Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times

Advertisements

I'm still saving up for a 06 gto...but I'm also interested in the 05 Subura wrx sti and the 05 mitsubishi evo

But what are your opinions on AWD vs rwd in terms of performance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
All depends upon your intended useage & expectations.

Living in an area with a long winter climate with black-ice slick roads and intending to use the vehicle for daily transportation would be a lot different situation than a Sunday driver in a temperate climate area ....

Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
All depends upon your intended useage & expectations.

Living in an area with a long winter climate with black-ice slick roads and intending to use the vehicle for daily transportation would be a lot different situation than a Sunday driver in a temperate climate area ....

So rwd is better for sunny weather then awd??

Old 04-01-2012, 09:32 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
As mention above, this all depends on your intensions and usage.

The WRX and EVO are rally cars in my opinion and designed for off road usage. I actually have a friend who's owned both and used to Rally race. He moved a while back to an area that doesn't offer such racing and started working on quarter mile racing instead. The AWD does help out a lot but it doesn't take long to get one to a point where you're really spending money to go faster.

The GTO is purely on road racing such as quarter mile racing. It takes some figuring getting a RWD car to hook but you don't loose as much power doing it.

Now personally, I've helped my friend work on his WRX and I didn't careful it. That and I really don't get into drag racing rally cars. So I would buy the Goat my self but again, it all depends on your intentions.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,212 times
Where do you live.. If it snows and this is going to be your only car then buy the WRX or Lancer. If you are lucky enough to live in a place that does not get snow then get the GTO.

If corning and braking are your major concerns then then one of the AWD cars is going to be a better choice as well. Yes you can make a GTO stick but it takes a lot of work as the car is a heavy pig and weight s not your friend,

Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
Where do you live.. If it snows and this is going to be your only car then buy the WRX or Lancer. If you are lucky enough to live in a place that does not get snow then get the GTO.

If corning and braking are your major concerns then then one of the AWD cars is going to be a better choice as well. Yes you can make a GTO stick but it takes a lot of work as the car is a heavy pig and weight s not your friend,

Well the purpose is to race at tracks and drag strips...with friends/rivals . So it will be only when the weather is good and most likely in New York and New jersey but ill be going to sunny weather places to race as well.

Ill be competing with srt 4's,(alot of them) GXPs, Integras (fully built), vettes, skylines and evos (lots of them) other various cars but thats the majority of them.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Well the purpose is to race at tracks and drag strips...with friends/rivals . So it will be only when the weather is good and most likely in New York and New jersey but ill be going to sunny weather places to race as well.

Ill be competing with srt 4's,(alot of them) GXPs, Integras (fully built), vettes, skylines and evos (lots of them) other various cars but thats the majority of them.
SRT's are simple, I knew a guy who a ton of cash in one and couldn't get faster than 12.00 on slicks. That of course is relative to our crappy conditions though. Hooking a Vette can be tricky and building a WRX/EVO could take a lot of cash. My friend has put over 10k into his EVO and runs 10's but it's a hand grenade...meaning it breaks a lot. That is a huge problem with them faster smaller imports. My advice would be go Old School and pick up an 87 T-Type Regal. I was running high 11's with hardly mods...only traction mods was shocks, airbags, and DRs. I swapped turbos, ported heads and was running mid 11's with ease. At that point I had to spring for a well built 200r4 which I got a great deal on one that was built to handle 10's but the guy never paid for it. I sold the car shortly after wards to prosue a different racing avenue.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
SRT's are simple, I knew a guy who a ton of cash in one and couldn't get faster than 12.00 on slicks. That of course is relative to our crappy conditions though. Hooking a Vette can be tricky and building a WRX/EVO could take a lot of cash. My friend has put over 10k into his EVO and runs 10's but it's a hand grenade...meaning it breaks a lot. That is a huge problem with them faster smaller imports. My advice would be go Old School and pick up an 87 T-Type Regal. I was running high 11's with hardly mods...only traction mods was shocks, airbags, and DRs. I swapped turbos, ported heads and was running mid 11's with ease. At that point I had to spring for a well built 200r4 which I got a great deal on one that was built to handle 10's but the guy never paid for it. I sold the car shortly after wards to prosue a different racing avenue.

I dunno I'm really not a fan off the old muscle cars....maybe its the fact that I haven't grew up with them.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Unless you NEED 4x4/AWD they impose a MPG penalty due to extra weight, drag and extra maintenance cost of the components that make up the 4x4/AWD systems. For that reason alone most folk's should stick with 2wd.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:08 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Unless you NEED 4x4/AWD they impose a MPG penalty due to extra weight, drag and extra maintenance cost of the components that make up the 4x4/AWD systems. For that reason alone most folk's should stick with 2wd.
Well until you look at the data. Then the reality is somewhat, ok a lot different.

The 05 WRX will get 26 MPG Gas Mileage of 2005 Subaru Impreza

While the ol' Goat will get 19 MPG with the big V8. The GTO with a big V8 and RWD does 19 highway up to 23 highway MPG.

Fuel Economy of 2006 Pontiac GTO

So looking at EPA data. Your statement is far from accurate.

Personally, I like the big rear wheeled drive cars... The WRX would be wicked fun to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive