame, because some people do not know that the warranty automatically truncates to 5/60 with a second owner. This is a problem with a private party purchase, in particular, since some will list the 10/100 warranty as a selling point. Of course the phrase caveat emptor comes to mind, but when reinforced with claims of the "best" warranty, through mass market advertising, it's very easy to misinterpret the specifics of the warranty. Basically, when buying used, if you do not have a full-service history, with some manufacturers, like Kia, you are essentially buying a car that has no warranty as the required documentation is not with the vehicle.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-30-2011, 03:04 PM

From my Nissan Warranty Booklet:
"
As the vehicle owner, you are responsible for the
performance of the required maintenance listed in your
owner’s manual. Nissan recommends that you retain all
receipts covering maintenance on your vehicle, but Nissan
cannot deny warranty solely for the lack of receipts or for
your failure to ensure the performance of all scheduled
maintenance."

Old 10-30-2011, 03:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
For the majority of people reading this thread your car is the second largest major purchase you will make.

Why on Earth would one not ask relevant questions during the purchase of that car? Like what warranty does this car have? What are my responsibilities towards the maintenance?

How much money do you have to spend before you start paying attention and ask intelligent questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia