Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:33 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times

Advertisements

I got into a discussion with some buddies, the talk got around to where your car registration/insurance documents are kept. Personally I keep my papers in my wallet next to my license. My reasoning: In these days of identity theft, if (God forbid) your car is stolen or vandalized, the thief has your name/address/driver license number and insurance policy number. I suggested that ppl should keep that info in their wallet, NOT in the car. Also, in the event that you're stopped by law enforcement, you'll need to get your wallet (which contains your license) out anyway, so why not just keep your registration and insurance with it. Logical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 02:41 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
I suppose it would work in theory, but what if you let somebody else drive your car?

I wouldn't like it for that reason, plus the registrations in our state are on a full 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper which would make my wallet fatter than I like it.

I keep mine in the glovebox. There's nothing on my registration or insurance card that could reasonably be used to usurp my indentity; and it's convenient enough as long as I throw the old one out when I get the new one, otherwise I'm digging through a bunch of crap to find the ones that are current.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:54 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,771 times
I keep mine in my CD visor. I don't use CD's anymore but that gizmo visor thing comes in handy to store papers etc.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I suppose it would work in theory, but what if you let somebody else drive your car?

I wouldn't like it for that reason, plus the registrations in our state are on a full 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper which would make my wallet fatter than I like it.

I keep mine in the glovebox. There's nothing on my registration or insurance card that could reasonably be used to usurp my indentity; and it's convenient enough as long as I throw the old one out when I get the new one, otherwise I'm digging through a bunch of crap to find the ones that are current.
This ^^ plus I don't need to carry papers for three vehicles with me all the time.

Someone could grab a piece of mail out of my mailbox and have as much useful info on me as is on any documents I keep in the car.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:09 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I got into a discussion with some buddies, the talk got around to where your car registration/insurance documents are kept. Personally I keep my papers in my wallet next to my license. My reasoning: In these days of identity theft, if (God forbid) your car is stolen or vandalized, the thief has your name/address/driver license number and insurance policy number. I suggested that ppl should keep that info in their wallet, NOT in the car. Also, in the event that you're stopped by law enforcement, you'll need to get your wallet (which contains your license) out anyway, so why not just keep your registration and insurance with it. Logical?
If someone steals your wallet, now they have the registration and insurance documents to your car. Plus they have everything else they need to fuel the car.

Really, this isn't all that complicated. If someone steals your car, does it really matter if they have your registration and insurance information? They can easily get it from the plates if that is what they are after.

Why not read the regulations for your state? Some say the registration and insurance papers are to remain with the car.

As for being stopped and asked for your registration and such, reaching in the glove box when asked for the documents makes it far easier for the police to see what you are doing. Reach behind you to dig in your back pocket where they can't see your hands and the next thing you might hear is "STOP". If you carry your wallet in your right rear pocket, your hand will disappear from view, not a good thing. Sure you can tell them what you are doing but why make things so complicated?

Old 04-18-2014, 03:12 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Glove box for me. Last thing I need is to have my wife pulled over or get in an accident in my car, and the paperwork are with me in my wallet.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:19 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,637 times
For the past 39 years, I keep that sort of stuff in the glove box.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:21 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,215 times
I have a waterproof plastic box in all my cars. Holds the registration and insurance cards. It's brightly labeled so i can't miss it.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:28 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
I used to keep them in my glove box but recently I've placed them in a pocket that straps onto my visor as police can be untrustworthy and react wildly when they think you're reaching for something (or they claim that they thought you had a gun...). I also have a dash cam to record my driving in case of an accident and to record traffic stops if I run across one. I've seen all of the online video's of power tripping cops and didn't think much of it until I ran across a dirty one that gave me a ticket for following too close (while legally passing on a one laner) along with not updating my address with the DMV. Neither infraction was true and I won my case via a strong written declaration (we're talking $600 here in fines not counting insurance) but I know it's well within reason that either I or my wife (who is half black and dark skinned) might one day get stopped by an idiot with a badge and I'd like to limit any issues.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:02 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
Glove box and lock the vehicle only keeping the required documents for that vehicle, if someone wants your identity bad enough they will get it, best to always have some type of protection against this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive