Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:56 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times

Advertisements

You said you want the car to drive and it might be scratched. For that reason I would consider a used car. I would buy a used corvette, say 08 or 09. I think the corvette is more "classy" then the mustang. Not sure where you live but where I am mustangs are the toyota camrys of sports cars. They are everywhere. There are lots of corvettes also, but not to the extent of a mustang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
You said you want the car to drive and it might be scratched. For that reason I would consider a used car. I would buy a used corvette, say 08 or 09. I think the corvette is more "classy" then the mustang. Not sure where you live but where I am mustangs are the toyota camrys of sports cars. They are everywhere. There are lots of corvettes also, but not to the extent of a mustang.
Second that.

Honestly, don't even bother with anything prior to '08...the LS3 with the butterfly exhaust is pure bliss when you stomp on the gas.

I just checked and where I purchased my '08 convertible from has an '08 coupe with 35K miles for $35K which in my book is an absolute steal! You're hard pressed to find a nice '06 or '07 in Phoenix for that price!
http://www.corvetteworlddallas.com/db_uploads/2008_Chevrolet_Corvette_107990_Red_2.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,244 times
Meh the LS2 cars are fine if you can find them for a good price.

Drove a friends 6 speed 2011 Mustang GT California Special on Saturday, he just put the Ford Racing Whipple kit on it, it was fun but I would rather have a C6 vette.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:59 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am not sure about this. I read enough quality reports. These cars aren't on par with a Honda. :-( Like the previous post, maybe I am being unreasonable though.
Read more recent quality reports.
Even Hondas are not as good as Hondas used to be.

I don't see why you would have to baby your Corvette.
I sure as hell don't baby mine. I used to baby my cars, electronics, watches, etc. Not anymore.

I don't baby any car. I only live once, I've paid all the money, I'm using the crap out of everything I own.

And the funny thing is that nothing is really that much worse for it!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm using the crap out of everything I own.
Best post I've read in a long time. I think this is my new motto.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

I mean, honestly! What's the point?
I used to keep everything so nice...then years later, I had this out-of-date really nice thing that I never REALLY got to enjoy because I was so worried about taking care of it...it's stupid, and it's why I have decided not to get a Ferrari or any of those other ridiculous garage queens.
I don't want to keep something in a glass cage and only take it out on third Tuesdays when the sun is shining and the humidity is 23% and carry a diaper around with me and worry all the time. It really sucks the fun out of it.
I get that for some people that is fun, but it is NOT fun to me. The stuff you own (especially for enjoyment) should NOT stress you out.
So then people are like, "Why are you wearing your Rolex to work...where it will get gross and banged on things, etc?" and I am like, "When the hell else am I going to wear it and why can't I enjoy it every day instead of letting it sit in the watch winder gathering dust?"

It's just my new motto that I adopted a couple of years ago. Sorry to go off-thread.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
stan4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

+1!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:26 PM

I am with the above 100%.

I abused the hell out of my 05 GTO, from 2007-2011 I put 70,000 miles on it, winters, 300+ 1/4 mile passes, autocrosses, track days... and I loved every minute of it. It was driven hard and put away wet, stinky and hot. I recently traded it for my 09 G8 GT and it is not getting babied either, except sleeping in the garage which I didn't really have access to when I had the GTO.

A corvette is not as good as a honda? really? **** consumer reports, grow a pair and buy the corvette. You won't have many issues besides needing new tires, new brakes and oil changes. You shouldn't be in the market for something like this if you are going to keep comparing it to a honda.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:18 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
Meh the LS2 cars are fine if you can find them for a good price.

Drove a friends 6 speed 2011 Mustang GT California Special on Saturday, he just put the Ford Racing Whipple kit on it, it was fun but I would rather have a C6 vette.
I have friends who have Mustangs, I've driven Mustangs, and I even thought about buying a Mustang once but in all honesty...they're just a bit boring. By all means they're good cars; they're decently fast, comfortable, have a good exhaust note (V8), and probably have a bit better interior than a Corvette, but for some reason I just wouldn't ever care to own one. You simply don't feel special or unique when driving it, it almost feels like an "appliance pony car". I think it has to do with the fact that a Mustang is just so common; I see quite a few parked in the student lot at the local high school! I guess with a Corvette, even thought it's by no means uncommon, they have a bit more "unique" feel.

Just my $0.02.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I have friends who have Mustangs, I've driven Mustangs, and I even thought about buying a Mustang once but in all honesty...they're just a bit boring. By all means they're good cars; they're decently fast, comfortable, have a good exhaust note (V8), and probably have a bit better interior than a Corvette, but for some reason I just wouldn't ever care to own one. You simply don't feel special or unique when driving it, it almost feels like an "appliance pony car". I think it has to do with the fact that a Mustang is just so common; I see quite a few parked in the student lot at the local high school! I guess with a Corvette, even thought it's by no means uncommon, they have a bit more "unique" feel.

Just my $0.02.
This is part of the reason why I bought my 05 GTO originally... with only 40,000 imported to the US between 04-06, you don't seem them every day.

That is also what drew me to my current G8, granted I was already in love with the Aussie built V8 cars from owning the GTO but there are very limited numbers of G8's here, I think 22,000 of the GT models? I would have loved a GXP but with only 1,800 here they are still selling for almost original sticker price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive