Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times

Advertisements

Patriot Act=a pile of warm manure=more Fedzilla control over our lives=US constitution out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 10:04 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
im not so sure anyone knows what the truth is on this act. its so open ended and far reaching that lawyers can probley debate it endlessly.
I agree, but the dealership should at least tell the truth. How hard is it to say " We have to do this to comply with the Patriot Act." Then the customer knows why you are asking for information that seems unnecessary. If you can't tell me the truth, I'll go elsewhere. If you give the lame policy answer, I'll have to assume you are hiding something. It costs nothing to be honest, if you have nothing to hide.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:32 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Nowhere in that does it say a person has to fill out a credit application if paying cash. It just says the dealer has to report a transaction over $10,000.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
I work in the financial services industry, and the PATRIOT Act is a nightmare. The amount of information we have to collect just keeps growing - not only due to this invasive, privacy-stealing act, but also because of new rules passed by FINRA, asking for even more information such as "time horizon" and "liquidity needs". I'm surprised that we're not being asked to take photos of any tattoos the prospective client might have.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:55 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
I once made an offer on a Cad and said I'd return in 30 mins with a Cashiers check in hand.

I returned with the check (payable in my name) in case deal fell thru.

Sales person wanted a credit check and credit application filled out. My answer was what for? I'm paying CASH (Certified bank check) and you accept it or I walk out the door.

I left the car there to be smog checked and drove home 600 miles north of the dealer. My son would pick up the car in a couple of days for me.

Next morning I received a phone call from a bookeeper saying that the IRS had attached all the vehicles on the lot during the night and my car was GONE also.

Frantically I called the local IRS office in the car dealers area and was told they DID NOT have my Cad also I would NOT lose my Cashiers check or the Cad regardless of the dealers situation.

Turned out that the dealer had moved the Cad over to a independent smog station after my purchase transaction and the car was later picked up by my son.

Just a little story of what CASH can do.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:04 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,422 times
If by "pay cash" you mean write a personal check or go get a cashier's check (and return later with it) they probably do it to cover themselves in case the check bounces or you never pay. Dealers don't want you leaving without a signed contract and changing your mind (or buying elsewhere.) So they'll do what it takes to close the deal. But they're not stupid either, if you have poor credit they aren't going to let you leave with the car.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:20 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,129 times
We bought 3 cars with cash this year and were never asked to fill out a credit application - we would of failed because we bought 2 of the cars after only living here 1 month and the other after 9 months....and don't think we have ANY credit history here even now after a year.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
I did a stint as a licensed car salesman selling New and Used cars so know the Industry.

Generally a car is not delivered with a personal check. A bank Cashiers check is a different story.

The proper paperwork is written up for State registration fees/smog/license etc and signed before delivery of a car new or used.

Under CASH/CASHIERS check conditions a credit app is not required considering that no Bank finance etc is involved.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
im not so sure anyone knows what the truth is on this act. its so open ended and far reaching that lawyers can probley debate it endlessly.

The whole purpose of the Patriot Act is to make it possible to turn the country into an absolute dictatorship, and withstand any challenge. Just in case, you know. For our own protection, you know.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:34 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
I've heard of this before...I believe it has something to do with the possibility of the check bouncing, so I don't see the big deal about it should it be a cashier's check from a bank in that state. I wouldn't fill out the credit app for a different reason. Go ahead and sell my name, I love junk mail and I have a good-sized mailbox and a recycling bin. Here's the problem...fill out this credit app for basically no reason, does it hurt your FICO as a credit inquiry, like when you apply for a credit card?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive