Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 03:51 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Now your a English teacher too?
You can take that crap to the writing fourm.

Scene you can't figure out what I'm talking about (I'm sure everyone else does) here it goes.

Humm, I'll take that back I think you are not being truthful.

He lied to you.

He tyed not to.

And you misunderstood what they said as WM does not set any tire standard for any tire, unless wallmart makes a tire for them selves and even then they too would need to meet Dot requirements.

No tire is made for wallmart you could have bought the same tire at any tire shop.

What mfg would produce a inferior tire and put their name on it for wallmart to sell?
English teacher? Where did that come from?

This whole thread is ridiculous. I didn't misunderstand anything. For the second time DOT is about safety. There are plenty of crappy tires that meet DOT requirements. WM and anyone else who wants a tire (or any product on the face of the planet) built just for them can set any standard they want and still meet DOT requirements. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?? Ever hear of all the Chinese junk on the market? Companies spec out what they want every day. WAKE UP!!!!!

I'm done here. I know EXACTLY what I was told by multiple people, as well as what I read 8 years ago when I was in the middle of this, and no one here is going to convince me otherwise. I don't know why everyone here thinks they know everything about this but they're wrong. I've been called a liar, and there's no cause for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 05:36 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
I have bought two sets of tires from Wal-Mart for a truck I owned. 1st set I lost a complete sidewall at 3000 miles on one tire, then at 4500 miles another one came apart. Both times were at highway speeds. I check the pressure religiously so that was not a factor.

2nd set (to replace the first set of POS tires): 3 of the 4 had broken belts within 1500 miles. The ride would go downhill and I would fine a broken belt, take it in and replce that tire. Another couple hundred miles and I would find another broken belt on a different tire... take it in and replace it, third time on a third of the original set and I just took it into a real tire dealer and replaced all 4. The first set were B.F. Goodrich, the second set were Goodyear.

last set I bought for the same truck was purchased at a local tire shop and I drove them long and hard for 3 years until I sold the truck and never had a problem. The 2 previous sets were also from a local tire shop and never had a problem with those either. I tried to save a few dollars and ended up with the two worst sets of tires I have ever owned. Call it coincidence if you want, I firmly believe Wal-Mart sells crap for tires and will never buy another set from them again.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:39 PM

96 posts, read 101,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Hey folks, looking to buy some tires for my 1/2 ton soon and was wondering if anyone can recommend any from walmart. I saw some general grabbers, bridgestone Duelers, and Goodyear tracker 2 among the choices. Has anyone bought these or their other choices and can give me feedback. I have heard that walmart gets special labels on brands that only they sell??? Anyways, looking for the best value and tires soon. Thanks.
I work in TLE and take it from me. Don't buy any tires from Wal-Mart unless you store carries General Grabber tires. You can also special order MUCH BETTER tires from Wal-Mart.com and have them shipped to your store. Stay away from the Goodyear truck tires, and for gods sake, DON'T BUY DOUGLAS TIRES!!

Old 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
I think you need to do a little reading. Wal*Mart either mounted or balanced the tires incorrectly or the tires were stored incorrectly. The sad part is you never took the issue up with Wal*Mart instead you went somewhere else and just lived with it. I have a good idea what truck tires cost and if I felt something was not right I would not be “living with it.†I doubt Conti is listening to Wal*Marts bean counters when it comes to engineering a tire that there name will be on.

Tire Tech Information - Match Mounting to Enhance Tire & Wheel Uniformity

Old 02-18-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I think you need to do a little reading. Wal*Mart either mounted or balanced the tires incorrectly or the tires were stored incorrectly. The sad part is you never took the issue up with Wal*Mart instead you went somewhere else and just lived with it. I have a good idea what truck tires cost and if I felt something was not right I would not be “living with it.†I doubt Conti is listening to Wal*Marts bean counters when it comes to engineering a tire that there name will be on.

Tire Tech Information - Match Mounting to Enhance Tire & Wheel Uniformity
To whom are you responding? Your post doesn't apply to anyone in this thread.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
To whom are you responding? Your post doesn't apply to anyone in this thread.
Quote:

When I bought my used F150 a few years ago, it had new Continental tires on it.

Oh I’m sorry I went back and read your original post. It appears you bought a used F150 with “new Continentals.” Gee you may never know if they were mounted correctly or what the former owner did with them, like slamming into curbs etc.

It sounds like your used truck came with used tires.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Oh I’m sorry I went back and read your original post. It appears you bought a used F150 with “new Continentals.” Gee you may never know if they were mounted correctly or what the former owner did with them, like slamming into curbs etc.

It sounds like your used truck came with used tires.
They all had 10/32" of tread and still had some of the little rubber nubs. They were pretty close to new. From what I was told, the guy I bought the truck from had it two months, and the tires were on it when he bought it. He drove it less than 100 miles based on the paperwork I saw.

But no, I don't know exactly what was up with the tires. I do know that having 4 supposedly new tires that were all terribly out of round suggests more than curb damage.

Swapping to the Michelins cost me a steak dinner. That was money well spent.

One other thing in general: the reason my friend-of-a-friend was willing to swap my tires with no purchase history is because WM is the only company that sold them, so there was no question about where they came from. He had to do some creative paperwork anyway, which is what cost me the steak dinner.

OP-most places will (at least nearly) match prices with any other retailer, so there's no need to focus on WM. I'm with other who have said to do business with real tire companies. I have another experience with WM that went from a matter of convenience to a mess because of their poor decision making. Also, where things are made isn't so important as QC and mfg specs are. For instance, the Chinese could build excellent products, but that's not why many manufacturers go to them.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 02-18-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,580 times
Looks like I opened up a can of worms! It would sure be nice to get to the bottom of this. The problem is Walmart would never say they are "cheaper" tires and the local tire shops will always accuse Walmart of having cheaper tires because of lower pricing. I too am trying to buy only American made brands. Does anyone know where the Brdgestones, General's or Goodyears are MFG'd? Because if they are all made from overseas, then it would be just a matter of not buying from Walmart.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:02 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Quote:
Please feel free to ignore all my posts .
Ditto

You can't teach those who do not want to learn.

You bring in stuff from left field and china.
yada yada yada. fact is any tire can go bad.
as pointed out they were on the truck already.

Were these LT tires or P pasenger tires?
What did the previous owner do to the tire?

Any tire MGF can have a bad run of tires.
Wallmart does not control the quality of the tires and I believe there is some new law that says they can only be so old before they are sold?

Anyway, I don't know why I still respond to a closed mind.

relax,vmaxnc this will be my last post on this...
your right no one lied to you,
I'm wron... right

The tire will say right on it where it was made.

AGAIN I never said you were a lier,

But if it will make you fell better or right I can?

Last edited by snofarmer; 02-18-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Ditto

You can't teach those who do not want to learn.

You bring in stuff from left field and china.
yada yada yada. fact is any tire can go bad.
as pointed out they were on the truck already.

Were these LT tires or P pasenger tires?
What did the previous owner do to the tire?

Any tire MGF can have a bad run of tires.
Wallmart does not control the quality of the tires and I believe there is some new law that says they can only be so old before they are sold?

Anyway, I don't know why I still respond to a closed mind.

relax,vmaxnc this will be my last post on this...
your right no one lied to you,
I'm wron... right

The tire will say right on it where it was made.
There was nothing for me to be open minded about when I posted, and I certainly wasn't looking for an education from someone who calls me a liar and gullible. I had all the facts about my specific case already. Not sure why you felt it necessary to insult me like you did, but whatever makes you happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive