Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM

86 posts, read 268,625 times

Advertisements

I don't really have a problem with them in my area. I live in an area where a popular bike trail starts/ends too, and I really haven't had a problem with them obstructing traffic on 40 mph single lane roads. Just pull around them and give them enough space.

Every now and then you'll come across an idiot who blows through a stop sign or even a traffic light, but you have that with drivers as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 12:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Find me that law.
May not be a law but its definitely an award. as 700+ people earned it on bikes last year.

Quote:
darwin award

an award given to somebody who dies or steralizes themselves in a manner that is so stupid and reckless, they actually improve humanity's gene poll by removing themselves from it.
Bikers putting themselves in harms way by mingling with automotive traffic are definitely risking getting this award.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Bikers putting themselves in harms way by mingling with automotive traffic are definitely risking getting this award.
Fine, you can ignore cyclists all you want, then when you kill one you can get the Vehicular Homicide award.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Not sure where you read I'm ignoring them but i feel it to be fool hardy to drive a bicycle in todays traffic,many vehicle drivers are distracted and dont see bicyclists or dont expect them, most automobile drivers are speeding and dont have the time to avoid a bike when they all of a sudden pop up where you least expect them and on top of that most car drivers hate bikers.
HandsUpThumbsDown you drive in the road if you want, its your life

Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
I'm perfectly willing to share the road as long as they're willing to obey traffic laws, most don't. I use to ride and am aware some car drivers don't believe bicycles belong on public roads. Cyclist need to stop at stop signs, stop at red light (unless they get off their bike and walk it across the intersection if the traffic signal for pedestrians permits), and have lights front and back for night driving. I use to use hand signals when on a bike but later realized none of the other drivers knew what they meant, one thought I was flipping him off when I was signaling for a right turn.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Well I will say that I'm happy to see more and more warning signs aimed at drivers around my parts stating that "Bicycle may use full lane", but even with this initiative, I'd still like to see dedicated bicycle lanes, clearly marked and heavily enforced, mainly to ensure the riders safety.

All that said, they don't bother me at all, I give them room and always change lanes, giving them the entire lane, whether they ride in the middle of it or not, I don't see why they should have any less right to travel on the same roads I do, simply because they're slower (be dafault) and less protected, as a car driver, it's my responsibility according to the law and in my opinion, morally, to protect and respect "soft motorists" even when they do things that are stupid, because the result of hitting them is almost always severe.

Personally I think the idea of taxing them equally as cars is silly, as their use create negligible amounts of wear and need for maintenance on the roads they travel on.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I'd still like to see dedicated bicycle lanes, clearly marked and heavily enforced,
A

Personally I think the idea of taxing them equally as cars is silly, as their use create negligible amounts of wear and need for maintenance on the roads they travel on.
Tax them to pay for the dedicated ,clearly marked bike lanes. That would be fair.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
In my area a group of cyclists (maybe 10-20 of them depending on the turn out I guess) meet every saturday morning and ride their bikes down the road here. The roads are two lanes, one in each direction with solid double yellows the whole way so you can't legally pass them.

Rather than form single or maybe double file to be considerate of the huge line of cars behind them that don't want to go 15 miles an hour and don't want to cross the double yellow (I've actually gotten a ticket for that), they use up the entire lane and they do not give a flip.

There are so many turnouts where they could pull into to let cars pass but they do not. They just continue on creating a rolling roadblock and backing up traffic.

It is inconsiderate people like that that I have a problem with.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Tax them to pay for the dedicated ,clearly marked bike lanes. That would be fair.
Kind of defies the point of taxes though doesn't it? Does that mean that bicyclists who don't have a car get a deductible for whatever part of their taxes are spent on roads, or that if I decline the services of police and fire officials I don't have to pay for that either?

Bike lanes would be beneficial to both drivers and bicyclist and looking at it in a larger frame, society as a whole, everyone should pay for it, that's the point of taxes in the first place.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I'd pay. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post

Bike lanes would be beneficial to both drivers and bicyclist and looking at it in a larger frame, society as a whole, everyone should pay for it, that's the point of taxes in the first place.
But this is a better plan. More separation = more safety = fewer accidents = lower costs, higher productivity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive