Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times

Advertisements

Special Offers | M2 Auto Service

Brake service $29.99
Timing belt $99.99 (I thought this usually costs upwards of $500)

Does this seem fishy to you?

Was thinking of doing the Firestone brake service special for $99.99 and then adding in new rotors for extra...BUT $29.99 for brake service? I have never seen it that low...

BUT I am also thinking I can just install the rotors and pads myself - waddaya think? I do have a torque wrench but I think it needs calibration so I may have to borrow a TW from Autozone.

Question - I am getting some shuddering from the steering column while braking sometimes, is this a sufficient reason to change the rotors? I have already resurfaced these once, they are the stock rotors since I bought the truck, has 86,000 miles on them.

Last edited by k374; 05-11-2012 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 11:59 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Cheapest Timing Belt replacement I've seen was $390, which included replacing the fuel pump and belts. I wager if you came in for this special, they would find other things the Need to be done.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:00 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Hard to say if the prices are legit or not - although, ask yourself, when was the last time you bought something really cheap, and were really happy with it? Particularly the timing belt service - on most imports, a good, OEM quality belt, roller, and water pump (most it makes sense to change the water pump with the timing belt as it's inside, maybe run by the TB, and won't typically make it to the end of 2 TB change intervals) is close to $90, for just the parts. How much can they be paying their techs? What kind of a tech do you think you can hire for such chump change?

Stoptech has a good internet article on why brakes judder. Usually it's not actual mechanical warping of the rotor.

I have frequently got away with just putting in new, high quality pads, put some correct grease on the caliper pins, maybe spray some anti- squeal stuff on the *back* of the pads before installing them.

On many Japanese cars, the OEM brake kit includes all the little anti-rattle, anti-squeal parts, aftermarket frequently does not include these.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:57 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I don't get the prices for the timing belt since they claim it includes parts and labor. My guess is there are a lot of restrictions on that or they are only talking about the actual belt and nothing that normally goes along with a change.

On the oil change and brakes, I think the coupon is for labor only. The timing belt one specifies, "parts and labor", the others don't say anything like that. My guess, is the coupon means $9.99 for labor and then you pay for filter, oil and disposal separate. Same deal on the brakes, $29.99 for the labor, parts are going to be extra.

On the actual brake replacement, it is an easy enough job if you know how to do it. My biggest complaint on the chain shops is that while the pricing is comeptitive, they are generally using crap parts, though the pricing makes it tempting.

If you have already cut the rotors once and are no getting some shimmying under braking, I would recommend replacing the rotors when you do the pads.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:17 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Cheapest Timing Belt replacement I've seen was $390, which included replacing the fuel pump and belts. I wager if you came in for this special, they would find other things the Need to be done.
What car engine drives the fuel pump off the timing belt?

Old 05-11-2012, 01:20 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
k374 ... you didn't mention what your truck is ...

but I've seen way too many front brake rotors warped by techs (or tire shops) not properly torquing the wheel fasteners in sequence. Even if the rotor isn't immediately warped, the stress risers from uneven or overtorquing (usually via rattle wrench) will affect the rotor as it goes through heat/cool cycling.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:00 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
2004 Nissan Frontier XE 2.4 4cyl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive