Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM

550 posts, read 1,356,098 times

Advertisements

Car dealerships are SCUM. I'm in the process of looking for a car. I went to one of the biggest toyota dealers in my state and didn't like the prices and financing options they had so I decided to not buy from them. The dealer insisted I get my credit checked to see what offer they could make but I said no credit check. My credit is excellent.

Dealer became really mad and agitated when he realized that i wasn't going to buy and go along with the credit check. Before test driving the car, I gave him my contact information including my GOOGLE voice number. The dealership is the only business/person to have this number...

The next couple of days I get harassed from a collections agency! I never picked up since they never left a name of who they were. I checked online and saw other complaints about the company. The collections agency is located in the same town as the dealership! The dealership is obviously doing business with the collections agency. Thank god Google voice allows for numbers to be blocked!

I will never buy a car from that dealer after this incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 07:12 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
They don't even need to do a credit check if taking a personal check. They can call the bank where you hold your account, they the dealership can have the bank verify funds.

I am one I'd use a bank check (cashiers check) and be done with it.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 PM

366 posts, read 1,374,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
They don't even need to do a credit check if taking a personal check. They can call the bank where you hold your account, they the dealership can have the bank verify funds.
yeah banks love to give out your account info to someone over the phone, dont they?

Old 11-21-2011, 08:28 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
yeah banks love to give out your account info to someone over the phone, dont they?
Not to the general public. But other banks and finance organziations.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 PM

366 posts, read 1,374,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Not to the general public. But other banks and finance organziations.
And they prove it how over the phone???

Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
The only issue with personal checks from dealerships that do not know you, and have a long personal relationship with you, is that they can only verify funds during normal service hours. I ran into this issue when buying a car for a family member because the dealership did not get their paperwork completed with final price, tax, etc. before the local branch closed, perhaps 1/3 mile from their front door.

The finance manager wanted to run a credit application and take the check, but I refused. When he saw that he was not going to win, and I had given him two options: my check or take my credit card for the price of the car, he agreed to call the after hour service number to verify the check. The bank, however, would not talk to him until they verified that I was in the room, and that I had allowed this inquiry, and only answered a specific question regarding whether or not there were funds available for the purchase price of the vehicle. After speaking with the finance manager, the bank's representative called me on my cell phone to verify everything again, and assured me that the line of inquiry had been completed with respect to that dealership. I never had to give the cell number, either, as it was in their file, and they just wanted to be certain that everything was done correctly.

I absolutely refused to fill out a credit application for a check purchase on principle, despite the preference of the dealership. So it took an extra half an hour to complete the deal, it was worth it not to have my personal information in the hands of a dealership, since I have no knowledge of their security procedures with respect to such information. Besides when a dealership has the audacity to charge $295 for a processing fee, I want to get my money's worth.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
They tried this with my parents recently and my mom flat out refused to tell anyone her SS number. The dealership eventually gave up and just took the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive