Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Everyone touted how much you cna save through tire rack.

I looked up Blizzack ws70 tires for one of our cars. $155 plus shipping. Then you have to pay for installation and balance $20 per tire, old tire disposal fee $5 per tire. All said sand done basically $200 per tire. Belle tire price $115 complete everything including a warranty and if something goes wrong, I just take it back to them. I do not need to ship it anywhere. Belle tire is probably not the cheapest alternative. I have several more places to check.

Why do people tout tire rack as a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:48 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
One particular tire doesn't tell the whole story does it?

Tire Rack isn't always the cheapest when installation is included. But they have a vast selection, and their ratings are useful.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:50 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
Tire for tire. Model for model. I have never seen a local seller come even close to the prices TireRack charges. Local prices are always higher.

Kudos to you if you found somebody selling cheaper, but I'm betting something is not the same.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:54 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Everyone touted how much you cna save through tire rack.

I looked up Blizzack ws70 tires for one of our cars. $155 plus shipping. Then you have to pay for installation and balance $20 per tire, old tire disposal fee $5 per tire. All said sand done basically $200 per tire. Belle tire price $115 complete everything including a warranty and if something goes wrong, I just take it back to them. I do not need to ship it anywhere. Belle tire is probably not the cheapest alternative. I have several more places to check.

Why do people tout tire rack as a good thing?
Lol "everyone"...sure...

I second hoffdano's comments

Old 12-17-2011, 10:58 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Tire Rack isn't always the cheapest when installation is included.
And they never will be.
Mostly because most people don't have a shop lined up in advance to do the installation work
and give them a solid known number to use when comparing.

Quote:
But they have a vast selection, and their ratings are useful.
uh huh.

Unless you live in the middle of **noweheresville** without a decent local/regional tire dealer to go to
(or several as most larger areas will have) then it might just make sense to buy something as bulky
and troublesome as a set of tires online. For everyone else? not so much.

hth

Old 12-17-2011, 11:16 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Last time I bought from them I saved $150 and that was including installation. It was worth the hassle of throwing the tires in the back of my truck and taking it to a tire installer.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:16 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
I'm considering using tirerack for my next purchase. I've tried name brands & off brands: Dunlop, Yokohama & Goodyear are good, Kumho is OK, Falken is garbage, I'm testing out some Hankook right now, but Michelins are hands-down the best. I had two sets of Hydroedge and haven't found a better tire than this.

Anyway on Michelins, NTB stores have price + tax, tirerack has price + shipping, and the costs for a set is about the same (for my car). However, the NTB stores I've used here have a return policy and you might be buying tires that have been used for 20-30 days, maybe longer. You can tell this because the tires will be missing some "tittys," won't have colored dots on the sidewall, and won't have a fresh glue stain from the label.

Next: for the balance & rotation plan, the super-busy NTB stores will tell you that you can drop your car off and come back in 1-2 hours... and then they might simply park your car in another spot without rotating them. After getting nasty with them more than once, I've sworn off NTB and am thinking about using tirerack and a local shop. Overall it may be more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:22 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
There is no better place to comparison shop for tires. With all the customer reviews you can make your choices based on real customer reviews, not advertising reviews.

I have no idea if Tire rack is touting the best prices but their service and delivery is great.

I'm not one for driving from tire dealer to tire dealer shopping for price, too much time wasted.

I found a set of BF Goodrich summer only tires for our car that I had no idea were available but were $50 a tire cheaper than anything else available and were very high rated by Tire Rack customers. That alone save me $200.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:22 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
I've purchased a number of sets of tires from TireRack. One recent set of 20 inch tires for my truck saved me almost 200 bucks after installation. On standard issue "regular car tire sizes" I haven't seen a lot of savings (maybe 50 bucks), but I have them delivered right to my tire shop. All I do is drop by and have them installed.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:36 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
I used tirerack to compare prices, and get a general idea. Then made tons of calls to different stores to see what they could offer on the same tire. I ended up purchasing my tires through Sam's Club for about the same price, if not a few dollars cheaper than Tire Rack. It took Sam's about a week to get the tires in that I ordered, but when I had a nail inflicted "blow-out", they simply gave me a new tire, installed it, and away I went. Also get free tire rotations, which saves me from dealing with the jack and stands.

I wouldn't buy blind, but I'd definitively compare. I also tend to buy my motorcycle tires online, as the prices shipped + install is typically cheaper than buying at one of the cycleshops and having them do the install. It takes a little longer cause I'll remove the rims from the bike, but still saves a few dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive