Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:35 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times

Advertisements

I'll be paying cash for a new car I buy at the dealership soon. I have never done that before from a dealer, always got loans before. Will dealers take personal checks for the full amount or do they usually require a chasier's checks from your bank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Unless they know you personally, the dealer will want either a certified personal check or cashier's check for the car. The only times I have ever paid by a regular personal check, with no certification, is at a dealership that had sold cars to multiple people, and generations, in my family. Ask the dealership what would be acceptable forms of payment, since it can vary. The annoying problem can come into play when they try to sell you extras and your check is a cashier's check for the agreed upon price.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-07-2010, 01:13 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
I have paid with a personal check for every car I've ever bought in person at a dealership for the last 45 years, and I didn't have a long term business relationship with any of them.

It's never been an issue for them to accept my good check, and I've driven the car away upon completion of the deal at the time. Most deals were done after banking hours, so the dealerships could not even call my bank to verify that the check could clear at the time I gave it to them.

I've bought cars in CA, AZ, NM, CO, and WY. Never been asked for anything except to finance a car, which I've identified at the beginning of our negotiations that I was a cash buyer, ready & capable to make a decision on the spot. With my driver's license for ID, and proof of car insurance, I had all the paperwork I've ever needed to do a deal. I didn't need to visit with their F&I department, I simply negotiated the "out the door" purchase price, added the sales taxes, and wrote my check.

But maybe the dealerships in your area are different, and want certified funds. Call them and ask in advance ... although in today's soft sales environment, I'll bet if you showed up on their doorstep and made a deal, your good check for the full amount with proper ID would be most welcome.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:28 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
In NYC they probably do require a cashier's check. Here in the midwest I have never paid other than with a personal check. Evey dealer takes a personal check. Private seller, different story.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The annoying problem can come into play when they try to sell you extras and your check is a cashier's check for the agreed upon price.
I don't see where that would be a problem. You have two choices. You can say "There's my check for the agreed-upon price---take it or leave it". Or you can pay the add-on with a personal check. No dealer is going to turn down a $20K sale to quibble over whether a $200 check is good.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:39 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't see where that would be a problem. You have two choices. You can say "There's my check for the agreed-upon price---take it or leave it". Or you can pay the add-on with a personal check. No dealer is going to turn down a $20K sale to quibble over whether a $200 check is good.
$200? The extras they tend to try to push on me range from $2-$6k.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-07-2010, 09:48 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
Any dealer we have ever dealt with has accepted a personal check.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Unless they know you personally, the dealer will want either a certified personal check or cashier's check for the car. The only times I have ever paid by a regular personal check, with no certification, is at a dealership that had sold cars to multiple people, and generations, in my family. Ask the dealership what would be acceptable forms of payment, since it can vary. The annoying problem can come into play when they try to sell you extras and your check is a cashier's check for the agreed upon price.
I paid for the last five vehicles we bought at a dealer with a personal check. Two Hondas, a Mazda, a Ford, and an Infiniti.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:27 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
I bought a new 07 Camry, at a dealership I had never been before ( 60 miles away) and he took my personal check for $18,200.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:46 AM

747 posts, read 2,758,250 times
Best to call the specific dealership in question, since YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive