Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 PM

491 posts, read 1,651,226 times

Advertisements

My brother has a 2003 Honda Ex Accord and we can't find a reason why the front tires shimmy when accelerating at around 55-65mph. He's the original owner and never happened before. It only happens when accelerating at that speed. He said he hasn't hit any big potholes.

He took it to an indy mechanic and said the tires are probably in need of balancing.
Well, ok so He had them balanced. Still shimmy's.
Car got an alignment at the same time. Still shimmy's at that speed.

So, he took it to a Honda dealer. They couldn'f find anything mechanically wrong with the car. I thought maybe the front rims were bent but they rotated the tires and still shimmy's.

They were able to reproduce the problem when driving it but no conclusive explanation. They suggested replacing the tires, but the tires were less than 2 yrs old with 18,000-19,000 miles on them. Dealer said they are worn out, but by just eyeballing it, I had tires before that were even more worn out.

BTW, the tires were from Cosco, BFGoodrich brand. The oem tires were Michelin MXV4, I believe, but those are a bit pricey. So, now we're debating if he should spend the money on new tires. Anyone else have any ideas before he shells out for a new set of Bridgestone or the oem Michelins? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Tappan Zee; 10-27-2011 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:17 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
If they are balanced, they are balanced, new tires won't change anything.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:51 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
If they're radial tires they could be separating inside which is not noticeable to the naked eye.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:00 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
I had a problem like that and it turned out to be the tie roads were worn. It happened to me just a little faster at 70 to 80mph. That was in a Audi that had 250,000km on it. The tie roads had been checked and prenounces OK but on closer inspection the bushings were worn to the point that allowed some play at that speed.

I had another car that had a similar shimmy at 80 to 90 mph. It was the control rods that were causing it. That was a BMW 535 and when they were fixed it stopped doing it.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:38 PM

491 posts, read 1,651,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I had a problem like that and it turned out to be the tie roads were worn. It happened to me just a little faster at 70 to 80mph. That was in a Audi that had 250,000km on it. The tie roads had been checked and prenounces OK but on closer inspection the bushings were worn to the point that allowed some play at that speed.

I had another car that had a similar shimmy at 80 to 90 mph. It was the control rods that were causing it. That was a BMW 535 and when they were fixed it stopped doing it.
So that were on the same page, here's a basic steering component diagram. We asked the dealer about the control arm and suspension as well, dealer said everything checked out Ok, mechanically the car was Ok, but you may have a point on closer inspection about the bushings. I would think they would find out if it was the bushings, the service advisor said they tried everything. The car was at the shop the whole day and trying to figure out what's causing it with trial and error, thinking it was the rims or tires that was doing the shimmy cause technician said it was mechanically ok.

If we start left to right from diagram 1 and diagram 2, where was the bushings problem on your car, labeling them point A, point B, point C, ect.
Were bushings on the steering rack the problem on your car in diagram 2?

Basic Steering component

Rack and Pinion

Old 10-28-2011, 04:14 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post

This. Had the same thing on an 02 Taurus, at about 130K.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
hopefully wheel balance. Could be loose lugs. Could be a broken belt in your tire. Could be a bad tie rod or control arm (Not sure if you have them in that car). Could be CV joints. Unlikey but could be wheel bearings. I think a broken rotor could do that too. A broken strut? again I am not postiive that would shimmy, but it seems to make sense.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
At that speed, it's most likely the control arm bushing that is shot. Cheap part but expensive labor. Not sure what the service advisor mean "try everything". Does it mean they replace the bushing?

Old 10-28-2011, 07:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
It could be a lot of things. The suggestion for tie rods and control arm bushings is pretty good considering what you've already done. I wouldn't 100% rule out a bent rim or tire issue, even though they said they checked it. One other thing to look at is the front brake rotors. If they are old and a little warped, they can cause a shimmy in the front end. Take your finger and drag it around the rotor, you should be able to feel if it is warped.

PS On the rim/tire balancing do they have the ability to do an on car balance? The basic machines simply don't spin the tires fast enough to really catch all of the issues. What comes off their machine "balanced" may not be balanced for driving 65-70 mph, hence why you get the shimmy.

Here's a link to a shop that does what I'm talking about:
http://www.butlertire.com/services.asp

Old 10-28-2011, 08:03 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It could be a lot of things. The suggestion for tie rods and control arm bushings is pretty good considering what you've already done. I wouldn't 100% rule out a bent rim or tire issue, even though they said they checked it. One other thing to look at is the front brake rotors. If they are old and a little warped, they can cause a shimmy in the front end. Take your finger and drag it around the rotor, you should be able to feel if it is warped.

Good advice. Honda are known for their brake issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive